Lessons for Week 17

vel

FALCONS (-14.5) over Panthers

At stake: For Atlanta, the No. 1 seed in the NFC. For the Panthers, they've already clinched the No. 1 pick -- that means John Fox already boxed up his office, tipped the janitors, put his house on the market and took one last regretful, "It didn't have to play out this way" glare at Matt Moore.

Why you should pick the Falcons: Because you don't want to be stuck with Clausen trailing by 17 in the Georgia Dome as the announcer says, "It's time for Jimmy Clausen to make something happen."

Enduring lesson from 2010:You can't win a Super Bowl by playing it safe. Atlanta's offense played missionary position football for four quarters and blew a winnable Saints game on Monday; it was almost like Marty Schottenheimer had put on a Mike Smith mask and hijacked the team. If the Falcons play that passively in January, they will lose just like Marty always did. Mark my words. Take it to the bank. Lock it down. End of story. Period. Fin. (And any other authoritative and slightly condescending conclusion you want to put here.)

I'm glad somebody at ESPN watched the game.

Enduring lesson from 2010:You can't win a Super Bowl by playing it safe. Atlanta's offense played missionary position football for four quarters and blew a winnable Saints game on Monday; it was almost like Marty Schottenheimer had put on a Mike Smith mask and hijacked the team. If the Falcons play that passively in January, they will lose just like Marty always did. Mark my words. Take it to the bank. Lock it down. End of story. Period. Fin. (And any other authoritative and slightly condescending conclusion you want to put here.)

Well, whaddaya know?

Somebody else saw it the same way I did.

It reminded me of the Steelers game where we seemed to be coached entirely from the fetal position

Simmons picked the Falcons to make the SB.

FALCONS (-14.5) over Panthers

At stake: For Atlanta, the No. 1 seed in the NFC. For the Panthers, they've already clinched the No. 1 pick -- that means John Fox already boxed up his office, tipped the janitors, put his house on the market and took one last regretful, "It didn't have to play out this way" glare at Matt Moore.

Why you should pick the Falcons: Because you don't want to be stuck with Clausen trailing by 17 in the Georgia Dome as the announcer says, "It's time for Jimmy Clausen to make something happen."