NFC South likely to face playoff injustice

hawkeye

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been arguing this topic for a couple days on saintsreport. The system does NOT need to be changed. The entire system is built on a team taking care of its business in its division and being rewarded for that. A quote of myself because I'm too lazy to type it again...

FYI: The first paragraph is in response to the idea of seeding the second and third rounds so the higher seed plays the team with the lowest record, something I'm on board with.

It's just logical within the parameters of the current system. The whole idea of having the #1 seed is that they are rewarded with the 'easiest' path. If that is the case, then the easiest path would naturally be the team with the lowest record of the surviving teams.

Reseeding in the opening round is nothing short of rewarding a team for not taking care of business in their division, something that fundamentally changes the nature of the playoffs. Wild cards exist to take into account that a few other teams might be having a playoff worthy season, but they are also punished for not taking care of business.

I'm of the opinion that any team can win or lose against any team in the playoffs. All records are 0-0 when it starts. I like the current system the way it is. If it changes, I'd much rather see a small tweaking of the seeding, as was posted, than to have it completely overhauled and ruined.

In response to the idea that a 13-3 team could miss the playoffs entirely or have to play against a .500 team who won its division in a hypothetical situation...

division could have two teams who are highly successful and two teams with 1-2 wins each. The division with the 9-7 winner could have all four teams with .500 records or thereabouts, all having played tougher schedules than the supposedly stronger division.

On paper, it looks like that 13-3 team got robbed, but in reality, the 9-7 team did tons more with their schedule than the 13 win team.

There are years where one division is weaker than others. It's the nature of sports. There is no way to regulate it out. Changing seeding in the opening round turns the NFL into the NHL, imo. Divisions mean nothing. Rivalries mean nothing. The entire landscape that makes the NFL and its playoff races so great will be altered to the point where no one will care about regular season matchups, divisional matchups or heated rivalries.

Leave it alone!

If you don't win your own division, you don't need to host against a division winner. If they change it...why do you need divisions at all? Just take the top 6 teams and throw out divisions winners all together. That would be ridiculous though.

As others have mentioned, the reward for winning your division is a playoff berth, which is fair...but denying them home field advantage just for winning a shiddy division will make them try and compete until the last game of the season for a better seeding.

There is if they want what every other team wants, a Superbowl. I still say you cant punish a team because they are in a bad division when they dont have control over what the other teams do. I am pretty sure most of you would be on the other side if the Falcons won the division with and 9-7 record and then had to travel to a 10-6 team because they changed the seeding. The fact still remains, win your division and you dont have to worry about traveling.

Negged for this? Really?

Also I have to ask would the media really bring this up if it wasnt affecting the NFC East or the Saints? I have heard analysts bring up the 2008 season but only mention the Chargers/Colts. They dont even bring it up that it happened to the Falcons. I think if it wasnt affecting the Saints or the NFC East the media wouldnt even bring it up.

Edited by DemDirtyBirds4

Can't we all just agree the current system is better than the BcS?

I think we can. I have to wonder why we cant have a disscussion, as Falcons fans, without a ton of negs. Havent seen a post in here that deserves a neg. I actually went through and fixed anyone who got negged. Really dont agree with negging when we all are Falcon fans, and the ones doing it need to grow a pair and reply to the thread, instead of hiding.

Edited by DemDirtyBirds4

I think we can. I have to wonder why we cant have a disscussion, as Falcons fans, without a ton of negs. Havent seen a post in here that deserves a neg. I actually went through and fixed anyone who got negged. Really dont agree with negging when we all are Falcon fans, and the ones doing it need to grow a pair and reply to the thread, instead of hiding.

I agree with you 100%. This doesn't even apply to us this year, and we're all Falcons fans. We should be civilized. I saw you got negged for no good reason, so I gave you a plus. This is just silly.

I've been arguing this topic for a couple days on saintsreport. The system does NOT need to be changed. The entire system is built on a team taking care of its business in its division and being rewarded for that. A quote of myself because I'm too lazy to type it again...

But in a really pathetic division you could lose most of your division games and still win the division so arguing that a team has "taken care of its division" is not valid. The Raiders have won all of their division games so far and they are 3rd in line and will probably miss out. The niners currently have the best record and they are also third in line.

Alternatively in a good division a team could win most or 4 or their division games and not take the division or get a home game. That is likely to happen this year in our division.

Keep in mind that we haven't clinched this division yet so there is still a chance (slim) that we could be the WC and travelling like we did in 2008.

As others have mentioned, the reward for winning your division is a playoff berth, which is fair...but denying them home field advantage just for winning a shiddy division will make them try and compete until the last game of the season for a better seeding.

I like the idea, as I posted earlier that winning your division gives you a playoff berth, but having a winning record while doing so gives you a home game. The only reason I don't like the current system, is a 7-9 team can get a home game against an 11 win team. IF you make it so the division winners are only given a home game if they have a winning record then an 8-8 or below division winner would have to travel to a WC team stadium if that team had a winning record. This rewards winning records and encourages teams in bad divisions to compete and get a winning record unlike what is happening in the NFC West, with likely 7-9 winner.

