Dunta’s Inferno: Robinson ready for first trip to the playoffs

Geneaut

Dunta’s Inferno: Robinson ready for first trip to the playoffs

6:55 am January 3, 2011, by D. Orlando Ledbetter

Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson reacts to the cheers of the fans on a defensive series against the Carolina Panthers during 1st half action. Curtis Compton / ccompton@ajc.com

Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson got his first interception of the season in the third quarter in the 31-10 rout of the Carolina Panthers.

The Falcons turned the interception into Michael Turner’s 3-yard touchdown run.

“I dropped a big one on Monday so I had to make up for it,” Robinson said. “The other thing is that I have to thank (Brent) Grimes for that. Grimes has been sending balls my way. One thing is for sure, if you keep sending them my way I’m going to get my hands on some of them.”

Long after most of the players had left the locker room, Robinson was still there relishing his first trip to the NFL playoffs with his two sons. The Athens native, played his first six seasons with the Houston Texans before signing with the Falcons as a free agent last March.

He was concerned about cornerback Brian Williams, who left the game with a knee injury and did not return to the action.

Williams, who had major reconstructive right knee surgery last season, was a key factor in stabilizing the secondary against the pass. He took over at nickel back for Christopher Owens midway through the season.

He’s also vital to the team’s blitz packages.

“You hate to lose a guy like Brian,” Robinson said. “It was good to see him walk off the field. He did walk inside. Hopefully, it’s something minor and it won’t keep him out long.”

Owens took over at nickel back for Williams against the Panthers.

Williams tore the anterior cruciate ligament and suffered other damage to his right knee in a 21-14 win over the Chicago Bears last season.

–D. Orlando Ledbetter

Is this normal for his articles? The title talks about Robinson's first trip to the playoffs, he spends a couple of lines talking about that.(with no real insight) He then shifts to the int, and ends writing about Williams and Owens. It seems like he had a couple of random thoughts, wrote them down and called it an article.

And what does "Dunat's Inferno" have to do with the article, nothing he wrote fits that either.

Is this normal for his articles? The title talks about Robinson's first trip to the playoffs, he spends a couple of lines talking about that.(with no real insight) He then shifts to the int, and ends writing about Williams and Owens. It seems like he had a couple of random thoughts, wrote them down and called it an article.

And what does "Dunat's Inferno" have to do with the article, nothing he wrote fits that either.

Sad, but true. Like he writes from his beadroom, with no access to anything going on with the players or in the locker room. He quoted the player's observation of Williams walking inside? Didn't he have enough curiosity to look for himself? Ask Williams himself? Just not great reporting.

I don't watch the film, but Robinson worries me. He barely got a finger on a Panthers WR that allowed him to get a 28-yard gain and get the Panthers out of lousy field position. Robinson then was beat on a bomb that should've been caught. Honestly, I don't see him earning his contract so far this year. He's looked like a dime-a-dozen CB, not a shut-down guy based on his salary.

Someone please convince me I'm wrong.

I thought he had a rough day other than the int. He was in good position on that play and hauled it in.

I think teams are going to REALLY target him in the playoffs. Most targeted Grimes during our win streak and all he did was rack up INTs. Dunta better be ready. Cause they will be coming at him.

I think Dunta is far better than Chris Houston, and marginally better than Owens or Brian Williams. He's been ok, but not great. He can REALLY earn his keep by stepping up with a couple INTs in the playoffs. I think he has the talent. He just needs to stay focused.

I thought he had a rough day other than the int. He was in good position on that play and hauled it in.

I think teams are going to REALLY target him in the playoffs. Most targeted Grimes during our win streak and all he did was rack up INTs. Dunta better be ready. Cause they will be coming at him.

I think Dunta is far better than Chris Houston, and marginally better than Owens or Brian Williams. He's been ok, but not great. He can REALLY earn his keep by stepping up with a couple INTs in the playoffs. I think he has the talent. He just needs to stay focused.

I don't know if he's still having issues with how BVG runs his scheme, but let's hope he ups his awareness throughout the playoffs. We really need for him to do better from here on out.