Saint Defense is Freakin' Soft

Birdfanatick

They don't have it in the front 7. Not to be "stout" as Sharper says. They do pretty well against pass happy teams because they blitz well and put a lot of pressure on Sharper and the other dbs. Their middle lb is athletic but belongs outside or in the middle in passing situations. I hope we pound them into oblivion and can't believe they think the're going to come in here and pound on our offense. Wow. We'll see in the fourth quarter who's beat up and tired. Saints defense or Falcon Offense.

I was actually going over their numbers last night just to see what the fuss about them being all improved is about. As it stand, they play 2 teams in the top 10 in scoring offense this year (us and the Cowboys), and only 3 in the top 12. They rank 4th in passing defense (195 yards allowed per game), but have only played 1 team in the top 10 in passing yards (Dallas @4th) with the next highest being the Bengals at 13. Even in yards per game where they rank 9th with 319 allowed on average, they play one team in the top 10, and only 2 teams in the top 12 (Dallas and the Falcons). Not to mention their turn overs are down this year, I just don't see how they are that much improved aside from the weaker offensive teams they have played.

And before some idiot on here claims we play the same exact schedule, you get to add the #1 offense in the league (Philly) to ours and Green Bay, but we can consider that a wash, at least offensively, with Dallas.

They are soft but they are opportunistic. They don't like to be physical but that is there whole team. Think about there offense. They find ways to go around while w can go through and around. That is why we can beat them. They have to play physical all game, not just in spurts. Their pass D is good because they like to jump to early leads (reason for most 1st qtr points but least through the other 3) and make you pass it allowing them to blitz.

They have feasted on weak teams (their streak was against sub-500 teams and ironically ended with a winning team). They can't beat well rounded teams like us. Turner, White, Tony G, Jenkins, Douglas, Snelling, Finn are too much for them to handle all game.

They are the defending Super Bowl champions and have followed this up with a respectable 10-4 record so they will either finish this season 11-5 or 12-4--not too darn bad as often SB teams have a tough time getting back there in consecutive years.

I have a healthy fear and respect for this time because of one primary person--Drew Brees! If he has one of his laser sharp, pin-point accuracy games they could walk out of our house with a win. Both are good teams and evenly matched, so neither a Falcons win or loss should be shocking. If we play our very best and avoid costly penalties or turnovers we should come out on top. Regardless, this will be a war until the last play!

My greatest fear is:

1. What would we do if the Saints somehow started out fast--like the Eagles--and get a huge lead? Unless Ryan is calling the plays in the no huddle I don't think we are built to come from too far behind,
  2. How would we play should WE get a large lead in the 2nd half? The Saints ARE built for and all out assault with the passing game and I would hate to see what happened to the Giants happen to us! We haven't played very well with a comfortable lead many times this season.

May the best team win!

The thing is, we're balanced and they're not. Obviously because of their offensive firepower we're going to run the ball and try to control the clock. Which means they may stack the box early. In the dome Ryan should be able to check off and get a shot or two over the top early if they try this.

On the other side, we simply play the pass and dare them to run.