Home Warranties

biloxifalcon

Home warranties usually aren't worth the paper they are printed on because they include so many exceptions and they usually require you to use a vendor contracted for by the warranty company. And the warranty company isn't going to replace ANYTHING when it's broken. Tbey will try in vain to repair it no matter how bad it is broken. When I bought my house the seller paid for a 1-year home warranty as part of the deal. My AC unit went out within a year of the purchase and I contacted the home warranty company about getting it fixed or replaced. They sent out a technician who claims he fixed it. The "fix" lasted about 4 days and it went out again. He "fixed" it again, and it went out again. . . and again. . . and again. Finally I asked the warranty company to just replace the AC unit. They said NO. I finally got fed up and paid to have the AC unit replaced myself.

Home warranties usually aren't worth the paper they are printed on because they include so many exceptions and they usually require you to use a vendor contracted for by the warranty company. And the warranty company isn't going to replace ANYTHING when it's broken. Tbey will try in vain to repair it no matter how bad it is broken. When I bought my house the seller paid for a 1-year home warranty as part of the deal. My AC unit went out within a year of the purchase and I contacted the home warranty company about getting it fixed or replaced. They sent out a technician who claims he fixed it. The "fix" lasted about 4 days and it went out again. He "fixed" it again, and it went out again. . . and again. . . and again. Finally I asked the warranty company to just replace the AC unit. They said NO. I finally got fed up and paid to have the AC unit replaced myself.

Yea, this is the kind of stuff I have been reading about. A guy I work with has AHS, he says he has never had an issue, they covered all of the work, the most he ever paid was 50 bucks. But his is the only positive story so far. At this point I don't think I'll be getting one!

i get stuff about them a good bit, but put them right into the shredder. unless you get one included on a home purchase, i probably wouldn't bother with it. i've had a couple of problems with my AC unit since i bought my house in 2004, but 1 service call for each issue fixed it and ran me about $300 total.

your best bet would probably be home owners insurance through your insurance company. i've had to use my home owners insurance once in 2007 for a power surge that hit my house and fried a **** load of things plugged into surge strips as well as 3 power outlets that had to be replaced throughout the house. since my parents have used the same rep for about 30+ years that i'm using, it was just a matter of me going on a $5,000 shopping spree with the credit card and then taking the receipts and card statement by his office and having a check cut.

Well the one I have is not too bad.

I have had issues with AC myself and they sent out several people.

Finally one of them actually replaced a big part of it.

He told me the parts and labor would have been well over 800 bucks for a hour and half worth of work.

so it worked out well for me.

I have actually seen them replace stuff on neighbors who have the same thing

Well the one I have is not too bad.

I have had issues with AC myself and they sent out several people.

Finally one of them actually replaced a big part of it.

He told me the parts and labor would have been well over 800 bucks for a hour and half worth of work.

so it worked out well for me.

I have actually seen them replace stuff on neighbors who have the same thing

Who are you using?