ESPN Chat, Final Word, and Mailbag: Pat Yasinskas

theProf

Chat with Pat Yasinskas

Steve (Coachella, CA)

Do you have Mike Smith as the Coach Of The Year?

Pat Yasinskas (1:04 PM)

Let's see how it finishes. But if he goes 13-3 or 14-2, he's got my vote.

J.P. (Kenner, La.)

Will the Falcons have trouble with their 'far away' road game @ Seattle?

Pat Yasinskas (1:28 PM)

Nope. You can pretty much bet Mike Smith has said something like, "Men, let's just go out there and take care of business and the next time we have to get on a plane will be to go to Dallas". Plus, it doesn't hurt that they are playing the Seahawks.

Steve (Coachella, CA)

Will a win in Seattle to cap off 3 straight road wins put an end to all the talk of Matt Ryan being a Dome Boy? Should it?

Pat Yasinskas (1:32 PM)

I've never bought into that. Matt had a pretty nice college career at Boston College and played in some less-than perfect weather. Has he lost at Philly and Pittsburgh this year? Yes, but I think that had more to do with the quality of the opponents than anything else.

Ian (WHO DAT NATION, LA)

I will be traveling to goto the Saints game vs Atlanta next week and I am wondering what I should expect 'heckling' wise from the fans. So, Dirty Bird fans tell me what I'm in for. (Hartley will hit the game winner this time.)

Pat Yasinskas (1:33 PM)

If you had left out the last part, I think you would have been pretty safe. From my observations, Atlanta fans are a pretty respectful lot. Come to think of it, it's that way throughout the NFC South. When you go into Philly and a few other places, that's when it's not always a good idea to wear team gear.

Rick (New Orleans)

The other day in a mailbag you made a comment saying Rex Ryan's name does not belong with Mike Smith, Bill Bellicheck or Sean Peyton, first neither Smith belong with Peyton or Bellicheck, second, what makes you say Ryan does not belong with Smith, tell me who has more playoff wins, that would be Ryan, in just one season, compared to two full seasons for Smith.

Pat Yasinskas (1:39 PM)

My personal opinion. I think Mike Smith is one of the best coaches in the league and I think over the next month or two, some other people will be joining me in that opinion.

Jeff (Huntsville)

Pat, If Ryan from New Orleans thinks Mike Smith doesn't belong in the same conversation with Bill Belicheck, then tell him to read what is linked. http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/atlanta-falcons-matt-ryan-nfl-similar-to-vintage-new-england-patriots-120710

Pat Yasinskas (1:52 PM)

You just told him. But I'll tell you this. Mike Smith already is an excellent coach and is going to be one for a very long time.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/36027/nfl-with-pat-yasinskas

Final Word: NFC South

December, 17, 2010 4:00PM By Pat Yasinskas

Turn down “The Burner." It sounds like there is a decent chance Atlanta running back Jason Snelling could return to play against Seattle after sitting out the last couple of games. If he does, that’s really good news for the Falcons. They’ve been riding starter Michael Turner very hard the last few weeks, and he has produced in outstanding fashion. The Falcons aren’t going to do anything to dramatically cut Turner’s carries because he’s such an important part of the offense. But they’d love nothing more than to give a few of those carries to Snelling, who is a quality backup. At the moment, Turner has 275 carries. He’s been getting around 25 carries a game recently. If you project it out at that rate, Turner’s on pace for 350 carries for the regular season. That number is a little higher than the Falcons would like, especially when you consider that more carries will be coming in the playoffs. I’m thinking the Falcons would like to chop Turner’s pace down to a point where he ends the regular season with somewhere around 330 carries.

NFC South Saturday mailbag

Dec 18 10:30AM Comments By Pat Yasinskas

Joe in Virginia asks about the chances of the Falcons pursuing Carolina receiver Steve Smith if he’s available.

Pat Yasinskas: First off, I found it highly interesting how the wired world seemed to go crazy on Friday when there was a report Smith’s Charlotte house was up for sale. Immediately, everyone assumed that meant Smith wants out of Carolina. Then, a couple hours later, the truth came out. Smith’s house has been on the market since back in the summer. I’m not sure exactly what the domestic plans are for Smith and his family. But I know in the past they have sold a house and moved to another one in the Charlotte area. People do that sometimes. As far as the Falcons pursuing Smith, presumably in a trade because the Panthers aren’t going to give him away, I see that scenario as very unlikely. I doubt the Panthers would trade Smith within the division because that could really hurt them. And I doubt the Falcons would pursue Smith. They’ve already got a true No. 1 wide receiver in Roddy White. People can knock No. 2 receiver Michael Jenkins all they want. But the people who make the decisions for the Falcons believe Jenkins has enormous value as a role player and a tremendously positive influence in the locker room. Team chemistry is one reason why the Falcons are succeeding this year. They’re not going to try to fix something that is not broken.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcsouth

Nice statements there. Particularly in the dismissal of the Falcons acquiring Smith. That would be silly.

If possible this week, I'd love to see Snelling and Gartrell get the bulk of the carries. I agree with the contributor that Turner has been ridden hard these last few weeks. I don't want Turner to finish the regular season with 350 carries, and 3 games left to play.

I love Pats answer take care of business and the next time we get on a plane is when we go to Dallas...Good stuff Pat I think you'll have every Falcon's fan in your corner with responses like that.

