• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Observations Rev.

Regarding Seattles opening drive:

The Sea Hags studied their film and scripted a beautiful

opening drive to put 7 on the board.

My suspicion was that was pretty much all they had for the game.

I was also very impressed with Smitty, MM and Ryan, managing the game.

We could have gave that team a solid thrashing and ran the points

through the roof.

I was also shocked to see the sun shinning in Seattle.

That kinda sorta compares to **** freezing over.

Ice Man strikes again :D

+1, Sir!

It's as if you wrote my thoughts down for me. Up 34-10, and their starting QB benched, the life was all but sucked out of the stadium and the Seagulls. Although many were on here complaining about the playcalling b/c they wanted a blowout, our objective was clearly to keep the clock running and end the game asap so we could head home with another victory in hand and prepare for a big one the Saints.

No one on the staff cares about style points. Every game is being managed by the situation presented. The defense was playing very well and no reason to let them take us home in the fourth quarter. I even wonder if Coach Smith and the staff wanted them out there for other reasons; like the opportunity to gain more confidence, gel a bit more, and get a few extra reps against live competition. Just a thought.

My negatives from the game were: The scoring drive by the Seahawks that was aided by 30 yards in penalties, which included one from Erik Coleman on punt coverage. Not a good way to campaign for more playing time. This team prides itself in not doing the silly things to beat themselves. When you're competing multiple penalties on the same drive, that can lead to points. His penalty pretty much set the tone for that drive.

My only other negative was the play of the defense on the opening drive. It appears we very much have a defense and a scheme that prefers to play from ahead. I credit the Seahawks for scripting a great opening drive, but I'm worried if we have a weakness that has been exposed on the defense. Teams have seen success attacking our edges and getting to the second and third level of the defense.

It helps me to understand why Smith and Mularkey focus so much on controlling the tempo of the game, and are quick to elect to receive with the opening possession of the game. After the score by SEA, we put together a 14-play, eight minute drive our own, not allowing SEA their second possession until the second qtr. SEA's approach quickly changed as their next three plays were three incomplete passes. I can't recall seeing a team feeling so pressured from a tie score so early in the game.

Our ball-control, grind-it-out, time sustaining offensive drives really forces team to get away from what they want to do. The ball-control is effective as it is b/c more often than not, they culminate with points on the board. And it's important that more often than not, those points are seven and not three -- as we saw in BAL game. We dominated for the first two-and-a-half qtrs, but only had 13 points to show for it, which allowed BAL to quickly get back in the game with a couple quick scoring drives of their own.

But anyway, you hear Coach Smith talk often about how important it is to "self-scout" your own team, and he knows the weaknesses of this team very well. He understands that our defense is not elite, but it is fast and plays a lot better when they're forcing the action instead of reacting to what the offense does. When we're in control of the ball game, which does not necessarily mean we have to be leading -- just controlling the overall tempo, we're more relaxed and just play much better and are more confident in our decision making. The guys really trust what they see.

As a defensive guy, I think he has a good feel for how opposing offenses will attack us.

My other negative was Sean Weatherspoon. He's not playing as fast as we need him to play. He's not flying to the football and is really getting pushed around in the run game.

I love what Brian Williams brings from the Nickel. He can blitz as well as Woodson of the edge and he's reliable in coverage. I hope that the good work by Chris Owens leads to more trust from the coaches in him on defense, but Williams is really playing too well there to be replaced.

With all this said, the Falcons will beat the Saints next Monday. The Falcons are playing with a ton of confidence right now. They've already beaten the Saints once before this season, and have also beaten BAL and GB, and have just got through winning three consecutive games on the road and eight overall. I believe New Orleans will have a tough time overcoming their own loss at Baltimore and will be playing on the road for the second week in a row.

It's been well documented how well we play at home, and I think it will continue. Our team is well-coached and will be well-prepared. Falcons will win!

When you tell a joke, you are supposed to put a smiley face by it. Otherwise, people might think you are serious.

Currently, they are one game back of Seattle and the Rams, who are 6-8. They play at St. Louis this week. The Seahawks travel to Tampa to play the pissed off but I think still alive Bucs. Niners and Bucs win. Now everyone is 6-9. The Niner's play the Cardinals at home week 17. The niners have the best division record, so they win any tie.

This is not a joke. (Unlike the NFC West.)

Edited by holymoses

I was actually in the 8th row for this game, here are my own observations:

- our star QB was a bit erratic in the first half, but as usual, he is deadly in the last couple of minutes of a half. he was particularly off in the first quarter, but quickly settled in in the 2nd half.

- willie more is a huge upgrade over coleman. his speed and ability to run down offensive players is highly underrated. if not for him there would have been 2 plays for seattle that were already big gains, that would have been a lot worse.

- dare i say grimes is a better CB than robinson? ph34r.gif still, it's good that we solidified the position by picking dunta up.

- my seahawks buddy standing next to me was trying to convince me leon washington i think it was was a better returner than weems. the following 2 returns: weems to midfield, washington to the 19. you fail, seahawks rabble!

- roddy white is goofy. the dude in warmups was constantly laughing and smiling. at one point it looked like he was ribbing matt ryan.

- it may not show on tv, but peterson is one of our more enthusiastic players. decoud is up there as well in terms of energy.

- not that we care that much, but hasselbeck is on his last leg in seattle. 2 picks, got benched, fumble in the end zone. seattle is fed up with him, but i wouldnt mind signing him as a backup some time in the future. he's a smart QB for the most part but he's got a bit of a problem with happy feet and forcing things a bit.

