Jerry still battling back from knee injury

atljbo

Jerry still battling back from knee injury

FLOWERY BRANCH -- Falcons defensive tackle Peria Jerry, the team's first-round draft pick in 2009, has not fully recovered from the knee injury that caused him to miss most of his rookie season, and it shows.

Jerry, who was taken with the 24th pick overall, plays only on third downs. He has seven tackles, a sack and has batted down a pass and has played in all 14 games.

"He's still not quite there as far as the injury goes," defensive line coach Ray Hamilton said. "But he is getting better. He's gotten better over the last couple of weeks. He's getting there."

Jerry said he has been able to handle his limited role and the rehabilitation process.

"I've been working hard," Jerry said. "Everything is coming back. It just takes time, but I feel real good about myself."

Jonathan Babineaux and rookie Corey Peters play defensive tackle on most running downs. Vance Walker also gets about 10 to 15 snaps per game.

Jerry is used in passing situations to minimize the chance of him getting double-teamed or caught in a run pile-up.

"I just have to keep following the plan," Jerry said. "We are doing good as a group with the front four. I just have to keep going at it and working."

Guest atl.falcon4ever

I am real concerned with this guys injury.

He was an older guy when we drafted him.

If Corey Peters and the rest of the team or sufficient then I mean what do you do with him.

After 2 years if that injury is still bothering him, that is a pretty bad injury to say the least.

When he gets back out there if its that bad of an injury 2 years ago how hard will it be for that same injury to occur again?

I mean he was a 1st round pick who is already older and may not contribute til 3 seasons into his career.

When do you just have to cut your ties and move on.

At least JA98 has been out there for most of the games.

I just am really bummed about him. I hope he comes in here and tears it up next year but just not even sure he will even be able to beat out Cory Peters for the starting job. And if he can't, isn't he to costly for us to keep as a 2nd stringer?

I just hate to see any of our draft picks not succeed but especially the 1st and 2nd rounders. I mean they have to be successful for us to build efficiently through the draft.

So is there hope for Peria Jerry or what do you guys think? I want there to be just after hearing his injury is still bothering him after all this time the future for him in the NFL does not look good.

Edited by atl.falcon4ever

I am real concerned with this guys injury.

He was an older guy when we drafted him.

If Corey Peters and the rest of the team or sufficient then I mean what do you do with him.

After 2 years if that injury is still bothering him, that is a pretty bad injury to say the least.

When he gets back out there if its that bad of an injury 2 years ago how hard will it be for that same injury to occur again?

I mean he was a 1st round pick who is already older and may not contribute til 3 seasons into his career.

When do you just have to cut your ties and move on.

At least JA98 has been out there for most of the games.

I just am really bummed about him. I hope he comes in here and tears it up next year but just not even sure he will even be able to beat out Cory Peters for the starting job. And if he can't, isn't he to costly for us to keep as a 2nd stringer?

I just hate to see any of our draft picks not succeed but especially the 1st and 2nd rounders. I mean they have to be successful for us to build efficiently through the draft.

So is there hope for Peria Jerry or what do you guys think? I want there to be just after hearing his injury is still bothering him after all this time the future for him in the NFL does not look good.

The injury wasn't 2 years ago. It was more like a year and 2 months ago.

The injury wasn't 2 years ago. It was more like a year and 2 months ago.

This ^

And im not too concerned about his age. DT's can still play at a high level despite their age. Look at the Williams Wall. I know Pat Williams has to be up there in age and he still plays at a high level. Look at Rod Coleman. Not sure how old he was when he played for us and Oakland, but IIRC he was pretty old and still dominated.