I would also like to add that if you are a 10+ and 11+ team, you should be able to go on the road and win a playoff game. If you can't do that, you don't deserve a shot at the Super Bowl. You're going to be traveling for that game anyway.

It is not a matter of just winning A playoff game. A 5th or 6th seed might have to win 3 on the road and then travel to the SB. That makes it harder for a team that has already worked harder.

It is a really simple concept really. To the winner go the spoils. If you have the better record as a WC than a division leader you have earned the right to bring at least one game home to your fans.

I like the idea, as I posted earlier that winning your division gives you a playoff berth, but having a winning record while doing so gives you a home game. The only reason I don't like the current system, is a 7-9 team can get a home game against an 11 win team. IF you make it so the division winners are only given a home game if they have a winning record then an 8-8 or below division winner would have to travel to a WC team stadium if that team had a winning record. This rewards winning records and encourages teams in bad divisions to compete and get a winning record unlike what is happening in the NFC West, with likely 7-9 winner.

Not a bad idea. You combine 2 of the ideas into one. Some of the ideas brought up would almost throw out the division format. Yours keeps the division format but gives more incentive to finish with a winning record. Also I do think that the winner of the West will be atleast 8-8.

Edited by DemDirtyBirds4

I would also like to add that if you are a 10+ and 11+ team, you should be able to go on the road and win a playoff game. If you can't do that, you don't deserve a shot at the Super Bowl. You're going to be traveling for that game anyway.

But why punish the better team by making them go on the road, and on the road for 3 straight games most likely. Using the same logic, the 7 or 8 win team should also be able to win on the road if they want to make it to the Super Bowl.

If the Saints and the Tampa Bays out there dont want to travel for a playoff game, they should win there damm division and not cry about it. There will always be "weak" divisions.

This is the right answer. Don't want to go on the road? Well then you shouldn't have lost all your games against the falcons. Don't lose to Arizona and Cleveland and you wouldn't have to worry about playing road games.

It is not a matter of just winning A playoff game. A 5th or 6th seed might have to win 3 on the road and then travel to the SB. That makes it harder for a team that has already worked harder.

It is a really simple concept really. To the winner go the spoils. If you have the better record as a WC than a division leader you have earned the right to bring at least one game home to your fans.

Then what's the point in conferences? I'm not trying to be an a@@, just seems like their is no point in winning your division if playoffs are based solely on record. Also, that kind of throws out strength of schedule. Is a 10-6 team more worthy of a home game than a 8-8 team if the 10-6 team only beat opponents with a losing record and the 8-8 team beat opponents who were 500 or above? I would say it takes more effort to beat 8 good teams than 10 bad teams.

This is the right answer. Don't want to go on the road? Well then you shouldn't have lost all your games against the falcons. Don't lose to Arizona and Cleveland and you wouldn't have to worry about playing road games.

But it's okay for Seattle to lose to Denver, St. Louis, Oakland, New York Giants, New Orleans, SF, KC and in the Ram's case Arizona, Oakland, Detroit, Tampa, New Orleans, SF, and Atlanta and still be able to host a playoff game?

But it's okay for Seattle to lose to Denver, St. Louis, Oakland, New York Giants, New Orleans, SF, KC and in the Ram's case Arizona, Oakland, Detroit, Tampa, New Orleans, SF, and Atlanta and still be able to host a playoff game?

If that's what it takes to win the division. Every team in the division plays essentially the same schedule. If you don't like going on the road, win your division.

I don't have a problem with the current system. The teams in a crappy division have no control that their division will be crappy. I feel if you win your division that you deserve to host a playoff game. Yeah it sucks to be 11-5 and have to travel to play a 7-9 or 8-8 team but life isn't fair.

I am pretty much 50-50 on whether or not I think the system should change, but this arguement makes no sense. How would a change penalize a team because it's division is crappy? A team would only be penalized vs the current system if they are a crappy team that happens to be the best in a division. A good team would still be advantaged as they are now by playing in a crappy division since they get to play crappy teams 6 times. Think San Diego feasting on the crappy AFC West for much of the aughts on their way to 12 or 13 wins. The fact that the winner of a division winner may be at or below .500 is doubly d-a-m-n-ing as it means they couldn't even win a respectable number of games against three other crappy teams.

My arguement for the current system isn't so much that I think division winners should be rewarded even if they stink, but more that wild cards should not be rewarded. I believe that the playoffs should be set up to maximize the likelihood that the best team wins the Super Bowl. I don't care about ranking 1 through 12. If a team was not the best in their division, they are not the best in the NFL, and the deck should be stacked against them. I have the same problem with the MLB watching Wild Card after Wild Card win the WS.

That said, my main problem with the current system is that it is not synched up with the draft. I didn't really mind that we had to travel to Arizona when we won two more games, but what really got me going was the fact that if they hadn't gone to the Super Bowl, they would have picked in front of us in the draft. That is BS. There is no way to bring the seeding into the draft and mesh teams in different conferences unless the seeding is based purely on record.

The division games become that much more important with the current playoff schedule. Does it suck when one division is terrible? Yes. This isn't the first time this has happened either.

Regardless, the division is the best way into the playoffs. If a team can't win their division then they should consider themselves lucky to still be in the chase.