I have a question, but it is probably a bad idea to ask it

Rev_Hal

OK, I have a question that is going to rip the scab off of an old wound. But I have to admit that I saw something yesterday that made me think long and hard. and I just have to get this question off my chest.

Yesterday, Freddie did a skit where he ran over a dummy dressed up like a Panther's fan on his 4 wheeler. He ran over it once, backed over it, and then rolled on top of it and bounced up and down. It was pretty funny, and totally non offensive.

After watching that, how can the Hickory Stick and Falco be deemed too violent? When the team mascot is simulating murder, how is anything that Falco has ever been depicted doing be objectionable?

I am not an employee of the Falcons, but I am associated with them, and I have always tried my best to defend the company. As a fan, I would just like to understand what the standards of the team actually are, and what is deemed "acceptable". I don't know if what I am seeing is a double standard, but from the outside it appears it might be.

I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause trouble. I love the team and these message boards, and I am a big fan of Falco. I want to see Falco for years, and the Hickory Stick has become something I imagined it never could be.

Please understand that I am asking this question with the upmost respect. I know all of the people involved with the message board situations, and I consider them all my friends. They are really good people who are doing their best to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. I have tremendous admiration for everyone involved.

I apologize in advance if this post causes any problems. It is not my intent. I just have a question as a fan that I would love if someone addressed.

To whoever reads and respoonds, I thank you for your input.

I am not an employee of the Falcons, but I am associated with them, and I have always tried my best to defend the company. As a fan, I would just like to understand what the standards of the team actually are, and what is deemed "acceptable". I don't know if what I am seeing is a double standard, but from the outside it appears it might be.

It is a double standard and that is why so many fans on AFMB were up in arms and sending emails and letters to the office for an explanantion. When the HSA was about to be canned and the cartoon as well many pointed out that at half time the mascots were engaged in some type of Pro Wrestling skit which was visually violent. It got worked out in the end and we have our award and toons back in an official capacity. Hope this helps.

Folks need to lighten up a bit. This is a football MB and is no way comparable to real life. People need to keep things in prespective and not try so dam hard to be PC.

Supes is da man!

If Falco & the cartoon were limited to the MB then there never would have been a problem. But it's on the Falcon's external website and the public sees it which makes Hal's question is very valid. What if they had showed that on TV instead of Freddie's Grand-ma-ma dance? IMO, that would be much more damaging PR than the Falco cartoon ever could have been (more TV viewers than unique website hits I'm sure).

I do agree with vabchbirdlover, the entire country is to dam PC. Everyone needs to lighten up and get a sense of humor.

Listen, I love the Falcons as much as anyone, but here is the answer:

Like most corporations, there are people within the Falcons executive offices who have different agendas and different ideas about what is acceptable to be associated with the "brand."

Some folks with the Falcons obviously have a looser sense of what is acceptable then others.

As much as they would like for you to believe that they are all on the same page.....i.e....a united organization....they aren't.

The only reason any of us have any interest in them at all is because their end product is a professional football team.

Without that end product, they are no different than IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Coca-Cola or CoolRay Heating and Air.....with the same possible pinheads making decisions.

As long as they leave Dimitroff and Smitty alone I don't really care that much.

If this situation is resolved then that's great. I also think this question is very legit also. It NEVER made sense. The game itself is one of the most violent of the major sports I believe if not THE most (think of the wood William Moore laid yesterday), but that's accepted and cheered. Things you just described about the mascot is depicting violence but accepted as harmless fun by all including me so I never understood the problem with the HSA either. It's a freaking cartoon.

I hate to have to add this last part, but all that I am believes there was more to it then PC cause in reality everything about professional football is violent, so much so a lot of these guys end up with hip replacement, multiple surgeries, in some cases brain damage AND a wayyy shorter life span than the avg person due to it, but we are worried about a cartoon being too violent? C'mon MANNNN. What would Tom n Jerry say?

I wish I could tell ya Rev what that was about, but I don't think we'll ever REALLY know. I'm just glad it's over.

