who could we not succeed without on defense ?

dudouble

I started thinking earlier if someone were to go down in defense to injury, which player being out would hurt us the most? It's really hard to say. I think it would be lofton because he runs the defense , every other position has great depth and talent. What are some of your opinions ?

I thought about that, but I was thinking Brian Williams was a good starter for us last year till he got hurt. If drob or Grimes went down, I think him or Owens would do ok

Maybe Brian Williams I don't know about Owens though. Owens was pretty much abused in that Bengals game. But "hey" he was guarding TO and you have to get your feet wet at some point. I think Curtis Lofton would problem be a big let down for this Falcons defense if he didn't play. We still haven't proved, without Abe there's a pass rush besides Babs and that's rare.

Edited by The Birds are the truth

also let me add the coaching staff. i know this is gonna sound cheesey, but i think its very true. the one thing i think we are trying to mimic from the patriots is the ability to put in different pieces and still have a working puzzle, which imo is on the coaching staff.

How many coaching staffs get "injured"? A coach can become ill--- Dan Reeves with his heart, Heimerdinger with cancer, etc., etc., but really--- that is not an immediately realistic prospect. <knocks on wood>

I believe if Curtis went down Mikey P. could step into his role and do a good job.

We could easily say Dunta after watching what happened when he was out but I believe a guy that we need on D is William Moore. The guy brings a violent presence to the D and he has improved weekly. I dont think Coleman could come in and cover as well as Willy Mo.

I may be wrong about this but I dont see Willy Mo getting beat over the top and I didnt really see COleamn get beat over the top either but I also do not see Willy Mo getting beat 1 on 1 often and Coleman did.

I'd say Grimes or Abe. Maybe Babs. Lofton is a great MLB but Peterson has the experience and smarts to run the defense if needed. And Spoon and Nic could fill fine on the wings.

We have a lot of depth at LB and that is a good thing. Frankly, I think we should have sat Lofton last week against Carolina. His knees are messed up right now. It's no shame to take a break on what's gonna end up being a 23 game season (counting preseason).

This is going to sounds a little crazy... but I don't think we are 11-2 right now without Wiliam Moore. I think he has helped our defense out a lot.

Moore has been responsible for some of the big plays given up too. Especially in the run game. I think losing Abe or Dunta would have the greatest effect. Peterson could cover for Lofton without everything falling apart, but our pass rush and pass coverage would take a big hit without Abe or Dunta. Everyone is valuable, but I'm not sure if any losing one person would ruin things.

Babs. Dude is the most underhyped player on our team and our D would be garbage without him. Without him getting a good push up the middle they would be able to just double team Abe every play which would leave our secondary stuck trying to cover for 5+ seconds way to often.

abraham... he made almost every second sack for the team.

lofton could be replaced by peterson as the "defensive qb". mp is definately not as good as lofton, but the LBs wouldn't be as bad with nicholas, peterson and weatherspoon as the DEs pass rush with biermann, davis and anderson...