Sharper tells how they shut down the Falcons

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why are people assuming we got shut down when this game was pretty much meaningless? Yes it was an rival game but we already got the Division and homefield in the bank. We shut ourselves down, not Saints.

Stupid comments like these are why your fanbase is viewed as a joke.... You mean to tell me your coach was blitzing every play to lose the game in the end? Think about it you don't want the Saints in the playoffs no one does, you would rather play the Bucs again. Your coach wanted tomwin this game so he could rest his starters vs Carolina to not risk injuring stars. Now a hurt Roddy White is goin to have to play Sunday vs a team that has nothing to lose that may go for it on 4th down every series. You keep thinking this was a meaningless game tho!!

Yup, it was preached on The Sean Payton Show this week and on every Saints related sports news show, shut those few guys down and you have pretty much got Falcons entire offense in control.

Ya'll matty need more weapons.. he's carried the offense pretty much alone.

Im honestly surprised other team defenses didn't pick that up at first.

yet without a boneheaded play by McClure and Turner's FIRST fumble of the season, there's a good chance we win this game. Pretty nifty eh?

You would be lucky to have Porter on your team.

After almost all were gone out of the stadium some players went to mid-field and had their pic taken. Big Whoop.

No disrespect just celebration.

Win at home and it doesn't happen.

As long as your left tackle gets arrested for mugging.

Saints_Falcons_Football.JPE.JPG

Hey, they have to have some to drink with their "cheese", so I guess you gotta allow them their "whine!" ;) Thanks, Saints, for that belated Christmas gift! ;)

what they "knew" was that no matter how many people they stacked near the line to stop the run, the Falcons would rather "establish the run" than make teams pay for trying to stop it.

it's an approach that has achieved 12-3, so it's hard to criticize. BUT, against teams with strong offenses and weak defenses (i.e., New Orleans and Philly) whom ATL could face in the playoffs, it's a strategy that only works if ATL makes zero mistakes. because it simply doesn't accrue enough yards/play to function unless the offense never turns it over and commits few, if any, penalties.

last night was the first time i've ever seen one flag dropped and TWO penalties called (pass interference on the offense AND defense simultaneously??), but it won't be the last time a higher profile playoff opponent gets a call against ATL. might as well get used to that.

Mularkey has the weapons to be a VERY good passing offense: strong OL protection, RBs that can catch out of the backfield but big enough to stop blitzing LBs, big WRs that can get open, a wily TE that can get open OR get a PI call, and best of all a QB that plays better at up-tempo when decisions must be quick and accurate.

with no RB that can outrun defenders, ATL is limited in its run game. sure, the Falcons can grind out first downs against a front 7. but when that becomes 8 and 9, the run game stalls. Turner can break one here and there, but those runs no longer threaten to turn into TDs. thus, the D can sell out to stop the run and essentially force ATL to play mistake-free football. when the Falcons do, they can still score. but when any small mistake (self-induced or ref-created) pops up, the offense as currently configured breaks down.

the D showed last night they can be a "playoff winning defense" - they stymied New Orleans, held them to only 17 points, got TWO INTS, AND scored a defensive TD. anybody expecting more from this defense than what we saw last night is being foolishly unrealistic.

how far this team goes in the playoffs will depend on how willing Mularkey is to let Ryan take over. the logic behind "the NFL is a QB league, all great teams have great QBs" is that the QB is given the reins to win the game.

Great post.

Theres to much doom and gloom about this loss you really think MS MM are'nt going to make the needed adjustments I'm confident we'll bounce back.

To me the Defense showed me last night they are primed for bigger things I loved there urgency and for the most part they did there jobs.The only negative I saw was how many missed oppourtunities Bryan Williams had to make key tackles for losses and sacks on Brees.

Stupid comments like these are why your fanbase is viewed as a joke.... You mean to tell me your coach was blitzing every play to lose the game in the end? Think about it you don't want the Saints in the playoffs no one does, you would rather play the Bucs again. Your coach wanted tomwin this game so he could rest his starters vs Carolina to not risk injuring stars. Now a hurt Roddy White is goin to have to play Sunday vs a team that has nothing to lose that may go for it on 4th down every series. You keep thinking this was a meaningless game tho!!

This should be copied to every thread that has anything to do with "This was a meaningless game" written on it.. People here like to lick their wound the wrong way here.. or they just don't know football too well.

This should be copied to every thread that has anything to do with "This was a meaningless game" written on it.. People here like to lick their wound the wrong way here.. or they just don't know football too well.

No different here than over on the Saints Report after a loss to a rival.

From what I recall, after that loss to us in the Superdome, y'all wanted to amputate your kicker's leg and hop him out of town.

this was just a 'practice' game for our boys....everyone from top knew right from the beginning that, this game will have no real bearing on the outcome.....so why expose your ace cards when you know you have a high chances of seeing them again in 3 weeks?

On other hand, we have seen the best of their defense & their offense. Everyone, who watched the game last nite will agree with me that our offense was too conservative.....which was by choice! Until now, it was our defense who had to play their A game which they did....so it was a succesful 'practice' game. They did not allow even 1 explosive play over 25 yards....barring only 1 long drive of 90 yards in the end which no matter what you do in playoffs you have to be prepared to face it.

Our strong suit will be revealed in playoffs & mark my words.....Aints or Eggles come what may will be ripped apart!

RISE UP!!!

Edited by MattyIcy

What's more important, winning in playoffs or lose a week 16 game that we already know that we are going to clinch the division and homefield anyways in week 17? I don't see nothing stupid about the comments I made but go ahead and whine like the rest of our fanbase.

