Mike Pereira on Braytons hit on Chris Owens - Wow!

Link

He is saying that this is common place - is it coached, etc? Honestly sounded like he was trying to excuse the act.

One thing I found interesting - when he was talking about the illegal things players do:

He said New Orleans had perfected - the pull and shoot

Orchestrated act - on a field goal or try - one defensive player will pull an offensive player to the side - and allow a shooter to get through and block the kick.

He said New Orleans took it to a new level by having a 3rd player whose job was to position himself to block the view of the official when they did this.

SMH - they know this stuff goes on every game - so why not be consistent with the penalties if they want to send a message?

I'm not surprised about the New Orleans stuff. Not the first time I've heard them being called dirty. Sean Peyton come off as a jerk to me so he probably would be the one to coach crap like that.

I mean.....a pull and shoot isn't a dirty play. Just illigal. I promise you every team has it in their playbook, it's just a matter of trying to get away with it at a critical moment.

I mean.....a pull and shoot isn't a dirty play. Just illigal. I promise you every team has it in their playbook, it's just a matter of trying to get away with it at a critical moment.

This reminds me of someone trying to convince me that smoking weed is not bad, it's just against the law. If you get a penalty for it then you probably shouldn't be doing it. I'll never say it's ok to cheat at something because that's essentially what that is. They made a rule to prevent it for a reason correct?

This reminds me of someone trying to convince me that smoking weed is not bad, it's just against the law. If you get a penalty for it then you probably shouldn't be doing it. I'll never say it's ok to cheat at something because that's essentially what that is. They made a rule to prevent it for a reason correct?

Well you don't classify everything that is illigal as "dirty". I mean...I don't. When I think of "dirty", I think of an intent to hurt.

A pull and shoot is a play designed to block a FG.

If that is your definition of dirty, then virtually every DB and every offensive lineman in the league is dirty, cause every lineman commits 3 holdings for every holding call and every DB commits 3 illigal contacts for every illigal contact call.

Watch the playoffs.....illigal contact will happen on literally every single play of the game.

Two words for Mike Pereira: Company Man.

Even though he (supposedly) works for Fox instead of the league, he still refuses to call BS when he sees BS in officiating. If I were Fox I would wonder for what are they paying him then?

Regarding Brayton - the video is not as pretty so they cannot replay it on Sportscenter 20 times - but to me this is worse than Alosi. Owens is on the white (excluded) sideline and Brayton enters into that area (past the box area)and deliberately slams Owens's head.

At least Alosi was standing inside the 'legal' player-coach area behind the white strip. I kind of defended Alosi for that and said he should be fined and forget about it - but that was before it came out he lied about telling players to stand there on purpose. He should be fired for lying, not for the knee.

Hitting a guy on the white area should be no different than a 12th man entering the field of play illegally. Not to mention this was contact to Owen's head, which is supposed to draw bigger fines and personal foul penalties.

The league responds to publicity. Owens didn't lay hurt on the field after the contact - he jumped up, and all they (apparently) had was coach tape. I'll give Jay Glazer good for finding it and bringing it up.

Final thought: NFLPA would never allow it, but if they wanted fines to be real deterrents they would fine a % of a guy's actual contract (not just his game day salary since much is put into bonuses, etc.) That would get some attention to fine a guy 1% of his $10M contract and 1% of another guy's $500k vet minimum contract.

Well you don't classify everything that is illigal as "dirty". I mean...I don't. When I think of "dirty", I think of an intent to hurt.

A pull and shoot is a play designed to block a FG.

If that is your definition of dirty, then virtually every DB and every offensive lineman in the league is dirty, cause every lineman commits 3 holdings for every holding call and every DB commits 3 illigal contacts for every illigal contact call.

Watch the playoffs.....illigal contact will happen on literally every single play of the game.

Look, I understand that there is a very fine line between legal in illegal when it comes to penalties in general, especially things like PI's and Holding calls. I'm not trying to define a word or anything like that here but all I'm saying that a "pull and shoot" sounds like a premeditated act that's obviously against the rules. That's wrong any way you present it IMO. Illegal contact, PI, holding all those things could possibly be incidental but I'm not getting into all that because it's aside from the topic. I'm just saying if you are knowing breaking a rule then that's wrong.

Not exactly. As long as you're willing to pay the penalty if you get caught, then you can do what you want. A couple of good examples might be holding or pass interference: if the DE is sailing by you, you bloody well better hold him as opposed to letting him cream the QB. If the WR is about to catch a TD, interfere him and make sure he knows he was good and interfered with.

Link

He is saying that this is common place - is it coached, etc? Honestly sounded like he was trying to excuse the act.

One thing I found interesting - when he was talking about the illegal things players do:

He said New Orleans had perfected - the pull and shoot

Orchestrated act - on a field goal or try - one defensive player will pull an offensive player to the side - and allow a shooter to get through and block the kick.

He said New Orleans took it to a new level by having a 3rd player whose job was to position himself to block the view of the official when they did this.

SMH - they know this stuff goes on every game - so why not be consistent with the penalties if they want to send a message?

how is he excusing the act? he notes the disconnect between the punishments received by brayton and alosi or whatever his name is. he says this happens a lot and the central question is whether or not coaches are instructing players to do it. he also says the league will be looking closer to at and dealing with these situations, especially the more they happen.

Mike Pereira is an idiot anyway. He's went against us several times in challenges only to have the call go our way.

NFL refs in general are ******* awful.

So Falcon fans have a reason to complain about Refs?

This is not only a facemask, it is the FOURTH one on our QB that did not get called.

My link

and in a year where the refs are told to protect the QB!

Not exactly. As long as you're willing to pay the penalty if you get caught, then you can do what you want. A couple of good examples might be holding or pass interference: if the DE is sailing by you, you bloody well better hold him as opposed to letting him cream the QB. If the WR is about to catch a TD, interfere him and make sure he knows he was good and interfered with.

I'm talking about a predetermined act. Not spontaneous acts like holding off a DE who beat you or anything like that. I understand what you're saying and you're exactly right but I think we are talking about two different things.

I'm talking about a predetermined act. Not spontaneous acts like holding off a DE who beat you or anything like that. I understand what you're saying and you're exactly right but I think we are talking about two different things.

My only point was that I think comparing what Brayton did to a "pull and shoot" is a bad comparison in my opinion. I am surprised Pereira went down that road.

And for me, "dirty" means you are trying to hurt somebody. For you, it obviously just means illigal. Fair enough.

So if all this is just trying to win, I think they should lift Alosi's suspension. I mean, the guy obviously didn't do anything that plenty of other teams would have done in the same situation. He just got caught.

If the gunner had not gotten injured nothing would've been made of that incident.