Your take on the CBA negotiations?

Big Bubba

Owners main thing at the moment is they want an 18 game regular season. Players union don't want an 18 game reg season and they want lifelong medical care.

Important thing to me is, every major city that hosts an NFL team is set to lose around 140 million in revenue if there is no football in 2011. That is huge.

Do you believe it'll get settled before the deadline or do you believe there will be a strike/lockout?

i think they will get a deal done because they have to remember what happened to baseball after their strike. the public resented them so much that it has taken a long time for attendance to recover

footballs different than baseball,because football is king in the sports world...i think they will get a deal done,but i dont like the 18 game schedule for many reasons...mainly it will shorten the players careers(as if it isnt short enough)and the injuries will dbl,especially with the concussions...its not up to me though...i just want to see some football in 2010-2011,and the rookies stop making 5 times more than vets before they even play a down :angry:

Imo, an 18 game season wouldn't be too bad if they did away with two of the preseason games and then added another bye week in there somewhere.

I think the lifelong medical is a little too much though. Maybe they can add a clause in there along the lines of "If a player doesn't gross a total of $10m during his career, then he's eligible for lifelong medical". You know?

The fans are getting the worst part of it all, it seems.

Millionaires vs Billionaires.

Edited by 08NFCSChamps

Sadly, I can see it coming down to a lockout.

Richardson is one of the owners leading the negotiations. You can look at his team and see what he expects the outcome to be. He has dumped everything remotely similar to a bad contract and 99% of the older players. He has prepared his franchise for a lockout.

I read that Roger Goodell expects there to be an agreement before Super Bowl XLV.

If there is not, I think it will impact the direction the Saints and Falcons are headed in. I think a year without football would affect some of the things both of these franchises have going and could possibly even the playing field just a little bit more for 2012.

Sadly, I can see it coming down to a lockout.

Richardson is one of the owners leading the negotiations. You can look at his team and see what he expects the outcome to be. He has dumped everything remotely similar to a bad contract and 99% of the older players. He has prepared his franchise for a lockout.

Yep, that's the problem. Remember, the owners ultimately aren't that worried about the amount of revenue that their cities will lose. Just them and their teams. The 18 game schedule is completely criminal, especially with the amount of controversy surrounding players' health after they retire. An extra two bye weeks would be the only way to mitigate those damages, and healthcare should be proportionally increased. But the NFL is going to paint itself into a bad corner if they screw this up and people start to blame them more and more for the damage to retired players.

Guest jb aka johnnybuc

I88, that would affect everything and everyone. You can't just turn it on and off like a faucet. I really think they get it worked out and I as a fan want the 18 games and would fore go the two preseason games.

I agree with the 2 game preseason but that's it. I don't think people realize what an 18 game schedule is going to do to the players physically. Those extra 2 games are going to be played with REAL bullets that means even more injuries. These guys are tremendous athletes but they're not bionic. All it's going to do is water down the play. Do you as a fan REALLY want that? Look back to the way the game was played 40 years ago when it was only a 12 & 14 game schedule. They beat the living $hit out of one another and were able to get out there and play most every week (condolences to Darryl Stingley's family).

I guess I'm getting old and the older I get the less I like change. Not a good combination! B)

I believe they're going to get it done before March and there'll be no work stoppage but I guarantee you younger guys are going to look back in the not too distant future, sigh and say remember how great the 16 game schedule was?

Roger Goodell is destroying the game in my opinion. The reason he doesn't want anybody hitting or tackling hard is to keep players healthy so he can help the owners soak a few more billion dollars out of them.

This is NOT the same NFL Pete Rozelle turned into a multi-billion dollar enterprise!

An excerpt from his Academy of Achievement page:

"In his lifetime, Pete Rozelle's contribution to the growth of the NFL went nearly unnoticed in a milieu crowded with outsized personalities, but with the passing of the years, it has become more and more apparent that he did more than anyone to develop professional football into the powerful force in American popular culture that we know today. In 2000, Time magazine named him one of the 100 most important people of the 20th century."

Will anything like this ever be said about Goodell? I doubt it!

Pete Rozelle Acadamy of Achievment

I agree with the 2 game preseason but that's it. I don't think people realize what an 18 game schedule is going to do to the players physically. Those extra 2 games are going to be played with REAL bullets that means even more injuries. These guys are tremendous athletes but they're not bionic. All it's going to do is water down the play. Do you as a fan REALLY want that? Look back to the way the game was played 40 years ago when it was only a 12 & 14 game schedule. They beat the living $hit out of one another and were able to get out there and play most every week (condolences to Darryl Stingley's family).

I guess I'm getting old and the older I get the less I like change. Not a good combination! B)

I believe they're going to get it done before March and there'll be no work stoppage but I guarantee you younger guys are going to look back in the not too distant future, sigh and say remember how great the 16 game schedule was?

Roger Goodell is destroying the game in my opinion. The reason he doesn't want anybody hitting or tackling hard is to keep players healthy so he can help the owners soak a few more billion dollars out of them.

This is NOT the same NFL Pete Rozelle turned into a multi-billion dollar enterprise!

An excerpt from his Academy of Achievement page:

"In his lifetime, Pete Rozelle's contribution to the growth of the NFL went nearly unnoticed in a milieu crowded with outsized personalities, but with the passing of the years, it has become more and more apparent that he did more than anyone to develop professional football into the powerful force in American popular culture that we know today. In 2000, Time magazine named him one of the 100 most important people of the 20th century."

Will anything like this ever be said about Goodell? I doubt it!

I DON'T KNOW Jb ... I JUST DON'T KNOW? :(

I am going to enjoy the rest of the season as if there is not a dark cloud looming over the entire NFL. But it stays in the back of my mind because 18% of the profit is not some minor detail. The players want more, the owners want to give less and it don't look like either side is going to settle for anything less than exactly what they want.