So..all you BVG Haters...

wartownfalcon

I go by the old adage.."If it ain't broke, don't fix it"..

but how many of you BVG haters are saying TD "Bring Him Home" about Singletary as a Def Coord?

I was very specific as to the quality level of a replacement for BVG I would call for. Not a guy who has never been a DC. I would replace BVG with Marvin Lewis or one of the very few of like stature in a heartbeat--- but not just any name floating around. I said that BVG is adequate: not terrible.

We've had a top ten defense all season in points allowed. It's kinda silly for fans to talk about replacing a defensive coordinator when his defense is that good at keeping teams out of the endzone. We have no pass rush from the left end plus we have two third year players and one second year player in our secondary. He's doing a very nice job with the players he has. Smith loves Van Gorder, and so do I.

We've had a top ten defense all season in points allowed. It's kinda silly for fans to talk about replacing a defensive coordinator when his defense is that good at keeping teams out of the endzone. We have no pass rush from the left end plus we have two third year players and one second year player in our secondary. He's doing a very nice job with the players he has. Smith loves Van Gorder, and so do I.

Yeah, I think BVG has done a very good job. I was just wondering what the BVG haters thought. Imagine this D next year with a year under these youngins belts. Our D other than the pass rush is setup for some good things the next 5-10 years..if we can keep the unit together

My two cents...

I think tonight a lot of questions will be answered about BVG's coaching and defensive philosophy as this time we'll face a great QB and group of wide receivers coupled with, unlike the first meeting this year, a healthy group of running backs for the Saints. They will be more balanced which will test our defense like they need to be tested if they are to perform well enough to win the NFC and Super Bowl where usually you can expect to meet more balanced offenses. We will certainly meet some great QB's along the way.

As for BVG, while I am appreciative of the overall body of work including the turnover ratio and scoring defense, I am still not sold of his ability to call the right defensive formations or plays at critical moments. Certainly, some of the 3-man rushes on 3rd or 4th and longs have been questionable and too many times this season they have not stopped our opponents from scoring on long drives to tie or take the lead against us in the final minutes of the 4th quarter. Mr Ryan. Mr. White, Mr. Gonzales and Mr. Bryant several times this season have bailed out the defense by puling out last second wins after our defense surrendered such drives.

Again, tonight will tell us a lot about the progress of our defense as we move into the playoffs. With our drafts (Jerry, Witherspoon, Moore) and free agent (Robinson) focuses on the defense the past two seasons, he has been afforded many players to improve. However, if forced to make a prediction, if our Falcons are bumped out of the playoffs before making the Super Bowl, I will predict right now it will not be because of our offense, it will be because once again BVG's defense allowed an opponent's comeback late in the game and our offense finally ran out of last second heroics.

Again, tonight will answer a lot of questions about our defense as they will be tested by a top 2-3 QB in the NFL and still one of the most potent offenses that is both experienced in this environment as the reigning Super Bowl Champion and will be playing with the utmost urgency and some desperation to qualify for that which the Falcons have already secured--the playoffs.

Qb, I get what your saying....but you can't base your decision of something off one game of a 16 game season. I mean we've played 14 other games..if you don't have an idea of our how our defense is now..please dont use one game to make your decision...

People constantly criticize our defense and say they're the reason the games are close at the end..but thats not true....our defenae rose up in the Tampa game, stoping them short of the end zone...we brought huge momentum in the sehawks game....we sealed the browns game...we've also performed in other games...and we've done a good job of giving up few points this year per game, which is all that matters

For your argument to exist, you must think about why our offense didn't score to put it to a 2 or 3 possession game...Ryan has been great as has the offense...but often times they have let up it seems...so I mean I see the success we've enjoyed this year coming from the entire team and I don't see us really having a weak defense.

Qb, I get what your saying....but you can't base your decision of something off one game of a 16 game season. I mean we've played 14 other games..if you don't have an idea of our how our defense is now..please dont use one game to make your decision...