I also think dependent on this week and next week i believe alot of starters will be rested against Carolina.I'll even go as far as saying guys like Abe Lofton Turner Ryan and a few others will get a week off before the play-off run.

Edited by kiwifalcon

If possible this week, I'd love to see Snelling and Gartrell get the bulk of the carries. I agree with the contributor that Turner has been ridden hard these last few weeks. I don't want Turner to finish the regular season with 350 carries, and 3 games left to play.

Yep, hopefully the Falcons can cut some of Turner's carries during the final three games of the regular season, and get him fully ready for postseason play.

How is it even a question that Smitty is one of the best coaches in the leauge. he took a team that was in the worst shape of any franchise in history and has had three winning seasons in a row, and is poised for a deep playoff run. but even more so than that he has cultivated a culture of winning that this city has never experienced before. his team is in position to be very competive for years to come. the fact that people can even argue that he is not elite is boarding on insane.

Rick (New Orleans)

The other day in a mailbag you made a comment saying Rex Ryan's name does not belong with Mike Smith, Bill Bellicheck or Sean Peyton, first neither Smith belong with Peyton or Bellicheck, second, what makes you say Ryan does not belong with Smith, tell me who has more playoff wins, that would be Ryan, in just one season, compared to two full seasons for Smith.

Rick from New Orleans is a douchenozzle.

I love Pats answer take care of business and the next time we get on a plane is when we go to Dallas...Good stuff Pat I think you'll have every Falcon's fan in your corner with responses like that.

I also think dependent on this week and next week i believe alot of starters will be rested against Carolina.I'll even go as far as saying guys like Abe Lofton Turner Ryan and a few others will get a week off before the play-off run.

they get a rest if they secure the 1st or 2nd spot...I don't know, I never liked the, "clinch 1st spot, rest starters" mentality...go hard and stay in a rhythm...we're not used to resting starters in the last week, I'm sure that would affect them somehow.

The obsession that Aint fans have with the Falcons never ceases to amaze.

Yeah, right? They can't even accept that PY thinks their coach is one of the best in the league. They have to try to convince him that our coach isn't. I'm sure Pat was sitting there shaking his head as he replied to that lunacy...

As much as I think Matt is the real deal, and That TD has put together a great team since he's been here, the guy that makes this whole thing work is Smitty. I think if we had this same group of guys and TD at the top, take away Smith, and his mentality and demeanor, and we aren't nearly this good. I haven't felt this comfortable with the coaching of this team since Dan was here. Hopefully Smith will have the same success, +1 one win, of course!

Exactly why do we need to fix something that doesn't need fixing.If we go after anything surely it's a TE.

We will have to look at a TE this offseason probably, though I like Palmer alot. What we desperately need is a speed back out of the backfield who can hit the home run. Norwood needs to go. Also, I think the WR spot that will tell us alot the rest of this year and the post-season is Harry's spot. He's showing flashes lately, and I hope he gets his mojo back, but if not, that speed guy underneath is also a priority.

Having said that, I think our priority this offseason will be D-End, and a possible replacement for DeCoud. I like our corners alot, but they can be exposed if the pass rush isn't there. IMO, that monster rush is the one ingredient our D is missing to take it to the next level.

they get a rest if they secure the 1st or 2nd spot...I don't know, I never liked the, "clinch 1st spot, rest starters" mentality...go hard and stay in a rhythm...we're not used to resting starters in the last week, I'm sure that would affect them somehow.

The only reason I say this is for injury prevention the last thing we need is a key player injued in a nothing game v Carolina but like you say we have to get it done vs NO and Seattle.I think the Vets like Abe and with a heavy work load Turner has had all year and possibly Lofton aswell he has been carrying niggles all year could do with the rest.

We will have to look at a TE this offseason probably, though I like Palmer alot. What we desperately need is a speed back out of the backfield who can hit the home run. Norwood needs to go. Also, I think the WR spot that will tell us alot the rest of this year and the post-season is Harry's spot. He's showing flashes lately, and I hope he gets his mojo back, but if not, that speed guy underneath is also a priority.

Having said that, I think our priority this offseason will be D-End, and a possible replacement for DeCoud. I like our corners alot, but they can be exposed if the pass rush isn't there. IMO, that monster rush is the one ingredient our D is missing to take it to the next level.

Change of pace back yes we will be looking.I hope TG goes around once more but for TE is going to be the key position of need on the offense in the next couple of seasons WR well with White and Jenkins I think we are set,Douglas is getting back to 100% so I'm not to worried there.

I would lie DE soughted in FA most of these guys coming out take a couple of seasons to develop so I'd like us to sought the pass rush in FA.

Yeah, right? They can't even accept that PY thinks their coach is one of the best in the league. They have to try to convince him that our coach isn't. I'm sure Pat was sitting there shaking his head as he replied to that lunacy...

As much as I think Matt is the real deal, and That TD has put together a great team since he's been here, the guy that makes this whole thing work is Smitty. I think if we had this same group of guys and TD at the top, take away Smith, and his mentality and demeanor, and we aren't nearly this good. I haven't felt this comfortable with the coaching of this team since Dan was here. Hopefully Smith will have the same success, +1 one win, of course!

Good post!