Edited by Skar

No different here than over on the Saints Report after a loss to a rival.

From what I recall, after that loss to us in the Superdome, y'all wanted to amputate your kicker's leg and hop him out of town.

How is that even remotely relevant to what that guy just posted? lol. try again.

Edited by SaintsWrath

meaningless after week 17 - FOR REAL! cuz we will be NFC SOUTH CHAMPS & HFA in playoffs. Scores are even 1-1 in regular season. Period!

GOD willing you will beat rams or chawks & come in our house again....enjoy the short lived success....Brees & co. will be ripped apart!

I'm down with ANY bets.....wanna see how deep are your pockets?

meaningless after week 17 - FOR REAL! cuz we will be NFC SOUTH CHAMPS & HFA in playoffs. Scores are even 1-1 in regular season. Period!

GOD willing you will beat rams or chawks & come in our house again....enjoy the short lived success....Brees & co. will be ripped apart!

I'm down with ANY bets.....wanna see how deep are your pockets?

2614628525_0f68faf86f.jpg

why_so_serious_cat-12947.jpg

Ok mystical nerd from heII..

Edited by SaintsWrath

The Saints defense DID shut down our offense. We scored one offensive touchdown and rushed for only 50 something yards.

Correction, they shut down our run game. They gave up tons of yards in penalties hanging all over our recievers. Ryan was his own enemy on most of our 3 and outs. The saint coverage didn't do crap. (8 penalties for 92 Yards???!!!) at somepoint you have to stop praising a defense for giving up more penalty yards than actual offense. That and both our turnovers were comletely caused by us.

i'm sorry but you play to WIN the game...PERIOD!!! (preseason bein' the exception of course) the offense played sub-par ball...PERIOD!!! :angry:

This is off topic and I do agree with you BUT imo I think Seattle used last week to prepare more for the Rams, either way their week 17 game with the Rams is for the division.

I think our D has to try and play like that every week but imo we kept the o vanilla for a reason, when they stacked the box we could have split Tony out and get 1 on 1 or force the aints to only be able to have 7 in the box.

what they "knew" was that no matter how many people they stacked near the line to stop the run, the Falcons would rather "establish the run" than make teams pay for trying to stop it.

it's an approach that has achieved 12-3, so it's hard to criticize. BUT, against teams with strong offenses and weak defenses (i.e., New Orleans and Philly) whom ATL could face in the playoffs, it's a strategy that only works if ATL makes zero mistakes. because it simply doesn't accrue enough yards/play to function unless the offense never turns it over and commits few, if any, penalties.

last night was the first time i've ever seen one flag dropped and TWO penalties called (pass interference on the offense AND defense simultaneously??), but it won't be the last time a higher profile playoff opponent gets a call against ATL. might as well get used to that.

Mularkey has the weapons to be a VERY good passing offense: strong OL protection, RBs that can catch out of the backfield but big enough to stop blitzing LBs, big WRs that can get open, a wily TE that can get open OR get a PI call, and best of all a QB that plays better at up-tempo when decisions must be quick and accurate.

with no RB that can outrun defenders, ATL is limited in its run game. sure, the Falcons can grind out first downs against a front 7. but when that becomes 8 and 9, the run game stalls. Turner can break one here and there, but those runs no longer threaten to turn into TDs. thus, the D can sell out to stop the run and essentially force ATL to play mistake-free football. when the Falcons do, they can still score. but when any small mistake (self-induced or ref-created) pops up, the offense as currently configured breaks down.

the D showed last night they can be a "playoff winning defense" - they stymied New Orleans, held them to only 17 points, got TWO INTS, AND scored a defensive TD. anybody expecting more from this defense than what we saw last night is being foolishly unrealistic.

how far this team goes in the playoffs will depend on how willing Mularkey is to let Ryan take over. the logic behind "the NFL is a QB league, all great teams have great QBs" is that the QB is given the reins to win the game.

The answer when they stack the box and especially when they blitz is to screen pass over the rushers to Snelling or even Ovie! Why are we not doing this more??? IT WORKS, and it makes the defense think twice about blitzing next time! It is so furstrating to me when they run Turner up the middle right into the teeth of their 8 or 9 man in the box front and we get 1, 2 or maybe 0 yards!!! Dang it, how about a little variation, a little ingenuity!

Oh, and BTW, it's highly doubtful that McClure will fumble the snap again this year, which resulted in 1 TD last night and it's probable that Turner will not fumble the ball on the 1 yard line again, which resulted in us NOT scoring either a TD or at the least a FG! That's 14 points that would have made a difference in the game. Oh well, s_hit happens I guess. The only thing that really pissed me off last night (beside the muff and fumble!) was the BS spot of the ball for NO! That was total BULL S_HIT and everyone knows it!!!

GO FALCONS, and beat Carolina!!!

We need to get Matt some more weapons, shut down White, Gonzalez, and Turner and you have shut down our offense.

How many more weapons can you really ask for? We are sending 7 guys(most in the nfl) to the freaking superbowl.. we got all the weapons we need.

How stupid can you be seriously . Who does Tom Brady have ?? Who does Manning have ??

Yup, it was preached on The Sean Payton Show this week and on every Saints related sports news show, shut those few guys down and you have pretty much got Falcons entire offense in control.

Ya'll matty need more weapons.. he's carried the offense pretty much alone.

Im honestly surprised other team defenses didn't pick that up at first.

I'm honestly surprised some think this is a new revelation. Teams ALWAYS try to shut down the best players of an opposing team.