People constantly criticize our defense and say they're the reason the games are close at the end..but thats not true....our defenae rose up in the Tampa game, stoping them short of the end zone...we brought huge momentum in the sehawks game....we sealed the browns game...we've also performed in other games...and we've done a good job of giving up few points this year per game, which is all that matters

For your argument to exist, you must think about why our offense didn't score to put it to a 2 or 3 possession game...Ryan has been great as has the offense...but often times they have let up it seems...so I mean I see the success we've enjoyed this year coming from the entire team and I don't see us really having a weak defense.

You make some good points!

For the record, I'm not suggesting that we base any opinions or evaluations on this one game. Rather, this one game should give us an indicator of how well our defense can/should play in the same type of atmosphere and against the better QB's and offenses we would likely play in the postseason, especially the NFCCG or Super Bowl.

Having played the position, I know how pressure in my face hastened my decision making and affected the trajectory of some throws (affects accuracy and timing routes). I can tell you first hand I'd much prefer a 3 man rush that gives me 5-6 seconds to find a receiver than the 2-3 seconds you get with 4 or 5 coming from different locations. Brees, Rodgers and Brady will surgically dissect you given this much time.

And our offense leads the league in 10+ play drives and is, or is among, the top 2-3 teams in 3rd and 4th down conversions and time of possession. This absolutely limits opponent's ability to score on our passive pressure defense!

He has admited this season to not being an X and O type guy, if it wasn't for his HOF Career he would never have been given the job.

A head coach doesn't have to call the plays, but he sure as **** needs to know what the **** is going on.

Some people are amazing ditch diggers, that doesn't mean they would be good at picking where to dig.

Edited by BadMoonRising

He has admited this season to not being an X and O type guy, if it wasn't for his HOF Career he would never have been given the job.

A head coach doesn't have to call the plays, but he sure as **** needs to know what the **** is going on.

Some people are amazing ditch diggers, that doesn't mean they would be good at picking where to dig.

The transition for a perfectionist player like Singleton was to a person who is trying to teach, lead and motivate so many different styles, attitudes, skills, backgrounds is often insurmountable. Like the former All Star Short Stop for the Phillies, Larry Bowa, they usually want it done "their way or the highway" and their way may not always be the best way for certain individuals.

Singletary runs a 3-4 defense We run Cover 2 scheme. No bad fit Marvin Lewis could be great seeing he has helped coach great defenses Steelers Ravens Bvg Is a College Coach go back to college we need a Coordinator who can put fire into these players n not run a predictable scheme. N More Disciplined N our cover 2 our players play way off the bears cover 2 scheme they play up n press n bump n run n are more aggressive look at the Giants they have a great cover 2 scheme n have a lot of flexibility with there players we run 3-3-5 3-3-5 n 3-3-5 lol.

but how many of you BVG haters are saying TD "Bring Him Home" about Singletary as a Def Coord?

I think our D is ok. We may not be great, but we have not been bad. We have been good enough to have 3 winning seasons. We are bend but don't break. Yes I would like for us to be more aggressive, but I think the Falcons are happy with the job BVG is doing.

The transition for a perfectionist player like Singleton was to a person who is trying to teach, lead and motivate so many different styles, attitudes, skills, backgrounds is often insurmountable. Like the former All Star Short Stop for the Phillies, Larry Bowa, they usually want it done "their way or the highway" and their way may not always be the best way for certain individuals.

Very true.

You can also look at it like this. Our offense is #3 in time of possession and our defense is #15 in yards per game. That lets me know that even though our D is on the field less than most teams in the NFL they still get gashed for tons of yards.

first, it has to be understood that BVG isn't running anything on D that Mike Smith hasn't already supported. Smitty has a defensive background and he's the one that hired BVG - there's no doubt that the scheme ATL runs is just as much the signature of Mike Smith as it is Van Gorder.

and that scheme is based on two key factors: what the staff wants to do and who they have to run the scheme:

1) what they want to do on D. "bend but don't break" has become a pejorative, but it can be described more positively. the idea is to force the opponent's offense to make long drives without making mistakes. in other words, they want to make the opponent do what the Falcons offense does - with the assumption being that they can't do it consistently.

