The 4th and 6 call....

Quarterback

First, I would say the odds are equal or better that we have a play designed to get 6 yards and execute this play than the odds of keeping Drew Brees from getting a first down or two. He'd just gotten several in a row on the previous 90 yard drive! With the ball in hand you can control your fate; with the ball in Brees hands, HE controls your fate in this situation.

Second, Even should we miss the 4th down play they get the ball at our 43 needing to accomplish the identical thing--get a first down or two and run out the clock. It wasn't like the ball was on our 23!

Third, and this is the most disappointing aspect, what did we have to lose? Smith's comments after the loss is "we still are in the perfect position and the other 15 teams in the NFC would love to be where we are." Meaning, even with this loss we can accomplish the same goals nest Sunday. Then why not go for it if you have nothing to lose and your still holding the "trump card" in your hand by beating Carolina next week?

You see, I think another opportunity was missed to try to practice and hopefully execute a do or die play that we may face again in the postseason. Somewhere along the way we may face another 4th down play to keep our season alive so why not prepare for one right there--with nothing to lose--to give our team more confidence by having pr oven in this game they can do this. Lastly, what if they had succeeded on the 4th and 6th and went on for a tying field goal or game winning TD.

In my opinion and there's not a doubt in my mind that, given the identical set of circumstances, Sean Peyton and Bill Belichick would have allowed Brees or Brady to got for it! Coach Smith and or Mike Mularkey will need to sharpen or "man up" at these critical moments or somewhere in the postseason once again we will painfully watch the opposing QB take a knee as we helplessly watch the game clock expire.

It was the wrong call at the moment under the circumstances.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with every word u just said, 4th and 6 with 2+ mins left,i wouldn't punt to Brees for him to control ur fate.....

First, I would say the odds are equal or better that we have a play designed to get 6 yards and execute this play than the odds of keeping Drew Brees from getting a first down or two. He'd just gotten several in a row on the previous 90 yard drive! With the ball in hand you can control your fate; with the ball in Brees hands, HE controls your fate in this situation.

Second, Even should we miss the 4th down play they get the ball at our 43 needing to accomplish the identical thing--get a first down or two and run out the clock. It wasn't like the ball was on our 23!

Third, and this is the most disappointing aspect, what did we have to lose? Smith's comments after the loss is "we still are in the perfect position and the other 15 teams in the NFC would love to be where we are." Meaning, even with this loss we can accomplish the same goals nest Sunday. Then why not go for it if you have nothing to lose and your still holding the "trump card" in your hand by beating Carolina next week?

You see, I think another opportunity was missed to try to practice and hopefully execute a do or die play that we may face again in the postseason. Somewhere along the way we may face another 4th down play to keep our season alive so why not prepare for one right there--with nothing to lose--to give our team more confidence by having pr oven in this game they can do this. Lastly, what if they had succeeded on the 4th and 6th and went on for a tying field goal or game winning TD.

In my opinion and there's not a doubt in my mind that, given the identical set of circumstances, Sean Peyton and Bill Belichick would have allowed Brees or Brady to got for it! Coach Smith and or Mike Mularkey will need to sharpen or "man up" at these critical moments or somewhere in the postseason once again we will painfully watch the opposing QB take a knee as we helplessly watch the game clock expire.

It was the wrong call at the moment under the circumstances.

If teh Saints got a field goal from it it would've still been a 1 score game. No matter where the ball was the defense was going to have to stop a first down. And we're the #1 team in the NFL on 4th down.

Idiotic, ******** decision by Smith, after our defense was winded from giving a 90 yard TD drive up.

Sean Peyton was not going for a FG, they would have play 4 down ball. He knows what Matt Ryan can do with a little time left. There was really never any intentions of going for it, because of the 3rd down play. Maybe we should have had Snelling in on 3rd, and ran a screen to either get the 1st down or minimize the yardage on 4th down.

Yeah, I have to agree here.

Coach made a bad decision on that one. He didn't play to win and it cost us.

I am baffled as to why our offensive strategy wasn't as wide open and spirited as our defensive strategy. Again, knowing that we have a second opportunity next Sunday to accomplish the identical goals what was there to lose?

