Can"t win SuperBowl

FalconsSavant

Enduring lesson from 2010: You can't win a Super Bowl by playing it safe. Atlanta's offense played missionary position football for four quarters and blew a winnable Saints game on Monday; it was almost like Marty Schottenheimer had put on a Mike Smith mask and hijacked the team. If the Falcons play that passively in January, they will lose just like Marty always did. Mark my words. Take it to the bank. Lock it down. End of story. Period. Fin. (And any other authoritative and slightly condescending conclusion you want to put here.)

I much rather have won on Monday than lost, however, we still control our own destiny to be the #1 seed in the NFC with a game against the NFL's worst team. We lost by 3 in a very winnable game in which our defense held one of the elite offenses in the league to 17 points (7 of their points came after a turnover on our side of the field). Other than making a statement, this game meant less to ATL than it did to NO. The last time our guys lost they went on a 8 game win streak. This time we only have to ask they do half that.

Edited by Sidious

just watched the game again as well, and it basically came down to us not converting on 3rd downs. We were 3 for 12... i believe we average about 50 percent or close. it seemed like they had usually 7 or 8 in the box to stop turner. there is no excuse why we should not be going to jenkins, douglas, or gonzo. they had roddy double covered alot but we have 3 other options. murlarky is the problem here he needs to see the matchups and call a play for whoever is open.

Playoff teams will be loading the box much like N.O did on monday,its on our coordinator to make the correct calls. Turner needs to hit the holes quicker and harder he is dancing alot in the backfield. heres an idea -how about some screen passes or shots down the field when teams crowd the line

Playoff teams will be loading the box much like N.O did on monday,its on our coordinator to make the correct calls. Turner needs to hit the holes quicker and harder he is dancing alot in the backfield. heres an idea -how about some screen passes or shots down the field when teams crowd the line

we have submitted your app for new OC for falcons....be rest assured you will be notified soon.

Umm... Define "playing it safe", please. Do you mean that there's a down side to taking chances? I can hear the collective groan from the board if we ran a flea flicker and somehow the play blew up and it changed the course of the game.

We're good at what we do and although I'd love to see us chew up bigger chunks of yardage at times, I love it more when we put another notch in the "W" column, regardless of style points.

Can't win a superbowl playing it safe, but you sure as **** can win one playing it smart. There is a subtle difference. You play percentages based on how your team is performing each game. If the offense is clicking, you go for it on 4th & 6 late in the game down by 3 on your side of the 50. If the defense has been stuffing the opponent & the offense has been stagnant, you punt the ball in the same situation and ride the group that has been playing well that game.

You can be risk takers all the time, but the downside is that you're still taking risks. Big risks, big rewards, but what all the people without a real chip in the game forget is that the bigger the risk the bigger the potential loss as well.

I agree with your assessment of the game plan, but I think the approached served a purpose.

We were trying to win without showing our best playbook offensively. We did show them all we could defensively. To quote an old country song, "You have to have an ace in the hole..."

I think we tried to go in and win the game straight up on offense. We played to win, but we also held some tricks back for later. Smith talks often about playing week-to-week, but also making decision for the long term. I think our "conservative" game plan was making the right decision for the long haul. We will show them more in the post season.

I look at it this way. We just about beat the defending champions without having to show our post season playbook. Battle to the Saints...check back and we'll see who wins the war. I think we are in a good place strategically.

Ryan's got to hit the deep routes. I'm watching the ARI game and he just missed HD wide open in the end zone. Even his long completions were not in stride. That is really the only chink in his armor.

Douglas is our weak link. hands down. He usually can't get wide open like most slots single covered. We would be better served with Finneran on all of Douglas' plays until he recovers mentally from his injury.

I agree with your assessment of the game plan, but I think the approached served a purpose.

We were trying to win without showing our best playbook offensively. We did show them all we could defensively. To quote an old country song, "You have to have an ace in the hole..."

I think we tried to go in and win the game straight up on offense. We played to win, but we also held some tricks back for later. Smith talks often about playing week-to-week, but also making decision for the long term. I think our "conservative" game plan was making the right decision for the long haul. We will show them more in the post season.

I look at it this way. We just about beat the defending champions without having to show our post season playbook. Battle to the Saints...check back and we'll see who wins the war. I think we are in a good place strategically.

The Saints D on Monday looked jacked up on greenies like the 1970's Steelers and had stolen our O game plan/ play book a few days earlier....

The 2000 Ravens had one of the most unproductive offenses in the NFL while they had Shannon Sharpe and Jamal Lewis to support Trent freaking Dilfer.

They managed to beat the Giants in SB35 in embarrassing fashion 34-7 largely on defense and special teams and the Giants thumped the Vikings 41-0 in that NFCCG...I'm not worried about what happened on Monday night. We take care of buisness tommorrow and nothing changes. Only difference is we'll be the NFCS champion and #1 seed as 13-3 instead of 14-2. Remember the 07 Pats? 18-1 doesn't mean jack.

Edited by JOKER2

Douglas is our weak link. hands down. He usually can't get wide open like most slots single covered. We would be better served with Finneran on all of Douglas' plays until he recovers mentally from his injury.

Just saw HD get wide open on ARI. I remember him getting deep on NO and maybe two other teams. Ryan's got to hit him in stride.

Remember the reason why we're 12-3 and we're still sitting at the top of the NFC.

Falcons play their own game, thats how they win.

When it comes to playoffs. I'm sure MM would be bringing out some of those big plays. But remember, this style of offense is based on Ryans development. Run first.