Carolina's motivation

durrdbyrd

Before I start this, let me just say that I expect Atlanta to win on Sunday and win going away. I can't fathom that with every preseason goal for the regular season on the line, we would allow the team with the worst record in the league to come into our house and screw things up. We're the better team and we should act like it.

However, for those that may believe the Panthers are already thinking about whether to use a driver or a hybrid off the first tee on Monday morning, I think that's inaccurate. Here's a list of reasons that Carolina will fight hard on Sunday.

1) No reason to try to lose: Now that they already have the first pick in the draft locked up, any thought that they may try to tank goes out the window. Winning would not hurt them in that regard.

2) They hate us: It's a division rival and they'd love nothing more than to knock us off the top.

3) This is their Super Bowl: Carolina is going nowhere. The only chance they have to put something good on the NFL Films: Carolina Panthers Yearbook is to beat us. Otherwise this season will end as a total embarrassment for them.

4) The John Fox Factor: Everyone knows that this will be Fox's final game with Carolina. His contract expires after the Super Bowl and he won't be renewed. From what I hear, he's still a well-liked guy in that locker room. I think the players would love nothing more than to send him out on a high note and will play as such.

5) They're professionals (and want to stay that way): Anytime you have an awful season such as they have had, cleaning house is always a possibility. There may not be much hope for those guys in Charlotte, but Sunday is their final chance to put something good on tape for other teams. The biggest example of this is Jimmy Clausen. With all of the Andrew Luck talk swirling around, his days in Carolina might well be numbered. If he plays well, maybe the Panthers think twice about taking Luck. Or maybe another team becomes interested and tries to trade for him. It's hard to know for sure what would happen but one thing is certain: quitting isn't good for job security.

Now I've said all this not as reasons why I think Carolina can or will win. These are simply reasons for us not to get ahead of ourselves and overconfident. It's also a call to the fans headed to the Dome on Sunday. Treat this game like it's Monday night against the Saints. Be in full voice. This isn't the fifth preseason game we thought it would be. Get after 'em and help us pull this thing out. There are no gimmes in the NFL. Go get 'em, men!

unless one thinks they weren't trying hard when they played @ home, then i'm not sure why it matters whether they'll be trying this Sunday.

they lost 31-10 and it could've been worse if ATL wanted it to be.

to paraphrase Denny G, they are who we think they are. a flawed team with no decent QB, two games worse than any other team in the NFL, with their only wins coming against NFC Worst teams.

Carolina offense is putrid. The only way they win is if you guys have a ton of turnovers. I don't see it happening.

I agree, I just can't see any way they can pull off an upset here especially if we dial up the blitz like we did against you last night. Let's face it there's no way Clausen gets away from the blitz the way Brees did.

I agree with your assessment this big time trick & trap obstacle that we must face with intensity. I hope the fans rock the Dome but it will depend on the intensity our team takes to the field. We can’t allow the same miscues to happen on offense and expect sustained 120 db of fan noise during this game.

I look at Carolina's chances a little differently. With the Philly loss last night, the Aint's are positioned to take over the #1 seed if we lose to Carolina and they beat TB. I can't think of any more distasteful finish for us. That has to be huge incentive for the Falcons (to make sure it doesn't happen). I know I'll be in my seat and ready to yell my head off just as if it were a playoff game.

I look at Carolina's chances a little differently. With the Philly loss last night, the Aint's are positioned to take over the #1 seed if we lose to Carolina and they beat TB. I can't think of any more distasteful finish for us. That has to be huge incentive for the Falcons (to make sure it doesn't happen). I know I'll be in my seat and ready to yell my head off just as if it were a playoff game.

I would like nothing more then to see Atlanta lose, but I just don't see it. I think you guys could sit Turner and Ryan and still win.

You guys have good players and they want to win- I hope you lose, but prolly not going to happen. It would be a stunner

You know, I've got 5 really good reasons for me to have a threesome with Beyonce and Angelina, but, surprisingly, that isn't happening either.

Falcons have never lost to a sub 500 team under Smith/Ryan- they're 16-0 so far, can't see that changing.

Falcons need this game, no way are they allowing the Panthers to even consider an upset.

Clausen isn't ready to be an NFL QB yet.

Playing hard isn't the same as playing well.

Falcons roll.

Philly served up an object lesson of what happens when you take another team for granted. I expect the offense to play much better. I think the Ryan home record, Smith home record and winning streak had collectively become something of an albatross. Now that the pressure is reduced, the boys can go about playing hard.

No way the upset happens even if Carolina wanted to win this game they cant they suck too much we will just play our normal conservative style and we will roll on them. The kid has the worst pocket presence for gods sake Chauncey Davis got a sack on him.

You mean Chauncey "Take It To The House Pick Six TD" Davis? ;)

They've been all over the place this season. Held the Saints to just 16 points , losing by only 2 points in N.O. Then in BoA, they let the Saints just destroy them.

The Panthers offense has been offensive with the play calling. To the point where I believe the defense has given up in most games.

Defense has been top 10 for two years, and top 10 for the better part of this year, the replacement for Peppers is actually doing a much better job at rushing the QB than Peppers dd last year for the Panthers, same goes for the replacement of Harris. individually, some of the players have put up some respectable stats, it's just they aren't working well as a team. They have what the Skins', Cowboys had over the last few years.. talent but no chemistry whatsoever.

If they have any chance to win, they have to actually play like a team. Not just individual pieces.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps