Joe Schad: What agents are telling underclassmen

atljbo

Agents telling juniors they need to get into NFL to work through potential rookie earning scale plan ASAP

Some agents who represent NFL players are taking a different tact, however. One prominent sports agent who represents players said he's advising juniors to enter the draft as soon as possible because of the possibility of a rookie wage scale that could limit players' earnings in the first few years of their careers.

"I tell them, 'You need to get into the system as quickly as possible,' " the agent said. 'You'll need to get to that second contract as soon as you can.' "

Thats why i think late 1st round pick are so valuable (teams want to trade back in the 1st round) ... Teams and agents feel like a late 1st round pick is stealing a free year.

Ive read articles that agents has said they rather their rookie clients get drafted in the 2nd round then the late 1st round... That extra year for a cheap price (late 1st rounders)

Check this out... This is how the league wants the top pick to be paid.

Under the proposal, the first pick in the draft would sign a five-year contract and receive a $5.34 million signing bonus and $1.5 million salary his rookie year, even if he does not play a single down. In years two and three, his salary would be set at $1.7 million and $1.9 million, respectively. His fourth- and fifth-year salaries would rise to $2.3 million and $2.9 million for a total package of $15.6 million. (If he is a quarterback, he would be paid $4.3 million in year six.) The first pick would still be paid well, but at a much more reasonable level than under the current system.

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Ok, if this new pay scale happens. Were does all the money that would normally be spent go. Can I finally afford to take family to a Falcons game without breaking the bank? Doubtful but that extra money is going somewhere, bet you that!!!

Guest atl.falcon4ever

Ok, if this new pay scale happens. Were does all the money that would normally be spent go. Can I finally afford to take family to a Falcons game without breaking the bank? Doubtful but that extra money is going somewhere, bet you that!!!

Edited by atl.falcon4ever

The money is supposed to go and give vets who have proven themselves a bigger contract.

Exactly. You better believe the fans wont see any of these costs savings in ticket prices or hotdogs.

(Just Fyi, new Dallas stadium charges $5 for a bottle of water.)

Also, of course the agent is going to tell juniors to leave early and go to the NFL....thats how he gets paid. I dont think i could imagine a scenario where, an agent recommends that a player stay in school.

The money is supposed to go and give vets who have proven themselves a bigger contract.

Yeah, except this will make teams that more eager to build through the draft. Vets already have issues w/ teams wanting to get younger, now they'll get younger and save $$. IMO instead of making Vet contracts larger, this money should go to retired players health care.