We May Have To Face the Saints in Our 1st Home Playoff Game

JRock2012

The #1 team plays the worst seeded team in the divisional round of the playoffs.

And if the Saints get the top wildcard seed, the #5 seed, that means they get to play the cupcake of all cupcake division winners out of the NFC West. They will almost certainly win that game.

So that means if the #6 seed doesn't upset the #3 seed, we would have to play the Saints in our 1st playoff game!

That is of course very unlucky considering that's probably the scariest team other than Philly for us to face.

So I'm hoping we win on Monday Night, and Tampa Bay somehow beats the Saints in Week 17 and knocks them out the playoffs. Probably not likely, but wow I do NOT want to play them out the gate like that

-

And just in case people don't know the format

#1 seed plays #4/#5/#6 seed in the divisional round

You play #4 seed if both home teams win in the wildcard round.

Now that would be amazing if somehow all we had to do is beat the NFC West winner to make NFCCG. But chances are it's not happening. Chances are a #5 seed will advance. And the only way we avoid them is if the #6 seed

advances as well. That's a possibility of course because Giants/Packers could beat Bears/Eagles in 1st round.

But boy right now it sure does look like we'll face the Saints.

Edited by JRock2012

The #1 team plays the worst seeded team in the divisional round of the playoffs.

And if the Saints get the top wildcard seed, the #5 seed, that means they get to play the cupcake of all cupcake division winners out of the NFC West. They will almost certainly win that game.

So that means if the #6 seed doesn't upset the #3 seed, we would have to play the Saints in our 1st playoff game!

That is of course very unlucky considering that's probably the scariest team other than Philly for us to face.

So I'm hoping we win on Monday Night, and Tampa Bay somehow beats the Saints in Week 17 and knocks them out the playoffs. Probably not likely, but wow I do NOT want to play them out the gate like that

Hey, I would be all for beating them 3 times in one season!!!!

Hey, I would be all for beating them 3 times in one season!!!!

Yeah but that's exactly the reason you don't want to face them again especially if we win. The odds of beating a team 3 times in one season is not good. That's why I think Philly may be screwed if they don't get a bye week because they will probably have to face the Giants in the 1st round.

Yeah but that's exactly the reason you don't want to face them again especially if we win. The odds of beating a team 3 times in one season is not good. That's why I think Philly may be screwed if they don't get a bye week because they will probably have to face the Giants in the 1st round.

Yeah, I know it is hard but it can be done. I would much rather face the Saints 3 times than to have to face the Eagles again. But, I definitely understand your point.

the Falcons have two chances to create the best path to the SB, the #1 seed. everything else is out of their control.

the best scenario that is also likely is the following

1) Atlanta

2) Chicago

3) Philadelphia

4) Seattle

5) New Orleans

6) New York

New Orleans is going to have the easiest matchup vs the NFCW champ, but having to travel across the country and play outside in likely inclement weather maximizes the challenge for them. NYG has a very good chance to beat PHI and, no matter what, will beat them up. If NYG wins, they come to the Dome. If not, PHI has to travel to Chicago and play a very physical D in likely terribly cold conditions.

obviously, the best scenario would be an NFCW upset of New Orleans, SO LONG AS the #3 seed takes care of business. it would stink for Seattle to beat the Saints, only to have NYG beat the Eagles. then CHI gets the easy 2nd round game.

Yeah, I know it is hard but it can be done. I would much rather face the Saints 3 times than to have to face the Eagles again. But, I definitely understand your point.

Good thing is we don't have to face Philly until the NFCCG if they made it. That's because barring an epic collapse their next two games they will be a #2 or #3 seed.

And there is no way the #1 seed can play the #2 or #3 seed until the NFCCG.

So we don't have to worry about them right now. That's kind of my point.

All this Philly talk when those pesky Saints are the scariest, clearly most likely matchup right now.

Philly has a lot of things to do before they make it to the GA Dome. Meanwhile all the Saints have to do if they get in is beat the measly Rams/49ers/Seahawks

the Falcons have two chances to create the best path to the SB, the #1 seed. everything else is out of their control.

the best scenario that is also likely is the following

1) Atlanta

2) Chicago

3) Philadelphia

4) Seattle

5) New Orleans

6) New York

New Orleans is going to have the easiest matchup vs the NFCW champ, but having to travel across the country and play outside in likely inclement weather maximizes the challenge for them. NYG has a very good chance to beat PHI and, no matter what, will beat them up. If NYG wins, they come to the Dome. If not, PHI has to travel to Chicago and play a very physical D in likely terribly cold conditions.

obviously, the best scenario would be an NFCW upset of New Orleans, SO LONG AS the #3 seed takes care of business. it would stink for Seattle to beat the Saints, only to have NYG beat the Eagles. then CHI gets the easy 2nd round game.

Yeah imagine being so excited that Seattle wins a game only to have the next day the Giants win a game and we have to face them instead of Seachickens

blau blau blau

one week at a time means one team at a time.

pay attention!

disregard the racists, and trolls.

Falcons Rise UP!

Yeah but if you think about it, it makes the Saints game even bigger. At first I thought it was meaningless because we still get to beat the Panthers to get #1 seed.

But the fact that we could see New Orleans again, we need to win to at least set up a scenario where they could miss the playoffs if they lost in week 17

Stop repeating a lie. Your odds are actually better to beat a team a 3rd time.

Through 2008, a team that has won twice in the regular season has beaten the team a 3rd time 11 out of 18 times. That is 61% even better than a 50/50 chance against some random team you have not faced before.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/01/12/apparently-its-not-uncommon-for-teams-to-beat-opponents-three/

If we are good enough to beat them twice, we are good enough to beat them thrice.

Don't buy that logic. Beat you once, now will beat you twice. If needed will beat you Nth time. (you=NO)

This seems to be a foregone conclusion that we will play the Saints in the second round, one that I myself was guilty of last week.

It is very likely that the #6 seed could defeat a #3 seed Chicago Bears team (which would likely be Green Bay or the NY Giants).

Irregardless, any team the Falcons will face in the playoffs will be solid and only the opening round of the #5 seed vs. #4 seed NFC West divisional winner game should be clear cut.

I don't think playing the Saints is any more concerning than any of the other teams that maybe in the playoffs. The Saints might even lose to the NFC West team.

If you are the number 1 seed, you shouldn't be afraid of anybody.

Besides, I don't think the Saints are better than the Bears, Eagles, Packers, or Giants.

Not sure if anyone else said this cuz I didn't feel like reading all the other posts but your statement isn't true. I saw the other day that teams that have played 3 times in a season, 11 of 19 games had been sweeps. So actually it's more likely to beat a team 3 times in a season then it is 2 of 3.