Just rewatched the game

xSmittSx

I was there Monday and pretty toasty but I remember letting out a giant WTF when they called that double PI call. Now after rewatching the game I can say that might be one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen. Jabari Greer has both of Roddy's arms and Roddy does the little "get the **** off me noob" push. How the **** is that not defensive PI? Horrible call.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL likes to keeps its interaction with officials out of the public eye, but I'd bet Ed Hochuli will be told not to make up B.S. calls on the fly. I think Hochuli would have liked to pick the flag up, be he'd just done that the play before on a personal foul call that he'd talked another official out of ruling, so Ed, in his infinite wisdom, thought he'd call pass interference on both teams. That cost Atlanta a big gainer.

Yeah I watched the game twice and couldn't see how that was a double PI. If anything Roddy held Greer up who was all discombobulated and falling backwards after being turned around by him. A friend of mine (Eagle fan) said the call should have been on White. LOL! Silly Eagle fan...

Herculi got that call wrong!

Now, I've seen a double penalty on the receiver and covering corner before, but it was PI on the receiver and illegal contact by the corner. And times I've seen it called, the receiver gets the call becuase of the corner impeading the receivers route. And if you listen to Jaws and Gruden, I think they both had to bite their tongue and that call..and Gruden had to hold back a laugh...esp since he's thinking about going back into coaching

I don't see why the NFL doesn't allow an offensive player to defend himself. If the defender is going to drape himself all over the receiver then the receiver should be allowed to get the guy off of him.

They do. Ever seen a running back get called for facemask? Alot of them grab it when trying to stiffarm. But the double PI was total BS.

I still want to know how it was a running into the kicker call and not roughing? Running into the kicker often suggest that the defender was pushed or blocked into the kicker. That guy clearly ran over Koenen on that play. To me that was a more bogus call than the double PI.

I agree with Smitty. The running/roughing should be made one call. Make it a PF or a 5 yarder all the time,not an either or. Should be just like the facemask call is now.

Now, I've seen a double penalty on the receiver and covering corner before, but it was PI on the receiver and illegal contact by the corner. And times I've seen it called, the receiver gets the call becuase of the corner impeading the receivers route. And if you listen to Jaws and Gruden, I think they both had to bite their tongue and that call..and Gruden had to hold back a laugh...esp since he's thinking about going back into coaching

That's what the call should have been illegal contact and offensive PI Roddy used his arms to get separation from Greer, but imwouldnt expect a group of homers to agree so...

I agree with Smitty. The running/roughing should be made one call. Make it a PF or a 5 yarder all the time,not an either or. Should be just like the facemask call is now.

While we are on calls and what not what about the PI on Porter in the endzone, play shouldn't have happened, because Will Smith was getting *** raped by your left tackle. They even have pictures of it. Bottom line you loss I am sorry you felt calls didn't go your way, but 1 penalty for 5 yards isn't a bad stat.

This was just a matter of White's reputation catching up with him. He did give Greer his patented shove in the back to get seperation right at the end. He did it last year on Greer, he did it against Baltimore. This time around, officials were keen to watch him and this time he got caught.

Too bad. They also missed faceguarding on Decoud. He didn't even know the ball hit him trying to cover Moore in the end-zone.

Too bad. We won. That is all. ^_^

While we are on calls and what not what about the PI on Porter in the endzone, play shouldn't have happened, because Will Smith was getting *** raped by your left tackle. They even have pictures of it. Bottom line you loss I am sorry you felt calls didn't go your way, but 1 penalty for 5 yards isn't a bad stat.

I'm not complaining about the calls. I just think they should take the interpretation out of the kicker call. Not just this game but all games.

I still want to know how it was a running into the kicker call and not roughing? Running into the kicker often suggest that the defender was pushed or blocked into the kicker. That guy clearly ran over Koenen on that play. To me that was a more bogus call than the double PI.

Roughing the kicker is called when the defender does not allow the kickers "plant leg/foot" to land ( ie. takes out his non-kicking leg, and he falls to the ground ). Running into is just that, running into.

It really hinges on where the defender hits the kicker.

I was there Monday and pretty toasty but I remember letting out a giant WTF when they called that double PI call. Now after rewatching the game I can say that might be one of the dumbest calls I've ever seen. Jabari Greer has both of Roddy's arms and Roddy does the little "get the **** off me noob" push. How the **** is that not defensive PI? Horrible call.

The call was a sham and needs to be investigated by the nfl and addressed. At best, its a no call. But to make up a double PI is nonsense. White was interfered with. Maybe, just maybe, Roddys talk/tweets played a subliminal part in the refs mind. I dunno but it was a very low moment in officiating this year and that play alone may have changed the entire dynamic of the game. Up to that point Roddy was playing Greer like a drum and our offense was on a roll. It never picked back up from that moment on. Our coaching staff MUST develop a surefire game plan to overcome what the Saints D did to our offense. Unless, and only unless, our staff held back our playbook for the sake of not revealing our playoff hand, then they ought to be ashamed of not adjusting the game plan to counter the saints strategy. I hope I do not hurt anyones feelings but I bet if you let Ryan draw up a few plays on his own, we would have had better luck. How bout naked bootlegs? Jenkins was key but HD surely has to know where the soft zones are. What the **** were we doing that night? You think Bellicek would have had an answer and made those pricks pay dearly for stacking the line? Your dam right he would have!!!!!!!!! I will say this again and it just might be one of the most important things our team must have. WE ABSOLUTELY MUST BEGIN DOING SOME IN-GAME ADJUSTMENTS. We cannot afford to wait until the half. Bellicek and Brady adjust instantaneously to the task at hand. They have scnearios in place BEFORE the game that they switch to when they get new looks. X's and O's... Sorry for the frustration but we looked like deer in headlights on Monday and I am still upset.