Edited by DBFever2

OK, I have a question that is going to rip the scab off of an old wound. But I have to admit that I saw something yesterday that made me think long and hard. and I just have to get this question off my chest.

Yesterday, Freddie did a skit where he ran over a dummy dressed up like a Panther's fan on his 4 wheeler. He ran over it once, backed over it, and then rolled on top of it and bounced up and down. It was pretty funny, and totally non offensive.

After watching that, how can the Hickory Stick and Falco be deemed too violent? When the team mascot is simulating murder, how is anything that Falco has ever been depicted doing be objectionable?

I'm not trying to stir the pot or cause trouble. I love the team and these message boards, and I am a big fan of Falco. I want to see Falco for years, and the Hickory Stick has become something I imagined it never could be.

Please understand that I am asking this question with the upmost respect. I know all of the people involved with the message board situations, and I consider them all my friends. They are really good people who are doing their best to do their jobs to the best of their abilities. I have tremendous admiration for everyone involved.

I apologize in advance if this post causes any problems. It is not my intent. I just have a question as a fan that I would love if someone addressed.

Color me stunned that you posted this. I owe you an apology, and since you know not "what for", let's leave it at that, and I'll just say, "I apologize."

Nice post, Rev. And btw, I didn't get it, and don't get it either.

Some people are overly sensitive, Hal. In your profession (or calling if that be the case), you can not afford to worry about those those things.

If the Saints come back here, I'd like to see Falco with the hickory stick in hand, looking sternly at the Saints and the caption reading...”what did I tell you about going to the potty on the field?” I am sure this would be offensive, violent and vulgar to some. It would just be funny to me. To each his own...

Listen, I love the Falcons as much as anyone, but here is the answer:

Like most corporations, there are people within the Falcons executive offices who have different agendas and different ideas about what is acceptable to be associated with the "brand."

Some folks with the Falcons obviously have a looser sense of what is acceptable then others.

As much as they would like for you to believe that they are all on the same page.....i.e....a united organization....they aren't.

The only reason any of us have any interest in them at all is because their end product is a professional football team.

Without that end product, they are no different than IBM, Hewlett-Packard, Coca-Cola or CoolRay Heating and Air.....with the same possible pinheads making decisions.

As long as they leave Dimitroff and Smitty alone I don't really care that much.

Color me stunned that you posted this. I owe you an apology, and since you know not "what for", let's leave it at that, and I'll just say, "I apologize."

Two good posts!

I would love, but realize it will never come to fruition, to see someone in the management come onto the message board and give a response. Even if I didn't like it I would withhold response and just respect the fact that they did. When it boils down to it we are visitors on this site which is owned by the Atlanta Falcons Company. They are here to make money and if they view something as harmful they have a right to remove or edit it. I understand and respect that.

I just think there have been too many of us that have stood up for the company and defended the organization to not get a simple response to a question like this. Like I said, even if I didn't like it I would respect it.

I would love, but realize it will never come to fruition, to see someone in the management come onto the message board and give a response. Even if I didn't like it I would withhold response and just respect the fact that they did. When it boils down to it we are visitors on this site which is owned by the Atlanta Falcons Company. They are here to make money and if they view something as harmful they have a right to remove or edit it. I understand and respect that.

I just think there have been too many of us that have stood up for the company and defended the organization to not get a simple response to a question like this. Like I said, even if I didn't like it I would respect it.

While maybe you would, few others would. The best response in no response because a response always offends a part of the fan base.

Who are you? Since I dont know you, you have nothing to apologize for.

i thought falco was driving a golf cart. is it not light humor when having a 200 lb golf cart run over anything? the hsa debate imo was purely one's perspective vs. another.

It was Freddie Facon at the Dome on his ATV 4 wheeler that ran over the "panthers fan". Falco is a separate character, just to be clear.

Funny how the Aint commercial of the old man torturing a Bird fan is not too violent ...but a cartoon is ......... :blink: :blink: :blink: