How does Itunes stay in business?

wuskillzz

I got a $25 Itunes gift card for Christmas and decided to use it. It was my first experience using it since I buy my music through Amazon. Anyways, the albums I was interested in were $15 through Itunes compared to $4 -$5 on Amazon. I could have bought at least five albums through Amazon versus less than two through Itunes. How can Itunes compete with such higher prices besides people cashing in gift cards.

I got a $25 Itunes gift card for Christmas and decided to use it. It was my first experience using it since I buy my music through Amazon. Anyways, the albums I was interested in were $15 through Itunes compared to $4 -$5 on Amazon. I could have bought at least five albums through Amazon versus less than two through Itunes. How can Itunes compete with such higher prices besides people cashing in gift cards.

I've never bought music on Amazon. Are they downloads or do you wait for a cd in the mail? If it's a cd that could be why. I have always used itunes but I had read about some much cheaper options that I wanted to try. I was just a little scared to give my credit card info to someone that I was unsure about. I never buy whole albums just individual songs.

I've never bought music on Amazon. Are they downloads or do you wait for a cd in the mail? If it's a cd that could be why. I have always used itunes but I had read about some much cheaper options that I wanted to try. I was just a little scared to give my credit card info to someone that I was unsure about. I never buy whole albums just individual songs.

send me your credit card info and I will make the purchases for you. Problem solved.

I thought this was going to be a thread about DIRTY STINKIN TRACK JACKERS!!!! DON'T LET ME CATCH ANY TRACK JACKERS!!!!!!

Also, Flip...quit using iTunes man. Amazon is cheaper per song, and by the album. And the tracks are mp3 format...so you can use them in any device. Basically it doesn't have Apple's stupid DRM...you'll actually "own" what you pay for.

They are downloads. You have to download some software from Amazon before you buy. The downloads go to your Itunes account though without you having to do anything.

Amazon is trying to cut into iTunes business. iTunes has around 60% of all music downloads and Amazon is second at around 15%. I got Kanye West's new album for $3.99 on Amazon. I think enough people just don't know Amazon has the same thing mp3-wise for way cheaper. Competition is good.

I have an iphone and my daughters have ipods but I will never buy music from iTunes. They sell music in mp4 format and have all kinds of restrictions on it. Mp4 files also can only be played by apple hardware, etc... If you buy in mp3 format from Amazon or somewhere else there are no restrictions and you can play the songs on other hardware besides apple products.

Buying music on itunes makes no sense whatsoever to me.

.mp4 is video dude. apples using aac, and you can play aac files with non apple devices. the problem is that you can rip the music on to CDs or take it off your itunes. also the format really doesnt matter. the problem is the DRM. now EMI music from itunes is DRM free. also apple is in bed with these labels and they want DRM. you think apple cares about DRM? pshh they still make their money. its the music companies that care.

here is a summary of a letter on apples website called thought on music by steve jobs.

On February 6, 2007, Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple Inc., published an open letter entitled Thoughts on Music on the Apple website calling on the "big four" music companies to sell their music without DRM.[17] According to Jobs, Apple does not want to use DRM but is forced by the four major musical labels with whom Apple negotiates contracts for iTunes. Jobs's main points were:

DRM has never and will never be perfect. Hackers will always find a method to break DRM.

DRM restrictions only hurt people using music legally. Illegal users aren't affected by DRM.

The restrictions of DRM encourage users to obtain unrestricted music which is usually only possible via illegal methods.

The vast majority of music is sold without DRM via CDs which has proven successful.

Jobs' letter was met with some praise but many others criticized Apple's hypocritical approach to DRM. While openly criticizing DRM, Apple has been actively threatening or suing anybody trying to open their own DRM or make it interoperable. Critics claim that this is not because Apple is afraid of illegal copies but because it gives them an advantage in their market position as a leader in both electronic music sales (iTunes) and in music players (iPod), reinforcing each other due to the FairPlay DRM.

Edited by GEORGlAfan

I have an iphone and my daughters have ipods but I will never buy music from iTunes. They sell music in mp4 format and have all kinds of restrictions on it. Mp4 files also can only be played by apple hardware, etc... If you buy in mp3 format from Amazon or somewhere else there are no restrictions and you can play the songs on other hardware besides apple products.

Buying music on itunes makes no sense whatsoever to me.

I only buy songs from iTunes that I cannot find somewhere else. It's a pain in the butt, but I burn them on CD-RW media then and save them in WMA or mp3 format on Media Player so that I can listen to them on my Walkman.

Sorry not mp4, m4p (aac protected). Why is it that you can buy songs from Amazon in mp3 format that doesn't have these restrictions? As long as Amazon doesn't have restrictions and iTunes does, I will buy from Amazon.

they shouldnt. i believe itunes removed them back in 09.

http://www.macworld.com/article/137946/2009/01/itunestore.html

here is an article where they talk about it.

id recommend amazon over itunes purely off price. im just trying to keep everyone informed.

Edited by GEORGlAfan