We needed that loss badly...

Wise Owl

I know it sounds strange but we needed to get a few monkeys off our back before we go into the playoffs and assuming we beat the Panthers as we should it's the best thing that could have happened to us. Forget about the rivalry for the minute, Championships and Superbowls is what we should be worried about.

1) Turnovers: We were due a few of these and rather have them now than in Jan.

2) Turner Fumble: He may have become a bit complacent, I don't think he'll do that again for a long time.

3) Home Loss: Had to happen some time and again I'm glad it happened now rather than in Jan

4) 4th Q Comeback: We've had to rely on Ryan too many times this season to win us games we sometimes didn't deserve to win. He can't do it every time so maybe this was a wake up call to the rest of the players that we need to take our chances and finish games off when we can

I think we also learned some important lessons about our game.

Negative:

1) We can't keep running Michael Turner down hill into lanes that are closed. If it's not working, Mularky has to think outside the box and mix it up. It was way too obvious and won't work against the top teams.

2) We need to make sacks when we get the chance. We'll be up against Vick/Rogers and hopefully Brees again. Need to get it right next time.

Positive:

1) Our Defense is even better than we thought it was. I've never seen our defense dominate against and elite team like that before. The Blitz completely threw Brees and I think we've unlocked the key to beating teams like the saint, eagles and packers from a defensive standpoint.

2) Ryan can run! - so let him go from time to time, it gives the defense something else to worry about

We lost that game because of our 2 turnovers. Simple as that. So the loss doesn't concern me greatly and we should still secure homefield next week.

Having seen what our defense can do I am more confident this morning that we can go all the way than I was before the game. I think we're still a little short of the pats but this game has highlighted the areas we need to improve which gives us a fighting chance...

1) Our Defense is even better than we thought it was. I've never seen our defense dominate against and elite team like that before.

Your defense did work at times and surprised the Saints O but I'd hardly call allowing 35-49 passing for 302 yards and 379 yards of total offense "dominating."

Edited by Saintsfan422

4) 4th Q Comeback: We've had to rely on Ryan too many times this season to win us games we sometimes didn't deserve to win. He can't do it every time so maybe this was a wake up call to the rest of the players that we need to take our chances and finish games off when we can

I agree. We need to cut the throat when we get the chance. We don't do that.

2) Ryan can run! - so let him go from time to time, it gives the defense something else to worry about

He should have run on that last drive instead of trying to dump it off to (Snelling, I believe?)

Anyway, Im a little relieved as well with the L as well(even though I was cheering for the W), for alot of the same reasons the OP made

• Our offense has a chance to rebound, instead of being off, essentially, for 3 weeks
  • Its tough to beat the Saints three times, and we may have to play them three times
  • Matt Ryan cant ALWAYS do it automatically in the 4th, no one can. He'll come back better
  • Even when it was obvious what we were doing, we know blitzing works on Brees. He wont escape as easily next time
  • After numerous close calls, a loss can help get the pressure off. Its a low point, its all up from here
  • Despite giving it away in the first half, we still had a chance to win

Oh god, just take the loss instead of making up pathetic excuses! "We needed the loss." Wow! Yea, just like yall needed Garret Hartley to win the game for you in week 3. You see you all seem to think the Falcoons are a great team but they aren't. 215 yards of total offense in a prime time game when the nation is watching? I think we had more penalty yards than that! Lol. Far from elite chief! However, they did impress me with their defensive play last night. But they blew their load prematurely. Do yall really believe that Sean Payton/Greg Williams won't be prepared for it in the playoffs? So don't hang your hats on that for too long. The fact of the matter is that we won and "Matty Ice" choked, along with Roddy White, who's mouth overloaded his a$$. So all of you can say we lucked out but you all know in your little hearts that you were simply outplayed for the second time this year. Yall just didn't have Garret Hartley to win it for you this time. LMAO

Edited by FalcoonKilla

Oh god, just take the loss instead of making up pathetic excuses! "We needed the loss." Wow! Yea, just like yall needed Garret Hartley to win the game for you in week 3. You see you all seem to think the Falcoons are a great team but they aren't. 215 yards of total offense in a prime time game when the nation is watching? I think we had more penalty yards than that! Lol. Far from elite chief! However, they did impress me with their defensive play last night. But they blew their load prematurely. Do yall really believe that Sean Payton/Greg Williams won't be prepared for it in the playoffs? So don't hang your hats on that for too long. The fact of the matter is that we won and "Matty Ice" choked, along with Roddy White, who's mouth overloaded his a$$. So all of you can say we lucked out but you all know in your little hearts that you were simply outplayed for the second time this year. Yall just didn't have Garret Hartley to win it for you this time. LMAO

Ah the ol' Hartley excuse. I guess you guys needed Turner to do something he hasn't done all season to win that game for you?

