BVG

RYNE

I think after watching mondays game we have learned something. We have the players to be a good defense. The problem has been the lack of creativity. BVG had a heck of a creative gameplan the first have and it worked amazingly. If we are able to get brees down on half of those plays that looked like for sure sacks than we win that football game. I'm going to be really interested to see what our D looks like on sunday. I hope we look like the first half rather than the 2nd and the rest of the season. But at the same time idk if BVG wants to show everything agianst the panthers. But then again it is a must win game so I don't know lol. One other quick note is I'd of like to of seen owens in for williams on those nickel blitzes. Owens is a harder hitter and I think would of got brees down. Thoughts?

The thing I would add is please no more zone blitzes.

Abraham should not be dropping into coverage even though he had a pick Monday.

I actually saw Jared Allen last night fall back into coverage.

Guess what? He got burned, too. I hate that coverage. I don't think we've had any success with it.

I actually saw Jared Allen last night fall back into coverage.

Guess what? He got burned, too. I hate that coverage. I don't think we've had any success with it.

I was just about to ask that...

It seems like we've run it almost every game and all I can remember is it giving up yardage and/or a first down and me b@tching about Abraham being in coverage.

Did it even work against Clausen?

zone blitz's only work against bad opposing QB's. wont work on good teams led by good QB's. the best way to blitz a team with a good qb is by sending pressure with 2 LB's and 3 lineman. need to man up and have good coverage on the other end. we were doing that successfully against the saints for the majority of the game.

The zone blitz is fine with the right personnel at DE, but Abraham, Anderson, Biermann and Davis don't really fill the bill. I still think we'll see a whole lot of blitzing, though, the rest of the way. Despite whiffing on Brees a half-dozen times, and despite the fact that he completed something around 80% against the blitz, they were very effective because they forced checkdowns that the safeties and corners had covered. Brees YPA was 6.2 for the game, and that's extremely good against that offense.

I think the blitz-heavy defense we saw Monday was an indicator for next week (Clausen is pathetic against the blitz) and probably throughout the playoffs. If BVG, Glenn Pires and Tim Lewis can fine tune what their guys do once they get into the backfield, we'll probably see a lot sacks over the next few weeks.

Edited by JOEinPHX

Whats wrong with the way we played in the 2nd half? We gave up one td in the 2nd half.

When Abe and Jam drop back they are not covering anyone, they drop back when the coaches feel that the offense might try a quick pass, and they were right when they dropped Jam back on the Lance Moore play.

The only problem anyone should have with the way our D played is how many sacks we missed.

You cant stop teams on every play, but for the aints to have the ball for 36 minutes and only get 17 points our D played great.

I think the only issue our defense faced was the inability to stop passes over the middle. It seems as if all of their yards came from over the middle.

We have areas to get better, but I hardly expected to see a topic on BVG and his defense after that Monday night game. As a unit, they played probably their best defensive game of the season.

Whats wrong with the way we played in the 2nd half? We gave up one td in the 2nd half.

When Abe and Jam drop back they are not covering anyone, they drop back when the coaches feel that the offense might try a quick pass, and they were right when they dropped Jam back on the Lance Moore play.

The only problem anyone should have with the way our D played is how many sacks we missed.

You cant stop teams on every play, but for the aints to have the ball for 36 minutes and only get 17 points our D played great.

The difference is the way we played in the 2nd half is how we played all year. A below average defense. The first half we played like a defense that could be something special against one heck of an offense.

The difference is the way we played in the 2nd half is how we played all year. A below average defense. The first half we played like a defense that could be something special against one heck of an offense.

I think you're completely wrong. The Saints had 1 good drive in the 2nd half that killed us, but it was only 1 drive for 2 quarters. Our defense definitely did not lose that game for us, if anything they kept us in the game. We had 2 very important turnovers in the 2nd half on defense. I just don't see how you're criticizing the defense at all.

I think you're completely wrong. The Saints had 1 good drive in the 2nd half that killed us, but it was only 1 drive for 2 quarters. Our defense definitely did not lose that game for us, if anything they kept us in the game. We had 2 very important turnovers in the 2nd half on defense. I just don't see how you're criticizing the defense at all.