This was just a matter of White's reputation catching up with him. He did give Greer his patented shove in the back to get seperation right at the end. He did it last year on Greer, he did it against Baltimore. This time around, officials were keen to watch him and this time he got caught.

Too bad. They also missed faceguarding on Decoud. He didn't even know the ball hit him trying to cover Moore in the end-zone.

Too bad. We won. That is all. ^_^

BS, it was a horrible call. Had Greer not been interfering with him then Roddy wouldn't have had to do anything to free himself of Greer's groping.

Further faceguarding isn't illegal so they didn't miss jack crap. Decoud did a perfect job of reading the receiver's eyes and putting his hands up at the right time and place...

BS, it was a horrible call. Had Greer not been interfering with him then Roddy wouldn't have had to do anything to free himself of Greer's groping.

Further faceguarding isn't illegal so they didn't miss jack crap. Decoud did a perfect job of reading the receiver's eyes and putting his hands up at the right time and place...

Defenders are allowed to jostle if they are getting in position with eyes postioned on the flight of the ball, just as offensive players are. NEITHER is allowed to re-direct or push. White has a reputation for that and will be watched closely for it from now on.

Faceguarding is pass interference. It is illegal. It is a penalty. You MUST turn and lookfor/play on the ball. It's that simple. I wouldn't expect a Falcon "fan" to know this, but thems the facts.

Edited by Saintdogg

Defenders are allowed to jostle if they are getting in position with eyes postioned on the flight of the ball, just as offensive players are. NEITHER is allowed to re-direct or push. White has a reputation for that and will be watched closely for it from now on.

Faceguarding is pass interference. It is illegal. It is a penalty. You MUST turn and lookfor/play on the ball. It's that simple. I wouldn't expect a Falcon "fan" to know this, but thems the facts.

Answer from a former NFL Ref:My link

Can you call pass interference on a defender if he is turned toward the wide receiver, not looking at the ball, waves his arms, but doesn't touch the wide receiver at all? Say the ball is in the air and hits the defender in the arm because he deflects the pass. Again, he doesn't touch the WR, but isn't looking at the ball either. --Dawn Polomsky, Phoenix, Ariz.

Many years ago, there was a penalty on pass plays for "face guarding." What you describe is face guarding. There is no penalty under current NFL rules for this act, unless there is physical contact. If the ball hits the defender, as you describe, the play would be legal. It is dangerous for a defender to turn his back on the direction that the ball is coming from. If he contacts the intended receiver, it would be pass interference because the defender is not playing the ball. You seldom see what you describe, but it would not be a foul.

Of course, we can't expect a Saints fan to know that.

In 31 years of playing/watching football, I've NEVER seen offsetting interference called nor has Mike Smith or any of his mentors (that's what he said).

As for faceguarding, you are wrong. Decoud made no illegal contact, therefore no flag.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4778957_nfl-rules-face-guarding.html

Then again, I wouldn't expect a Saints fan to know how to read but thems the real facts...

Seriously, dude? How can there be pass interference if the DB doesn't touch the reciever? 'Splain that to me.

Decoud didn't touch Moore until after the ball hit him. Good play by Decoud.

Can you call pass interference on a defender if he is turned toward the wide receiver, not looking at the ball, waves his arms, but doesn't touch the wide receiver at all? Say the ball is in the air and hits the defender in the arm because he deflects the pass. Again, he doesn't touch the WR, but isn't looking at the ball either. --Dawn Polomsky, Phoenix, Ariz.

Many years ago, there was a penalty on pass plays for "face guarding." What you describe is face guarding. There is no penalty under current NFL rules for this act, unless there is physical contact. If the ball hits the defender, as you describe, the play would be legal. It is dangerous for a defender to turn his back on the direction that the ball is coming from. If he contacts the intended receiver, it would be pass interference because the defender is not playing the ball. You seldom see what you describe, but it would not be a foul.

What you described is not what happened on this play and not even close. What you described is like the ball inadvertently hitting a linebacker 10 yards away from the target. Basically a tipped ball, or otherwise a ball severely underthrown such that the defender is yards away from whoever he is covering.

On the Moore play, Decoud not only touched Moore, he knocked him down in the end-zone and didn't have a clue the ball even hit him. This was a missed call and an OBVIOUS facegurading penalty. Thems the facts clown, and your team still lost despite this.

He hits Lance though... What Lance should have done was go try to catch the ball, but the defender does hit Lance my HD tv shows it!