One small knock on Grimes

FantasyFOF

I don't know how this can be true because he's second on the team in tackles right behind Curtis Lofton. Doesn't look like he's doing a lot of bouncing to me. Dude is a solid tackler.

Look at some of the big runs put up on us this year, and I guarantee you will see grimes taking the wrong gap... I am not saying he doesn't have a lot of tackles. I mean you do get credit for the tackle even when the back has been dragging you a few yards and someone else comes in to help out...

Not a Grimes hater, far from it actually, just pointing out something that I have seen this year...

Maybe I'm making an issue out of nothing, but I guarantee the coaches are starting to notice this too, esp. after the Tampa game.

I think it would be a great small tweak to his game to stop landing directly on the ball, but I'm not sure is that's even correctable. I was hoping for some insight from someone who's played the position

Sir, I guess Im gonna be the only one to ANSWER to your question, without being a Smarta$$. Yes, he can control it, but its dangerous to. He could come down at a wrong angle if he tries to get a hand on the ground to brace himself. Or He could lose the catch trying to switch hands AND tuck it. But he's developing the habit of immediately rolling, so that takes away from the impact.

So simply, yes he can. How do coaches teach him?? Drills of intercepting the ball at its highest point, until it becomes habit to think and analyze: "body position, height of the jump to weight ratio, and angle of jump" while the ball is in the air.

Sir, I guess Im gonna be the only one to ANSWER to your question, without being a Smarta$$. Yes, he can control it, but its dangerous to. He could come down at a wrong angle if he tries to get a hand on the ground to brace himself. Or He could lose the catch trying to switch hands AND tuck it. But he's developing the habit of immediately rolling, so that takes away from the impact.

So simply, yes he can. How do coaches teach him?? Drills of intercepting the ball at its highest point, until it becomes habit to think and analyze: "body position, height of the jump to weight ratio, and angle of jump" while the ball is in the air.

??? :mellow:

Not to knock you, but when was the last time you leaped 3 feet off the ground, in a backwards position, get both hands on the ball while analyzing: "body position, high of jump to weight ratio....etc...it sounds good.

When he skies for the ball, there's nothing he can do.

However, when he makes a break on an out, he can turn to land on his side/back instead of stomach. This is what is taught to WRs...you'll notice when Marvin Harrison made all his diving catches, he'd land and slide on his back. That enables a guy to secure the ball and is something you see out of receivers in the modern age that you didn't see much before.

Though the OP has gotten ridicule, and I've got zero problems with Grimes getting his hands on the ball so often, learning to turn the under shoulder instead of the over shoulder (thus landing toward the back, would help him secure the INTs.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Man on man, if you wanted too you could critique every professional athlete in the world. As long as he performs, especially at the level GrimeTime is performing at right now, I think we will be o.k.

Stop knocking the OP, he said he doesnt have any playing experience, and was just wondering the technique that MIGHT be taught after picking a pass. I coach WRs and DBs and played the position, and Im sure many other members here have. While DBs are not specifically taught 'rolling under' a ball, wide recievers are. If you have ever heard the talking heads praise a reciever's 'body control', the act of catching a pass and then turning your body under it as to not lose control definately falls under the category of the aforementioned 'body control'. For DBs, it is much harder to roll under the ball, especially in zone coverage (which the Falcs run the majority of the time), as they usually dont have much momentum when they make the catch because they are facing the ball when they catch it.

Edited by Clowsephus

??? :mellow:

Not to knock you, but when was the last time you leaped 3 feet off the ground, in a backwards position, get both hands on the ball while analyzing: "body position, high of jump to weight ratio....etc...it sounds good.

hahaha well i've never jumped 3ft in the air, but I've played both sides of the ball before (WR,SS). And I use to practice attacking the ball at its heightest point. now personally, my mind moves kind of quickly, so All of that info is analyzed WHILE tracking the ball, and not while in the in air. Once I leap, its already determined. lol!

Maybe I'm making an issue out of nothing, but I guarantee the coaches are starting to notice this too, esp. after the Tampa game.

I think it would be a great small tweak to his game to stop landing directly on the ball, but I'm not sure is that's even correctable. I was hoping for some insight from someone who's played the position

If the balls came loose alot of people on here would be complaining about it. He makes the plays so they don't. Maybe he can't control the way he lands with the speed of the plays, I don't know. Hopefully he keeps coming down with them and we get our long overdue ring this season.