I'm not saying they played bad. I said bvg stopped the blitzing and being creative. Our D played well the whole game. Those two turnovers we got were more saint errors then what we did. Brees' stupid pass right to chauncy davis. And letting ABE of all people go unblocked. True abe made a great play. But there is no way in h*ll any team should ever let abe run free

This game was great for us in my opinion. It showed the BVG has the ability to dial up great blitzes and a game plan. Plus it shows that we have player with a lot of talent on defense. I think if we would have played with that kinda gameplan all year our total defense would of been waaaaaay better. Not below average

I'm not saying they played bad. I said bvg stopped the blitzing and being creative. Our D played well the whole game. Those two turnovers we got were more saint errors then what we did. Brees' stupid pass right to chauncy davis. And letting ABE of all people go unblocked. True abe made a great play. But there is no way in h*ll any team should ever let abe run free

You sound like an ESPN or NFL Network analyst. Basically, our players played no part in the turnovers, it was Brees fault completely. I don't get it, if you honestly think they intentionally let the DE that is leading the NFL in sacks this season run free, then I have to question your reasoning.

Our defense made great plays, you might have saw it differently, but on both of those plays, we had several D-Linemen in the backfield, and they were pretty much there all night in just about all 4 quarters of gameplay. I don't think the gameplan changed much from the 1st and 2nd quarters, but they did run more empty sets in the 2nd half, and I'm sure that did play a part on blitzing, but if you really think blitzing is the best way to handle a 5-wide set then again I have to question your reasoning.

Maybe you need to watch that play again. Abe ran untouched. It was a blocking breakdown. I said abe made a great play. They showed a replay right after it and said..."Why would you let john abraham of all people run free". But yes your right we did have people all over brees on the davis int, but it was still a stupid pass.

--- I hardly expected to see a topic on BVG and his defense after that Monday night game. As a unit, they played probably their best defensive game of the season.

I have had 2 threads about firing BVG prior to the Saints game, and even I complimented BVG and the defense for this game. There are 2 criticisms still: 1) the poor tackling that drives me up a frikking wall continued; 2) we stopped blitzing and reverted to soft zone on the Saints final TD drive. Maybe--- just maybe--- if we had kept the pressure up on that drive as well, the defense could have rescued the offense for a change. But to have held the Saints to 17 points, and to have had a pick-6? The offense crapped the bed and cost us a crucial win.

I have had 2 threads about firing BVG prior to the Saints game, and even I complimented BVG and the defense for this game. There are 2 criticisms still: 1) the poor tackling that drives me up a frikking wall continued; 2) we stopped blitzing and reverted to soft zone on the Saints final TD drive. Maybe--- just maybe--- if we had kept the pressure up on that drive as well, the defense could have rescued the offense for a change. But to have held the Saints to 17 points, and to have had a pick-6? The offense crapped the bed and cost us a crucial win.

Exactly. Well put. We missed so many freaking sacks. it was sick. If we get those sacks its a completely different game. Throw in the int robinson dropped and the turner goal line fumble and that's the ball game. You know I think instead of "the falcons got exposed" the topic of the day on espn should of been " the saints escape the georgia dome" that sounds more like what happened.

I have to say I think BVG has been building up for this all year and we are finally seeing with the FO's draft philosophy of drafting speed and urgency on the defensive side of the ball.As already mentioned in this thread it was easily the best game the defence has played this year and against Brees especially you have to make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket or he'll tear you apart with time.

If B.Williams makes those tackles on Brees for sacks this is a different result we'd be talking about.

I have to say I think BVG has been building up for this all year and we are finally seeing with the FO's draft philosophy of drafting speed and urgency on the defensive side of the ball.As already mentioned in this thread it was easily the best game the defence has played this year and against Brees especially you have to make him feel uncomfortable in the pocket or he'll tear you apart with time.

If B.Williams makes those tackles on Brees for sacks this is a different result we'd be talking about.

I agree 100 percent. Drafting speed is paying off. And I have said about williams getting those sacks about ten times.

Brian Williams missing 57389479 sack opportunities does not let the offense off the hook for scoring a whopping 7 points. The Saints defense is all right, but they're not an elite, stifling defense by any stretch of the imagination.