Key Draft Strategy

Granted we "should" be picking between pick #28-32, there are a few key positions I've listed that we should look at.

Let look at our biggest needs by evaluating our roster:

OFFENSE---

1. QB---We'll take a QB in the late rounds just for competition for John Parker.

2. RB--- I believe Norwood is done in Atlanta (too injury prone) and Snelling may leave via Free Agency. Thus-- we'll probably use a RB pick early in the draft. I don't see Gartrell as an answer. Possible Fre Agent as well.

3. WR--- White is safe, and Jenkins has been awesome the last few weeks for us. Plus--HD is coming off the Knee injury ( nearly everone says it takes a full year to come back from). Plus Weems is to valuable on Special Teams. Meir should be back, but another mid to late pick here could be made if Finn is considered expendable, or Meir not healthy enough.

4. OL--Big question mark here as the CBA may determine our outcome. Baker starts, but thats all we're sure of now. Blaylock and Dahl are Fre Agents, with Johnson and Hawley chomping to replace them. Clabo is also a FA, but should be re signed to play either Tackle or Gaurd. Plus--McClure's age is important as well. I could see our 1st pick being the Center ( Pouncey ) from Florida, or a OT that drops to us. Either would not be a bad investment.

5. TE-- Peele is decent & Palmer has impressed, but we could use more speed here given TG would be a great mentor for someone.

Defense----

1. DT-- We're good here. We have a solid rotation. Plus we still have Trey Lewis on the roster (who I still strongly like). Also--Peria should be FULLY healthy next year to make this even stronger.

2. DE-- The key here is Sidbury's growth under Ray Hamilton's teaching. We know Abrahams age, and Kroys ability( who has not matched his Pre-season showing), but should get better. I believe we could use a pick here or a Free Agent pick up.

3. LB---I believe Peterson is a FA, but his loyalty to Mike Smith will bring him back as a MENTOR for his replacement. Nicholas may be the answer, BUT we need QUALITY depth here behind Lofton & Spoon. Thus a high pick could be used here.

4.Safety---Playing good here, but depth may be needed. Plus---Owens could be an answer here if he's fallen out of the CB rotation.

5. CB--We still are giving up way too many big plays here, but we are palying better as of late. Is it Pass Rush ? or is it poor coverage ? We will draft the answer right here....

I believe age will be a major factor in our draft assesment as well

1. McClure at Center ( was Hawley the answer last year ?)

2. Tony G ( will he return if we win it all ? )

3. Abraham at DE ( will Sidbury be the answer ? )

4. Peterson at OLB ( Nicholas has done well this year when he's played, but we need DEPTH here)

5. Finneran on key 3rd down plays.

Rest assure, the 5 positions above will be top priority. I feel that MCClure replacement is the most important due to his ability to protect our FRANCHISE QB. It all starts with the Center and his ability to help Ryan. Thus-- I would take the highest rated Center with our 1st pick and then fill the rest ( if a MAJOR Free Agent center is not available tha is).

I believe age will be a major factor in our draft assesment as well

1. McClure at Center ( was Hawley the answer last year ?)

2. Tony G ( will he return if we win it all ? )

3. Abraham at DE ( will Sidbury be the answer ? )

4. Peterson at OLB ( Nicholas has done well this year when he's played, but we need DEPTH here)

5. Finneran on key 3rd down plays.

Rest assure, the 5 positions above will be top priority. I feel that MCClure replacement is the most important due to his ability to protect our FRANCHISE QB. It all starts with the Center and his ability to help Ryan. Thus-- I would take the highest rated Center with our 1st pick and then fill the rest ( if a MAJOR Free Agent center is not available tha is).

Agree by in large. Agree Center position is important however despite his age McClure has not missed a start in forever and Hawley was impressive in PS. In my opinion DE is the highest priority. TD called it 1 of 3 "pillar" positions...the others being QB and LT. At DE we have an aging Abe who unlike McClure has been prone to injuries in the past; Biermann still unclear if he is an every down DE, appeared better as rotational guy; C Davis, nice rotational guy for depth but has a limited ceiling; JA98 who plays both big DE & DT well but did not show that he could get to Qb when he was an every down DE and Sid, who you mention but thus far has failed to make the active squad; so he is a big question mark. Mind you we need 2 DEs so of the 5 only Abe has shown he can play every down. Up until Carolina game ALL the other DEs had 1 or 2 sacks COMBINED. We have to get to the other teams Franchise Qb if we want to beat play-off teams. Therefore I rate DE the highest priority....JMHO though. Would also throw a change of pace speed RB in the list of priority needs as well.

Edited by gritzblitz

Dimitroff already drafted players to groom to replace McClure and replace one or two others if they don't perform, most likely Dahl at this point, so O-line won't be viewed as a major need. D-line, however, will likely see some re-tooling. Biermann has a relentless motor but you need more than that in the NFL. He has no dominating moves and that leaves him just a step too late so he'll be replaced for the starters role. There aren't really any DE prospects that can make an immediate impact so Dimitroff will probably use his annual big splash free agency/trade move here and then draft a project to groom to leave the higher round picks for other needs, most likely Romeus since he's shown a great amount of talent but will drop a good deal due to injury concerns which TD is not afraid of and they could get him in the 2nd.

I believe in the 1st round they'll go after Kyle Rudolph. Tony Gonzalez is no guarantee to return which will leave Justin Peele as our starting TE, but he isn't much younger. I know TE isn't an extremely important position but remember that Dimitroff said that he'll be much more willing to make luxury picks this draft. With that Ryan will have a very good, young TE to target who could possibly be groomed under Gonzalez. After that they can get Szczur which will help address a number of needs.

Well, none by the time we get to pick. Maybe Allen Bailey but I get the feeling someone will overdraft him.

aww that's the key. For a minute there I thought you meant the entire draft and I was wondering why you felt that way.

But yes you could VERY EASILY be right about no immediate starter's at DE being available. That's why your TE pick makes all the sense in the world.

I very much hope (and expect) our top 4 picks to be DE, WR, TE, speedback (not necessarily in that order) unless a really good OT drops.

We need some tools for the offense, and some developing players, as we're a lot older on that side of the ball (whereas the defense has a lot of young and developing guys)