STFU troll, you're team won this 1, our's won the first..... if we see each other again it will be another hard fought game. NO EXCUSES.

HAHA, it's so funny how ******** saints fans are. They really do bring a smile to my face.

Great football team. Shame their fans let them down all the time.

Your defense did work at times and surprised the Saints O but I'd hardly call allowing 35-49 passing for 302 yards and 379 yards of total offense "dominating."

Dominating .... no. I have to agree there; BUT it was very good. Falcons killed themselves with missed sacks and a few plays where we failed. Abandoning the blitz late in game was a big mistake. :unsure:

I'll do the math for you... 6.16 YPA. I'll take that any game with Brees; the problem is he got too many attempts and the 71% completions is just too high.

1) Turnovers: We were due a few of these and rather have them now than in Jan.

2) Turner Fumble: He may have become a bit complacent, I don't think he'll do that again for a long time.

3) Home Loss: Had to happen some time and again I'm glad it happened now rather than in Jan

5) We can't keep running Michael Turner down hill into lanes that are closed. If it's not working, Mularky has to think outside the box and mix it up. It was way too obvious and won't work against the top teams.

6) We need to make sacks when we get the chance. We'll be up against Vick/Rogers and hopefully Brees again. Need to get it right next time.

7) Our Defense is even better than we thought it was. I've never seen our defense dominate against and elite team like that before. The Blitz completely threw Brees and I think we've unlocked the key to beating teams like the saint, eagles and packers from a defensive standpoint.

8) Ryan can run! - so let him go from time to time, it gives the defense something else to worry about

9)We lost that game because of our 2 turnovers. Simple as that. So the loss doesn't concern me greatly and we should still secure homefield next week.

1) Explain to me how McClure forgetting how to snap the ball prevents Ryan from throwing interceptions later? Or how Turner's fumble will stop a receiver fighting for extra yards from having the ball stripped as he goes down?

2) Turner wasn't complacent: the ball was stripped because Mike Mularkey called a run into a stacked defensive line and Matt Ryan didn't audible out of it. There were too many people punching the ball once his momentum was stopped.

3) Why did it have to happen? Why is it impossible to win out at home? It HAS been done before, y'know.

4) How does our quarterback leading a game-winning drive mean we "didn't deserve to win" those games? Any game that you win--- you DESERVE to win. This is the NFL; no moral victories or "A-for-effort" silliness.

5) Absolutely correct.

6) This goes to tackling. We have been a poor tackling team all year. Its a bloody good thing we gang-tackle: we certainly don't seem to be able to wrap-up one-on-one consistently.

7) Actually, this is EXACTLY how good I knew our defense could be. I have several threads stating explicitly and emphatically that VanGorder's soft scheme and passive defensive philosophy had been stifling our defensive talent. For the first time all year, I actually ENJOYED watching our defense.

8) I trust Ryan's decision-making on running vs. passing. Yes: Ryan can run. But White, Turner, Jenkins, Gonzalez, etc., can run even better if he can get the ball to them.

9) WRONG!!!

We lost this game for many reasons. We lost 2; we also got 2 back, including a pick-6. We lost because our offense did not execute a vanilla-called offensive game plan. We lost because our blitzers whiffed on several sacks where they had a hand on Brees. We lost because Weems gave away 50+ yards of aggregate field position by letting short punts roll along like the Mississippi river.

We lost because the players made several uncharacteristic mistakes and had inexplicable breakdowns, including--- but not limited to--- those turnovers.

1) Explain to me how McClure forgetting how to snap the ball prevents Ryan from throwing interceptions later? Or how Turner's fumble will stop a receiver fighting for extra yards from having the ball stripped as he goes down?

- It doesn't but it gives a timely reminder of the importance of not turning over the ball which has been a huge factor in our season so far...

2) Turner wasn't complacent: the ball was stripped because Mike Mularkey called a run into a stacked defensive line and Matt Ryan didn't audible out of it. There were too many people punching the ball once his momentum was stopped.

- Fair enough but he's run into traffic like that before and I've never seen him stripped. I'm just saying next time he might protect it that bit better...

3) Why did it have to happen? Why is it impossible to win out at home? It HAS been done before, y'know.

- All I said was that you can't win at home forever. If you're going to lose (and you will eventually) I'd rather it was a division game when we've already made the playoffs...

4) How does our quarterback leading a game-winning drive mean we "didn't deserve to win" those games? Any game that you win--- you DESERVE to win. This is the NFL; no moral victories or "A-for-effort" silliness.

- Ok, poor choice of words perhaps but I think the ravens, packers and saints (away) all played better football and lost to us. That's gonne catch up with you at some point, glad it was now not in jan...