A Memo to Players and Fans: Back to Falcons Football

m.e.11

We lost Monday night. Was it fun? No. Necessary? You bet.

Everything leading up to this game was so different then what we had become accustomed to. I tried to ignore it, thinking that this type of stuff happens when you are 12-2 leading up to a game of this magnitude. In hindsight, we as fans, players, and coaches veered away from what made us so great as a team and organization.

Dear Roddy, Abe, and all of our fans buying into the trash talk: shut up. We aren't the Jets and boy, am I glad that we aren't. We are a class organization that lets our performance and actions do the talking--not our mouths. This new regime has prided itself on the premise that we talk soft but 'carry a big hick'ry stick.' No more tweeting, posting, texting or mouthing of to the media, friends, or anyone else. As we found out Monday night, that extra motivation goes a long way. Don't be the Saints. Let them pose at midfield for a post-game picture; I'm glad that beating us was that special to you.

Everything that transpired Monday night was an aberration only if we want it to be. We fumble on the goal-line? Not our Falcons. Mishandle a snap? Not our Falcons. Don't even get the 'Rise Up' video completed before kickoff? Gimmie a break. I've always said everyone from the QB down to the towel boy reflects the same attitude of the organization.

So we lost Monday night. Honestly? Thank the lord. If we would have escaped with a win, all the deficiencies would go unnoticed. We need to seal better on blocks, we need to bump in coverage more, and **** it Mike Smith, you don't take the ball away from Matt Ryan with that amount of time left. How did we win IN New Orleans? By going for it on 4th down like your job depends on it.

You always learn more from a loss than from a win. I don't know about you, but I left the Dome last night sick. But, I now have a renewed sense of hunger that I am glad we now have heading into the post-season.

So this week, let's get back to Falcons football. Let's talk a whole lot less, be humble, and stay hungry. Everyone doubts us now. Awesome. I want that. As Falcons fans, we should want that. Because you know what? Matt Ryan is 19-2 at the Dome. The two losses were to good teams, led by good QB's. I'll take that. Our two losses are by a combined 7 points. We aren't getting blown out. But if I remember correctly, that loss to Denver was because we didn't play Falcons football.

Back to basics this week. We need to re-group, acknowledge the loss, and get hungry. Let's talk shop, versus talking smack. As a team, we need to list all of the things that made us great this year: calculated risks, power football, minimal turnovers, and few penalties. All of those were missing last night. Everything 'felt' wrong leading up to the game and it showed.

We now have the best of both worlds. We have the opportunity to dominate a division opponent, clinch the division, seal homefield advantage, AND still have everyone doubting us. If this was our team's last clunker game, good. It reminded me a lot of that Pittsburgh game the way it transpired. But the reason I am confident is that after that crushing loss, the sacrificial lamb the next week got its due.

Let's regroup, get back to basics, and stay hungry.

This is Falcons football.

Edited by m.e.11

We lost Monday night. Was it fun? No. Necessary? You bet.

Everything leading up to this game was so different then what we had become accustomed to. I tried to ignore it, thinking that this type of stuff happens when you are 12-2 leading up to a game of this magnitude. In hindsight, we as fans, players, and coaches veered away from what made us so great as a team and organization.

Dear Roddy, Abe, and all of our fans buying into the trash talk: shut up. We aren't the Jets and boy, am I glad that we aren't. We are a class organization that lets our performance and actions do the talking--not our mouths. This new regime has prided itself on the premise that we talk soft but 'carry a big hick'ry stick.' No more tweeting, posting, texting or mouthing of to the media, friends, or anyone else. As we found out Monday night, that extra motivation goes a long way. Don't be the Saints. Let them pose at midfield for a post-game picture; I'm glad that beating us was that special to you.

Everything that transpired Monday night was an aberration only if we want it to be. We fumble on the goal-line? Not our Falcons. Mishandle a snap? Not our Falcons. Don't even get the 'Rise Up' video completed before kickoff? Gimmie a break. I've always said everyone from the QB down to the towel boy reflects the same attitude of the organization.

So we lost Monday night. Honestly? Thank the lord. If we would have escaped with a win, all the deficiencies would go unnoticed. We need to seal better on blocks, we need to bump in coverage more, and **** it Mike Smith, you don't take the ball away from Matt Ryan with that amount of time left. How did we win IN New Orleans? By going for it on 4th down like your job depends on it.

You always learn more from a loss than from a win. I don't know about you, but I left the Dome last night sick. But, I now have a renewed sense of hunger that I am glad we now have heading into the post-season.

So this week, let's get back to Falcons football. Let's talk a whole lot less, be humble, and stay hungry. Everyone doubts us now. Awesome. I want that. As Falcons fans, we should want that. Because you know what? Matt Ryan is 19-2 at the Dome. The two losses were to good teams, led by good QB's. I'll take that. If our two losses are by a combined 7 points. We aren't getting blown out. But if I remember correctly, that loss to Denver was because we didn't play Falcons football.

Back to basics this week. We need to re-group, acknowledge the loss, and get hungry. Let's talk shop, versus talking smack. As a team, we need to list all of the things that made us great this year: calculated risks, power football, minimal turnovers, and few penalties. All of those were missing last night. Everything 'felt' wrong leading up to the game and it showed.

We now have the best of both worlds. We have the opportunity to dominate a division opponent and win not only the NFC South, but clinch homefield advantage for the first time since the Dome was erected. If this was our team's last clunker game, good. It reminded me a lot of that Pittsburgh game the way it transpired. But the reason I am confident is that after that crushing loss, the sacrificial lamb the next week got its due.

Let's regroup, get back to basics, and stay hungry.

This is Falcons football.

This is more than a "memo"...can we get the revised version...? :D