We should have played this game offensively like we had already clinched the playoffs (oh yea--we have), were confident in at least one win in the final two games at home, and like we had nothing to lose! Yet Mularkey was calling plays all night like he was trying to run out the clock with a 30 point lead!

Weired, just weired!

No, you punt the ball, get a stop and get the ball around the 50 if not better. We just didn't get the stop...

You have to go for it there. You have to. Why would you punt the ball to one of the top QBs in the league who had just driven for a TD? Yes, your def had done a great job all evening, but you knew they had to be tired. And it wasn't as if you were asking you def to stop a long TD drive, you were asking them to keep one of the best offenses in football from getting a mere 10 yards.

Keep the ball in your hands, control your own destiny, and allow Matt Ryan to do what he's done all year - make clutch plays at the end of a game...

No, you punt the ball, get a stop and get the ball around the 50 if not better. We just didn't get the stop...

Not against Drew Brees and Tom Brady! I'll take my chances on a 4th and 6th completion by Matt Ryan with Tony Gonzales and Roddy White! Again, it was the team, the QB and the circumstances that made the the wrong call.

Against most QB's and most teams it was the right call.

A bird in the hand...

Sean Peyton was not going for a FG, they would have play 4 down ball. He knows what Matt Ryan can do with a little time left. There was really never any intentions of going for it, because of the 3rd down play. Maybe we should have had Snelling in on 3rd, and ran a screen to either get the 1st down or minimize the yardage on 4th down.

Regardless of where the ball was, the defense had to stop a first down. If the Saints don't want to go for a FG to force us to get a touchdown, then the defense needs to step it up.

There was no reason to punt the ball away with such little time left.

let me ask u this "would u take a chance and go for it and hold ur own destiny or would u punt to Brees and let him decide ur fate?..........if u ask me mike smith made a bad decision by punting on 4th and 6

Regardless of where the ball was, the defense had to stop a first down. If the Saints don't want to go for a FG to force us to get a touchdown, then the defense needs to step it up.

There was no reason to punt the ball away with such little time left.

We had two timeouts and the two minute warning, there was plenty of reason. It was the right thing to do, we were on our side of the field. Maybe if we were on the other side of the 50, you'd have an argument.

You have to go for it there. You have to. Why would you punt the ball to one of the top QBs in the league who had just driven for a TD? Yes, your def had done a great job all evening, but you knew they had to be tired. And it wasn't as if you were asking you def to stop a long TD drive, you were asking them to keep one of the best offenses in football from getting a mere 10 yards.

Keep the ball in your hands, control your own destiny, and allow Matt Ryan to do what he's done all year - make clutch plays at the end of a game...

You get it! wink.gif

Further, given the seasonal and playoff situation, it was actually a risk free gamble. Why not go all out on offense and let it fly in this game knowing that win or lose we have a second chance next Sunday. However, if we make the 4th and 6, then go on to secure the win, we rest some injured players for up to 3 weeks before the second round of the playoffs. Now we are in a must win situation going against a carefree team in Carolina, banged up from a war with New Orleans, on short rest.

Mike Mularkey fumbled with the conservative game plan and Mike Smith fumbled badly on the 4th and 6th call.

Edited by Quarterback

Of course, if the fumble had not been overruled, Smith looks like a FREAKIN' GENIUS!!!

Football's a funny game, ain't it?

I don't know who showed up last week and last night but it was not the Falcons.

Smith has been aggressive, appropriate and successful going for it on fourth down all season. I was surprised he made the wrong call last night.

We've avoided drama all season, and White get's all aTwitter with the "'Aints" stuff

We NEVER hurt ourselves and last night we had two very costly turnovers.

We dominate time of possession and last night we were down by ten minutes!

Matt Ice is dominant in the Dome and Mr. Clutch in comebacks, but was mediocre last night and could not get it done at the end.

We are like 20-0 when favored, going back to last year's Carolina road game, yet lost as favorites last night.

It goes on and on . . .

These things happen. It's one game. There has been only one perfect team in the history of the NFL. We've been incredibly consistent under Smith/Ryan/Dimitroff.

But not perfect.

NEXT!!!