The media once liked the Falcons

fansince78

If it is any consolation to you folks, the media was very kind to the Atlanta Falcons once. After the 1998 season everyone and their brother was picking the Falcons to go all the way the following year. That entire off season, anytime they showed clips of an NFC team they someone would say something like, yeah, but are they good enough to beat the Falcons? They literally crowned the 99 Falcons NFC champions right after the Superbowl loss. As you all know, the 99 Falcons fell flat and no one really could put their finger on why. I tend to believe that it was a lack of team mentality, but that is just my opinion.

We can do without hearing that our team is the best. I'd much rather see it from the team than hear it from ESPN.

They felt flat cause Jamal Anderson blew his knee, Reeves traded our 2nd round pick to pick up Reggie kelley ( complete bust) and we lost one of our wideouts (cant remember his name, Martin I believe).

Not too worried about the fartmouths at ESPN CBS and FOX---I do care about wins and loses though. They will have to cover us and throw out major respect if we get homefield advantage

They felt flat cause Jamal Anderson blew his knee, Reeves traded our 2nd round pick to pick up Reggie kelley ( complete bust) and we lost one of our wideouts (cant remember his name, Martin I believe).

Okay, let me ask you this...If Turner blows his knee out and Jenkins (I picked him because Mathis was our #1 in 98) is traded, do you think the Falcons will suck next season?

If it is any consultation to you folks, the media was very kind to the Atlanta Falcons once. After the 1998 season everyone and their brother was picking the Falcons to go all the way the following year. That entire off season, anytime they showed clips of an NFC team they someone would say something like, yeah, but are they good enough to beat the Falcons? They literally crowned the 99 Falcons NFC champions right after the Superbowl loss. As you all know, the 99 Falcons fell flat and no one really could put their finger on why. I tend to believe that it was a lack of team mentality, but that is just my opinion.

We can do without hearing that our team is the best. I'd much rather see it from the team than hear it from ESPN.

consultation? really?

have you read any books since 1978? the correct word, of course, is "consolation".

holy jeebus, I swear, it's like I'm the only person who (#*%(*^ reads.

The Falcons also used to get a ton of air time on ESPN... Or should I say Vick used to get a ton of airtime on ESPN, he just happened to be wearing a Falcons jersey.

Sports media has become more about "personalities" than about reporting on actual sports. We should be glad we don't have any divas to frequent the national media's attention... Or a poor welfare state that is incapable of taking care of itself devistated by a natural disaster thereby granting us the pity of the media.

I personally don't the media's pity, and I certainly don't want members of our team acting like fools just to get attention.

You got me. Just goes to show that you have to read carefully when using a spell check.

Who the he11 really cares about spelling on a fan message board? It's one thing to have bad grammar to a point where you sound like a ******, it's another to misspell a few words or screw up puncuation.

I have a pretty good edumucaction myself, but really even proof reading a post is a bit much for a fan based message board. No one is going to win a Pulitzer here.

Who the he11 really cares about spelling on a fan message board? It's one thing to have bad grammar to a point where you sound like a ******, it's another to misspell a few words or screw up puncuation.

I have a pretty good edumucaction myself, but really even proof reading a post is a bit much for a fan based message board. No one is going to win a Pulitzer here.

Dang... And here I was thinking of putting some of my wittier replies into a portfolio for publication in hopes of getting nominated for an award. Way to step on my dreams, Billy "Buzzkill" Baldwin.

Correct spelling and grammar should always be applied, regardless of the forum/arena in which you're communicating. Why should it matter that it's on a message board? Do you mean to tell me that because it's indeed a message board, that correct grammar and spelling (even the correct use of terms and phrases) isn't important?

Don't ever forget---and this is in general, I understand that the OP was subject to the not so accurate contextual understanding of auto-correct---that whether it's a message board, a family gathering, or a meeting with a potential employer, that you putting your best foot forward and always representing yourself to the best of your ability, is important. Impressions matter, and not just in the boardroom.

Correct spelling and grammar should always be applied, regardless of the forum/arena in which you're communicating. Why should it matter that it's on a message board? Do you mean to tell me that because it's indeed a message board, that correct grammar and spelling (even the correct use of terms and phrases) isn't important?

Don't ever forget---and this is in general, I understand that the OP was subject to the not so accurate contextual understanding of auto-correct---that whether it's a message board, a family gathering, or a meeting with a potential employer, that you putting your best foot forward and always representing yourself to the best of your ability, is important. Impressions matter, and not just in the boardroom.

Impressions do matter, and you are giving off the impression of a smug *****.

Heavy sigh. I'm not implying that good communication, including grammar and punctuation, are not important in this world. I'm in no way implying that one of the most important first impressions that someone can give is how they communicate. Especially, when trying to make a point or be taken seriously.

What I am trying to say is that most of us check the boards and see something that interests us enough to reply, but we are not going to put a huge amount of effort in writing a response or critically thinking about what we are writing. I have written several highly technical articles for peer review journals and I make basic grammatical and punctuation errors all the time. I have been a co-author in a couple of books with high paid editors that miss errors. It happens. If someone wants to call me stupid, that's fine. I really don't care, and won't care, about what they have to say until they can carry on an intelligent conversation about something meaningful like the quantum effect of hydrogen bonding in aliphatic versus aromatic compounds. When someone can do this and then tell me my grammar is bad, I might listen.... Maybe.

All I'm saying is no one takes a posting on this board that serious. To sound like an idiot is one thing. To misspell a word or two is another...

Also, realize I'm being a smart azz and giving you a hard time... Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Well, until I give them a new one :-)

D-O-U-C-H-E. Is that spelled right?

I get what your saying, but really? I think you are going a little overboard. Respond to his post, rather than a stupid spelling mistake. Who cares, really?

I appreciate that you guys went to bat for me here on that typo, but if someone wants to measure intelligence on whether someone clicks on an auto complete and posts the wrong word, I am guilty. You never know who is on the board and that poster is probably studying or has studied journalism. He might even be Skip Bayless...LOL.