- mularkey is a lot smarter than some people on this MB give him credit for. my friend pointed out that trufant only plays LCB, and doesn't typically match up against a particular receiver. mularkey figured it out rather quickly: he played Douglas on the outside against him, and he blew right past him. lucky for seattle, ryan made a safer short pass to gonzo. if ryan makes a different read there, we probably have a 35 yard td pass. smart move, as trufant is still supposedly recovering from gnarly back and knee injuries.

- we need to utilize jenkins more, especially in the red zone. we get stuffed on the run sometimes down there...seattle wasnt good at it, but he has decent speed and great size. we went over the top to him for a TD, hopefully this is something we see more of, because corners have a tough time winning jump balls against guys his size. we've done it sporadically with finneran, i'd like to see some red zone packages with both finneran and jenkins on the outside...you could even put roddy in the slot and create some REAL matchup problems. think about this...an OLB covering roddy and a couple of corners trying to compete with both jenkins and finneran's size on the outside. i'm drooling just thinking about it.

- seahawks fans are loud, but pretty well-behaved for the most part. one of the funnest parts about going to this game was about half a dozen people coming up to me and going "i hate you falcons fan, but i need you (i was wearing a roddy white jersey) to get me 100 yards and a touchdown today." what else can you do but laugh at that?

- got some good snapshots of the game, but unfortunately none were any of the TD's except for the fumble recovery. if i can ever figure out how to upload pics into this thing i might try and upload some of them, except for the ones i took of the chick's rear end in front of me.

as the OP mentioned, weems is more important than we maybe give him credit for...field position doesn't get a whole lot of discussion, but he has been very good for us.

Great insight. I would love to go to a game in Seattle someday. It's a beautiful city.

Pretty disgusted at the sentiment that "the Saints game doesn't matter."

The Saints game ALWAYS matters, it's the Saints. Some serious weaksauce from our fanbase in this thread, and then people want to complain when Atlanta fans are criticized. You all should be ashamed.

If you'd be fine with a loss to the Saints and them clinching a playoff spot in the Georgia Dome then you don't have an ounce of Falcons fan in you.

You guys act like there is no mathematical possibility that we could lose to the Panthers after losing to the Saints. How stupid would this team feel, and you as a fan feel, for thinking "Oh well the Saints game doesn't matter a whole lot" and then we turn around and lose to the Saints two weeks in a row by losing to the Panthers because the Saints loss was still in our heads.

If we lose to the Saints, we absolutely HAVE to beat the Panthers, unless you just want to double-tempt fate by hoping and praying for the Saints to lose to the Bucs in the last week when THEY now have homefield advantage possibly on the line as well. That is unneeded pressure that this team is a lot better off not having to worry about.

I didn't say I thought we would lose to the Saints or I didn't want to win. I want to beat them just about as bad as I want a Super Bowl win. But mathematically, we are still in good shape even if we dont win. The bottom line is if we beat Carolina OR the Saints, we clinch home field for the playoffs..

Pretty disgusted at the sentiment that "the Saints game doesn't matter."

The Saints game ALWAYS matters, it's the Saints. Some serious weaksauce from our fanbase in this thread, and then people want to complain when Atlanta fans are criticized. You all should be ashamed.

If you'd be fine with a loss to the Saints and them clinching a playoff spot in the Georgia Dome then you don't have an ounce of Falcons fan in you.

You guys act like there is no mathematical possibility that we could lose to the Panthers after losing to the Saints. How stupid would this team feel, and you as a fan feel, for thinking "Oh well the Saints game doesn't matter a whole lot" and then we turn around and lose to the Saints two weeks in a row by losing to the Panthers because the Saints loss was still in our heads.

If we lose to the Saints, we absolutely HAVE to beat the Panthers, unless you just want to double-tempt fate by hoping and praying for the Saints to lose to the Bucs in the last week when THEY now have homefield advantage possibly on the line as well. That is unneeded pressure that this team is a lot better off not having to worry about.

You misunderstood the Rev, and there's no way the panthers win against the Falcons, absolutely no way.

The Smith/Ryan led Falcons are currently 17-0 against sub 500 teams, assuming all the teams they beat this year stay under 500.

If the falcons need to win that game, it will be over by halftime.

Agreed, the gloves drove me crazy throughout the game yesterday.

Grimes is a BEAST. I love watching him play. He is probably the most exciting CB I have ever seen play.. Yes more exciting than Deion. We have to find a way to resign sugar nips!

Weems is probably one of my top 5 favorite players on the team. Impact play on special teams is what we were missing the first half of the year and Weems has been unbelievable this half.

Last but not least... WE DAT TEAM GONE BEAT DEM SAINTS! Go Falcons!

I can't knock Grimes's play as he is lights out at the moment but c'mon he could'nt hold a candle to Dieon in his Prime sorry about the pun.Dieon just had more swagger and more overall effect on the outcome of a game than just on defense and in the swagger stakes please I have'nt seen to many guys return a INT,Punt or Kick Return and start high stepping 40 yards from the endzone showing the ball to potiential tacklers fully knowing they aren't going to get close to him.

I'm sorry but Dieon is on a whole nother level than Grimes.

I can't knock Grimes's play as he is lights out at the moment but c'mon he could'nt hold a candle to Dieon in his Prime sorry about the pun.Dieon just had more swagger and more overall effect on the outcome of a game than just on defense and in the swagger stakes please I have'nt seen to many guys return a INT,Punt or Kick Return and start high stepping 40 yards from the endzone showing the ball to potiential tacklers fully knowing they aren't going to get close to him.

I'm sorry but Dieon is on a whole nother level than Grimes.

I wasn't aware there was a stat called "swagger"