Cliff Lee to sign with the Phillies

Threepac Daddy

phillies are tryin to be like the **** yanks

well except their plan is much more productive... that pitching staff is unreal... the yanks threw money at whatever big name pitcher was available (AJ Burnett)... the Phillies have 4 pitchers who have the ability to win 20 games each, with well over 200 innings apiece... i just hope Lee gets old in a hurry!

Guest AtlWhite84

Unreal. There staff will be sick.

Holliday

Lee

Hamel

Oswalt

Blanton

Taking a wild shot in the dark and assuming you meant Halladay.

Baseball is ridiculous and I think this move will finally kill my love for it.

This likely secured the Phils another division championship. I hate to say that. Braves need to get Uggla signed to a long term deal and take their next step forward. Phils are spending money where they got beat this past season, pitching.

This year is going to be a ***** playing the Phils.

Games still have to be played.

The Uggla deal put Atlanta and Philly on even ground for 2011, at least on paper. This tilts the division back to Philly, but not so much that they're locks to win it again.

As for locking Uggla up long-term... depends on what the deal is. If he wants a six-year deal, it'd be better to let him walk.

Games still have to be played.

The Uggla deal put Atlanta and Philly on even ground for 2011, at least on paper. This tilts the division back to Philly, but not so much that they're locks to win it again.

As for locking Uggla up long-term... depends on what the deal is. If he wants a six-year deal, it'd be better to let him walk.

well you have to admit they are going to be the NL favorites... They have ridiculous pitching, when Roy Oswalt is your 4th starter you know you've struck gold. They still have Rollins, Utley, and Howard so their lineup is still going to have some punch. Their OF is going to be suspect power-wise but will be fast as any other in the NL. Who knows how it'll play out but it's a good move by the Phils.

well you have to admit they are going to be the NL favorites...

Oh, definitely.

That said, unless more steps are taken, they do have some holes on offense, and their bullpen has slipped badly since 2009. It's the Phillies' division to lose, but it can be lost.

Oh, definitely.

That said, unless more steps are taken, they do have some holes on offense, and their bullpen has slipped badly since 2009. It's the Phillies' division to lose, but it can be lost.

That bullpen is still going to be a question mark for them, but I guess they can have their pitchers go 7-8 innings a game now.

I dont think the Phillies are the NL favorite with this move. They are World Series favorite as of now. It absolutely sickens me. I wish we had the balls to go after free agents like that. Phillies weren't even in the discussion, and then BOOM! they get him. We don't need pitching, but **** how awesome would it have been had we gone out there and swiped away Crawford from everyone else? Those are the types of moves that absolutely shock your fan base and get them intrigued. smh...I love what we have done, but the Phillies are just sickening.

Interesting development. Amaro said last year that he can't pay both Halladay and Lee, then late in the year takes on Roy Oswalt's contract. Now he has added Lee and the accompanying boost in luxury tax. Where is the money coming from?

Halladay and now Lee have signed below-market contracts. That helps. Also, it's clear that they've decided to bump up their payroll in the meantime.

They also have Rollins, Ibanez, Lidge, and Oswalt on expiring contracts. They may think that this is THE year to get another ring, so pay big now and shed salary next season.

Halladay and now Lee have signed below-market contracts. That helps. Also, it's clear that they've decided to bump up their payroll in the meantime.

They also have Rollins, Ibanez, Lidge, and Oswalt on expiring contracts. They may think that this is THE year to get another ring, so pay big now and shed salary next season.

Lee would have been cheaper to extend a year ago and the Phils are paying more per year over the shorter life of the 5 year contract

Lee would have been cheaper to extend a year ago and the Phils are paying more per year over the shorter life of the 5 year contract

Lee would have cost around the same amount to extend if not more a year ago. This is about as team friendly of a contact you are going to sign an Ace pitcher to as you can get, and they didn't have to give him 6 or 7 years to get it done. It may be more per year, but that $1-2m is negligible.