16 players fined by NFL

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Guest atl.falcon4ever

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txnflfines

NEW YORK (AP) —Sixteen players, eight in each conference, were fined Friday by the NFL for illegal hits, including Atlanta defensive end Kroy Biermann(notes) and Cincinnati linebacker Dhani Jones(notes), each docked $15,000.

Biermann got the biggest fine for helmet-to-helmet contact on Seattle quarterback Charlie Whitehurst(notes). Jones was fined for the same infraction against Browns quarterback Colt McCoy(notes).

Overall, seven players were fined for roughing the passer and three for flagrant fouls on defenseless receivers, two points of emphasis by the league this year.

Baltimore free safety Ed Reed(notes) was fined $10,000 for hitting New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees(notes) in the face. Chicago linebacker Brian Urlacher(notes) lost $10,000 for striking defenseless Minnesota tight end Visanthe Shiancoe(notes) in the neck and head area, Urlacher’s second violation.

Another Bears defender, rookie safety Major Wright(notes), also was docked $10,000 for hitting rookie QB Joe Webb(notes) in the head and neck area and leading with his helmet.

Two Indianapolis Colts were docked $10,000 each. DE Robert Mathis(notes) struck Jacksonville QB David Garrard(notes) in the head and neck area. Safety Antoine Bethea(notes) was called for helmet-to-helmet contact with Jaguars WR Mike Thomas(notes).

New England cornerback Devin McCourty(notes) was fined $10,000 for unnecessary roughness. The rookie struck another rookie, Andrew Quarless(notes), in the head and neck area when the Packers tight end was defenseless.

Five players were fined $7,500 apiece, including Vikings DT Kevin Williams(notes) for a late hit on Chicago QB Jay Cutler(notes). Fellow Viking Antoine Winfield(notes) also roughed Cutler; the cornerback hit Cutler in the head and neck area to draw his fine.

Two players in the Eagles-Giants game were docked $7,500. New York LB Jonathan Goff(notes) was fined $7,500 for unnecessary roughness for hitting Philadelphia QB Michael Vick(notes) late and out of bounds. Eagles CB Dimitri Patterson(notes) was called for a horse-collar tackle.

Kansas City LB Demorrio Williams(notes) was fined $7,500 for a late hit against St. Louis.

New England DT Vince Wilfork(notes) was docked $5,000 for a major facemask when he grabbed Packers RB Brandon Jackson(notes). Dallas CB Terence Newman(notes) lost $5,000 for spearing Washington WR Santana Moss(notes).

Knowshon Moreno(notes) was fined $5,000 for a major facemask penalty.

Were does all this money go?

I wondered the same thing.

I tjought it should go to the NFL retirement health fund (or whatever it is) to help former players.

But the other night an announcer said something like: "well that hit will bring another $10,000 for charity" --or words to that effect.

So I guess it goes to some charity.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

First of all I understand safety but its football.

I mean some of these fines are just stupid.

Especially the one earlier in the year on Dunta Robinson. I do not feel he was trying to do nothing more than make a play. He got hurt just as bad as the other guy. When you are trying to make a play you can not always pin point were you will end up as fast as the game is played.

Why is Roger Goodell the final say, kinda like a dictator. We should have a panel of at-least 3 or more people who have say and to make something final it should be majority wins.

Football is designed to be tuff.

I mean why not just take the pads and helmets off and just start playing flag football.

Some fines are deserving, but some of theses players getting fined were trying to make a play and may have hit the person the wrong way. I mean for these guys to actually control every play were there body hits another player is just impossible.

So flag football is what we must need is my final conclusion.

Is their a time limit on how long this guy is commissioner. Just don't see why he gets final say. He is an NFL czar. One guy should not be solely responsible are be allowed to make these decisions.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I wondered the same thing.

I tjought it should go to the NFL retirement health fund (or whatever it is) to help former players.

But the other night an announcer said something like: "well that hit will bring another $10,000 for charity" --or words to that effect.

So I guess it goes to some charity.

I hope it does. Hate to think the worst, but more than likely some fake charity setup to put some extra cash in the NFL executives pockets. Maybe not though.

Guest AtlWhite84

The monetary fines enforced by the National Football League are allocated to the funds of a business property known as the National Football League.

I personally think the fines this week "All of them" are ridiculous!

I think it stupid and whimpy how the NFL is turning into a flag football league. I also "IMHO" think that most of if not all of todays football players could not hold a stinkin candle to those players of the 60,70's and 80's. It's not the players faults that the owners toss a gazillion dollars at them and suddenly the players are worth more in any fiscal year than the entire organization is. heck, If I ran my business that way I would also fine anyone that so much as brushed up against my franchise in cleats.

unions.. greed.. and most of all the "win it all now" mentallity is finally destroying a once rough and tough sport. Heck, Let's all just go play soccer.....That's exactly what it is going to be at this rate.

argh.

Edited by Goal2Go

I personally think the fines this week "All of them" are ridiculous!

I think it stupid and whimpy how the NFL is turning into a flag football league. I also "IMHO" think that most of if not all of todays football players could not hold a stinkin candle to those players of the 60,70's and 80's. It's not the players faults that the owners toss a gazillion dollars at them and suddenly the players are worth more in any fiscal year than the entire organization is. heck, If I ran my business that way I would also fine anyone that so much as brushed up against my franchise in cleats.

unions.. greed.. and most of all the "win it all now" mentallity is finally destroying a once rough and tough sport. Heck, Let's all just go play soccer.....That's exactly what it is going to be at this rate.

argh.

Its sad isnt it? the only game people in the USA all like in its being taken away from us. This is the same thing tht ruined the NBA, now its gonna ruin the NFL b/c we all have to be PC in every facet in life and now in the NFL. Its a shame.

Its sad isnt it? the only game people in the USA all like in its being taken away from us. This is the same thing tht ruined the NBA, now its gonna ruin the NFL b/c we all have to be PC in every facet in life and now in the NFL. Its a shame.

It's a tregedy actually.

When I played we were taught to break the other team. If "breaking" the other team just so happened to mean that their star QB got face planted into the mud and knocked out for the rest of the season we all were happy. They were the enemy! Thats how it worked. Heck, my coaches "all of them" coached that way. it's how the game was played.

I can not tell you how many piles I was in where fingers were broke or other worse things happened. It was just part of the game. Of course we had smoking areas at school and teachers would actually over see after school fights behind the school and so on. It was just a different world I guess. A tougher world. Nothing like today. everyone is a winner today.. I sometimes want to puke.. LOL

you know. back before the money flowed like water and scratches became badges of honor.

Ok. rant over.. back to your regularly scheduled thread. hehe

Edited by Goal2Go