It's Panic Time!

vel

Tonight's game had nothing serious on the line besides bragging rights for us. Yes I don't ever want to lose but I am not mad. We played awful and got beat for it. Screw the refs. Our OLine was awful, defense wasn't always ready. I'm glad it is out of our system now and not in the playoffs. Plus it is harder to beat a team 3x than twice. And we will have a chip on our shoulders for losing in the Dome.

This will test our players. Smitty will have them ready. They clearly lost focus and will be back on track in no time.

They played like a team that knew it has Carolina at home next week, sloppy and unfocused on offense. On the plus side, we beat the **** out of them on defense. I think they needed to come back to earth a bit so they'll get serious and focused going forward.

As you said, it was a bragging rights game, but not even that for them, since they were just getting back to .500. I'm very confident they won't win if they are lucky enough to face us again.

Ok I had to bump this seeing as though people are still panicking on this board.

If you thought we were going to go 19-0, raise your hand...

If you thought allowing only one sack was bad, raise your hand...

If you thought holding the Saints to below our season avg of points allowed, raise your hand...

If you thought all of the pressure we sent was bad, raise your hand...

If you think we need to scrap players that got us to this 12-3 point, raise your hand...

For all of you chicken littles that raised your hand to something, you either a.) have never played a sport before and don't realize losing is just as much a part of it as winning is, or b.) live in a fantasy world that all things Falcons are golden in everybody's world.

Not every fan likes our team. People are going to say sh!t to piss us off. Grow a pair and get over it. Our team lost. They know they played like sh!t and that it was a very winnable game. But instead we knew we just had to beat the Panthers to keep HFA (which doesn't seem hard). Loss of focus resulted in mistakes. Yes you can place a lot of blame on McClure and Turner for their miscues but there were 40+ players active. The Falcons lost. Not McClure. Not Turner. They have a renewed focus which is vital for the playoffs. I bet somebody to come in the Dome and think they will only hold us to 14.

This place is worse than the stock market when we lose. This might have been the alcohol doing the thinking, but did it seem like they picked on Robinson more, and looked away from Grimes?

Oh, and if I recall, didn't the Saints drop their last three games last season? It's not the end of the world folks.

Edited by ChildsPlease85

as long as the coaching staff learned the following 3 lessons, the Falcons are in excellent shape heading into the playoffs:

1) it's worth the risk to blitz Brees. i was wrong on this one too, so don't take this as "i told you so." the safety play allowed the nickel back to be set loose. unfortunately, he was gawdawful at tackling, but the tactic was correct. better safety play should allow ATL to be more aggressive with blitzes. Brees may connect on some of the long balls, but what i witnessed last night gives me confidence that the Falcons don't have to sit back and hope the QB is inaccurate.

2) if Atlanta makes it to the Super Bowl, Ryan is more likely to be the MVP than Turner. this isn't to deny how much Turner has meant to the team. his value has been HUGE. but teams are going to stack the line and shut down the run until Mularkey shows he's willing to make them pay for man coverage. if Atlanta is going to win in the playoffs, Ryan has to be given the chance to throw the ball against defenses that are selling out to stop the run. the Saints dared ATL to do it last night and Mularkey stuck to a losing game plan. can't make that mistake again. open up the passing game in the 1st half, THEN use the running game to wear them down in the 2nd half.

3) no matter how well BVG may get the D to perform in any particular game, the offense is the strongest part of this team. the call on 4th and 6 makes sense if you're PIT, and you know Troy P can make a play because he has before. you lean on the players that have done it multiple times before. and Ryan has proven he can get it done in crunch time. NEVER TAKE THE BALL OUT OF THE HANDS OF YOUR BEST PLAYERS IN CRUNCH TIME. if Ryan fails to convert 4th and 6, fine. you still made the right call. he may not be Brady, but it's not like the Falcons D is Baltimore circa 2000.

hopefully Smitty's "self-scouting" brings these points home and they use what they learned to tcb in the playoffs.

2) if Atlanta makes it to the Super Bowl, Ryan is more likely to be the MVP than Turner. this isn't to deny how much Turner has meant to the team. his value has been HUGE. but teams are going to stack the line and shut down the run until Mularkey shows he's willing to make them pay for man coverage. if Atlanta is going to win in the playoffs, Ryan has to be given the chance to throw the ball against defenses that are selling out to stop the run. the Saints dared ATL to do it last night and Mularkey stuck to a losing game plan. can't make that mistake again. open up the passing game in the 1st half, THEN use the running game to wear them down in the 2nd half.

and to this point I say put the no huddle back in and more often. keep it unpredictable like we have all year, but for God's sake put it back in. It's one of the great things that separates Ryan from other good QBs.

agreed. the ability to call the game from the LOS is THE skill that can make and DC mortal. so long as the QB is able to make a pre-snap read, it renders a lot of defensive gimmicks useless. great defenses will still play well, but it takes the "gotcha" away from the D and puts it back on the offensive side of the ball.