Has Mularkey abandoned the razzle dazzle?

durrdbyrd

I've been racking my brain trying to think of the last time Mike Mularkey has used one of his "trademark" trick plays. I realize that with a solid offense you don't always need to go with the trickery, but I'm a little surprised we don't see it hardly at all. Even something like a reverse would be good to keep the defense off balance. I think we could have used some of that on Monday night. New Orleans got a little too comfortable on defense. I'd love to see Harry Douglas get the ball in his hands with space. He's basically Reggie Bush minus the STD. I'm wondering if he's saving something wild for the playoffs. What do you guys think?

MM has not been the same OC at ATL as he was at PIT, in terms of trick plays. the emphasis on the run game and general distaste for screen plays is the same, but the "razzle dazzle" has not.

i do think that after around week 8 or 9, the coaching staff realized this team was going to make the playoffs and have at least one home game, and started discussing what they wanted to do to set up certain plays later on. that's when a trick play works best - when it diverges slightly from something the offense already does in its normal play calling.

i'm not clamoring for trickeration as much as i'd just like to see more of the no-huddle, 3 WR 1 back set with Ryan able to dictate to the D.

same here man. ive sait it over the past few days also. dude used to be known for his trickery. im shocked that he basically up and left it. what im really hoping for is that like BVG, he is saving it for the playoffs. BVG showed us last game the type of aggressive playoff football we will see from the falcons defense.

Let's not forget in Pitt he had a couple of unique athletes to use in trick plays. Having Kordell, Hines Ward, and Randle El gives you some interesting opportunities for gadgets.

This is true. Things like the double-reverse pass probably wouldn't work as well with us. But the occasional reverse, flea flicker, etc. could still work with the players we have.

This is true. Things like the double-reverse pass probably wouldn't work as well with us. But the occasional reverse, flea flicker, etc. could still work with the players we have.

I agree. Checking out the stats for Hines and Randle El for the years MM was OC there show they both got lots of opportunities to run the ball. Randle El also had a decent amount of pass attempts.

I was hoping Meier might have some of those opportunities with us as he was a former QB in college as well.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of the last time Mike Mularkey has used one of his "trademark" trick plays. I realize that with a solid offense you don't always need to go with the trickery, but I'm a little surprised we don't see it hardly at all. Even something like a reverse would be good to keep the defense off balance. I think we could have used some of that on Monday night. New Orleans got a little too comfortable on defense. I'd love to see Harry Douglas get the ball in his hands with space. He's basically Reggie Bush minus the STD. I'm wondering if he's saving something wild for the playoffs. What do you guys think?

I don't miss the trickery, but I'd like to see more:

1) screen passes to Turner, Snelling, or Mughelli

2) passes to HD

3) generally spread the ball more around to our TEs and WRs (I have to admit I like how Brees does that)

4) like another poster says, more 3WR and 1RB sets

I'd like to see less of:

1) WR screens - I can't remember the last time that we gained positive yards on one of these plays.

I do respect the fact that MM has designed an offense that Smitty wants to be the identity of this team. We run to establish the pass and we do that often. By the fourth quarter, the other team's D is usually worn down. Atlanta ususally wins the TOP batlle, the battle at the LOS, stays out of 3rd and long, doesn't turn the ball over much and, voila, with an improved D and good ST - you have a 12-3 SB contender (along with good health).

All of us can't wait for the day when we fall behind 21-3 to some team on the road at half-time and MM and Smitty have to go pass happy thus allowing Ryan to put up 30 passes in the second half and lead us to a 24-21 win (hypothetically). Until then we're always going to have question marks about how 'hi-octane' our passing game is.

Edited by Bart2Ryan+beyond

Look people I think we played a somewhat predictable offense monday , while trying to win the game it was not a must win (it was for the Aint's however) we know they were going to make the playoffs , we'll probably see them again I think we came in with a vanilla offensive scheme with a purpose , also if we had won what are the odds of beating a team 3 times in one season (not very good) , they got an a$$ whiping coming

I like seeing a little trickeration in the offense. As long as in no shape or form it is the wildcat formation. I absolutely detest it. I can see nothing good out of seeing Matt Ryan in the wideout or slot position. :angry:

Yeah, I don't consider the wildcat a trick play. It's just terrible offense.

MM has not been the same OC at ATL as he was at PIT, in terms of trick plays. the emphasis on the run game and general distaste for screen plays is the same, but the "razzle dazzle" has not.

i do think that after around week 8 or 9, the coaching staff realized this team was going to make the playoffs and have at least one home game, and started discussing what they wanted to do to set up certain plays later on. that's when a trick play works best - when it diverges slightly from something the offense already does in its normal play calling.

i'm not clamoring for trickeration as much as i'd just like to see more of the no-huddle, 3 WR 1 back set with Ryan able to dictate to the D.

I'm not into trickeration either though I would like to see us use screens especially against teams that like to blitz like Philly hit them with a BIT OF THERE OWN MEDICINE.

I don't like it when we don't have a back lined up in the backfield it makes us easier to defend we should always have a the running,screen,delayed hand-off option in my view.

He rarely calls plays to get the ball down the field more that 15 yards at a time so I wouldn't expect him to call a trick play...

Guest James H.

I'm pretty sure if Mike Smith wanted to see more of all that stuff, he would instruct his staff to produce such plays.

For now, he's on track to become one of the most successful coaches in league history, so don't give your hopes up on seeing any dramatic change anytime soon. You'll just have to be happy with winning.

B)

I agree. It is clear that the ESPN analysts do not think the Falcons are explosive or dynamic, and keep giving New Orleans the edge to go all the way. Our offensive production has wilted some since some of those middle of the season 30+ point games. Even though Michael Turner has some great stats, his yards per carry are low compared to other top running backs. He is just not fast enough to make anything happen in my opinion if there is not a gapping whole opened up by the offensive line. There are so many plays for "0" or negative yards up the middle, it seems to put us in 3rd and 5+ all the time. This was clearly evident in the New Orleans loss with only 7 offensive points. I believe this team has the talent and drive to go all the way, if we put the talent in the right places with the right plays! Go Falcons!