Retractable Roof

RHEC

Why would somebody want a retractable roof? Why not just play outdoors or just continue to play indoors? retractable roof imo are ugly and stupid.

A retractable roof gives the facility owner far more options with events where the weather is a factor in granting said facility with said event. It is unwise (stupid) to build a 1 dimensional facility in this day and age when you have the technology to make more revenue with the updated design. Also, I don't know what retractable stadiums you have seen, but all the new ones with retractable roofs are outstanding in their appearance and function.

Modern retractable stadium look pretty much like non-retractable stadiums. They are similar to how hard top convertibles look like hard top coupes. Cowboys stadium is a good example.

As said, retractable stadiums have greater utility. In the Falcon's situation think about it this way -- if the State finances it either via tax or bonds or both do you want an open air stadium sitting idle for 8 months out of the year or would you rather continuing going to Dome games in Sept/Oct when it's nice out so that GWCC can continue to rent it out year round when the Falcons are not playing? W/o a dome ATL would lose any opportunity to host big events like Final Four and likely would lose SEC championship game, not to mention large conventions that use the Dome floor as show space.

Edited by falfan68

I am glad that this was brought up again.

The retractable roof is the most desirable of any stadium.

The Drawback is the cost of the retractable roof.

The Philadelphia Eagles new Stadium is designed with an enormous

array of Solar Panel grids.

When this new stadium is not in use the Solar Panels continue to produce power

which feeds back into the Power Grid and the power company has to (by law)

buy or pay for the power that is produced.

With a new retractable roof dome and solar panels that cover 80 % of the dome.

the facility would produce revenues by just sitting there doing nothing.

How Smart is that?

Put me on the Design Committee and I guarantee you that we have the best looking and functional retractable roof stadium in the world.

Having a small little part of a roof move is stupid, it would be something else if the whole roof moved. A roof like the cards and even cowboys, that's just flat out ugly and stupid.

I would be embarrassed to have a stadium like that.

There is nothing small about the roofs on either of those facilities, and I and most others think they are very dynamic in appearance. I've seen the Cowboys place from a distance and it is very impressive. I can only imagine what it is like inside.

Modern retractable stadium look pretty much like non-retractable stadiums. They are similar to how hard top convertibles look like hard top coupes. Cowboys stadium is a good example.

As said, retractable stadiums have greater utility. In the Falcon's situation think about it this way -- if the State finances it either via tax or bonds or both do you want an open air stadium sitting idle for 8 months out of the year or would you rather continuing going to Dome games in Sept/Oct when it's nice out so that GWCC can continue to rent it out year round when the Falcons are not playing? W/o a dome ATL would lose any opportunity to host big events like Final Four and likely would lose SEC championship game, not to mention large conventions that use the Dome floor as show space.

September-October when its nice out????? September is hot until later in the month. Retractable roof is the only way. I sat at Fulton Co, stadium since 1966. I froze, sweated, got sunburned, etc. No more open air stadiums. If I am going to spend $100 a ticket, I want comforts. Atlanta has ideal weather about 1 week a year before the seasons suddenly change. If the people in the northern cities had their choice, they'd move their games indoors. They just don't know any better.

There is nothing small about the roofs on either of those facilities, and I and most others think they are very dynamic in appearance. I've seen the Cowboys place from a distance and it is very impressive. I can only imagine what it is like inside.

I've been in the stadium and have to say it is one of the most amazing stadiums ever created, and that's without the attraction of staring at that huge TV above you. I think the retractable roof is great and provides more opportunities for the city.

Seriously retractable roofs just cost to much. Build a new dome or do the massive upgrades that they proposed before but for the love of god do not build an open air stadium. We don't have a die hard fan base like Green Bay or Chicago when it get's cold out they'll be lucky to get the stadium halfway full. People are just going to go for the HDTV in the comfort of their own living room and who can blame them.