2) this approach is affected a lot by the personnel they have to work with. fans wanting to see a more aggressive pass rush need to recognize that ATL currently lacks the key personnel to pull off those kind of gambles. Abraham is the ONLY true pass-rushing threat on the DL. there is no speed rush from the LB position (Lofton is playing MLB, neither Peterson nor Nicholas is fast enough to get to the QB, and Weatherspoon has been hurt). with those limitations, the only way ATL could get after the QB would be to send corners and safeties, which would create big play opportunities down field for the opponent. Brees will KILL the Falcons if they start blitzing DBs. see #1 - ATL wants the opponent to take as long as possible to score, because they know they can beat any team when that's the game tempo.

BVG isn't a DC genius. but take a look at the numbers that matter - points allowed. Atlanta's best bet with this roster is to play the kind of D they've been playing.

first, it has to be understood that BVG isn't running anything on D that Mike Smith hasn't already supported. Smitty has a defensive background and he's the one that hired BVG - there's no doubt that the scheme ATL runs is just as much the signature of Mike Smith as it is Van Gorder.

and that scheme is based on two key factors: what the staff wants to do and who they have to run the scheme:

1) what they want to do on D. "bend but don't break" has become a pejorative, but it can be described more positively. the idea is to force the opponent's offense to make long drives without making mistakes. in other words, they want to make the opponent do what the Falcons offense does - with the assumption being that they can't do it consistently.

2) this approach is affected a lot by the personnel they have to work with. fans wanting to see a more aggressive pass rush need to recognize that ATL currently lacks the key personnel to pull off those kind of gambles. Abraham is the ONLY true pass-rushing threat on the DL. there is no speed rush from the LB position (Lofton is playing MLB, neither Peterson nor Nicholas is fast enough to get to the QB, and Weatherspoon has been hurt). with those limitations, the only way ATL could get after the QB would be to send corners and safeties, which would create big play opportunities down field for the opponent. Brees will KILL the Falcons if they start blitzing DBs. see #1 - ATL wants the opponent to take as long as possible to score, because they know they can beat any team when that's the game tempo.

BVG isn't a DC genius. but take a look at the numbers that matter - points allowed. Atlanta's best bet with this roster is to play the kind of D they've been playing.

I cannot disagree with 90% of your excellent post. I certainly agree with you that this is Smith's philosophy too and he used this at Jacksonville. However, the one thing I disagree with is BVG's tendency to not mix it up a little more late in games when we absolutely need a stop to preserve a lead or victory.

Too many times this season we have watched as opposing team's methodically--and too easily, in my opinion--march right down the field for a go ahead score leaving 60-90 seconds. Fortunately, Ice and his comrades have bailed out the defense.

I'm just suggesting that he mix it up a little and become less predictable at certain times. Sorry, but I've seen way too many 3rd and 4th and longs converted by his predictable 3 man rush!

Edited by Quarterback

we're on the same page - a wrinkle here and there is needed. (imo, a few wrinkles on O would be nice to see as well)

Weatherspoon getting healthy and Moore coming into his own at safety may allow for some twists.

i think Babineaux, Peters, and JA98 are the keys to this game. when Brees can step up in the pocket, he is dangerous - he doesn't have a cannon for an arm and that ability to step forward gives him a lil extra on his deep throws. he's short - disrupting his vision up the middle can be effective.

Marinelli did and now look what he is up to? Leading the Bears d-line! It happens when you are a failure at what you "think" you can succeed at... Lol!

Dude was thrust into a hopeless situation in Detroit, and for him to land

in Chicago was not vindicating because a great defense was already in place.

However, said, he as done well with Da Bearz, but come 2013 we will see if

he is a poser or not.

(2013 will be a defensive rebuild for Da Bearz)

Any fan saying this is just as NUTS as you are for starting this topic. No way in H3LL they even think about the name Singletary in Atlanta. I'm happy that Blank never took that fool seriously as a HC.