December, 12, 2010

Dec 12

11:50

PM ET

* Email

* Print

* Comments

By Pat Yasinskas

The Philadelphia Eagles just defeated the Dallas Cowboys and that’s wonderful news for the Atlanta Falcons.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Falcons just clinched a spot in the NFC playoffs. With the Falcons at 11-2 after Sunday’s victory at Carolina, Philadelphia’s victory pushed the Falcons into a playoff berth. Even if the Eagles had lost, the Falcons still could have clinched a spot Monday night.

That would have come if the New York Giants beat the Minnesota Vikings on Monday. But that’s now a moot point.

The Falcons also lead the race for the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs. I’ll have more on the playoff picture for NFC South teams on Monday morning. But I’ll give you a little hint. Right now, the Falcons would be in as the top seed and the 10-3 New Orleans Saints would be the No. 5 seed. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-5) would not be in if the season ended today. But they’re very much in the picture.

At 8-5, the Bucs currently stand as the No. 7 team in a playoff scenario in which six teams will go to the postseason.

Per Pat YPer Pat Y

Falcons just clinched playoff berth

December, 12, 2010

Dec 12

11:50

PM ET

* Email

* Print

* Comments

By Pat Yasinskas

The Philadelphia Eagles just defeated the Dallas Cowboys and that’s wonderful news for the Atlanta Falcons.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Falcons just clinched a spot in the NFC playoffs. With the Falcons at 11-2 after Sunday’s victory at Carolina, Philadelphia’s victory pushed the Falcons into a playoff berth. Even if the Eagles had lost, the Falcons still could have clinched a spot Monday night.

That would have come if the New York Giants beat the Minnesota Vikings on Monday. But that’s now a moot point.

The Falcons also lead the race for the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs. I’ll have more on the playoff picture for NFC South teams on Monday morning. But I’ll give you a little hint. Right now, the Falcons would be in as the top seed and the 10-3 New Orleans Saints would be the No. 5 seed. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-5) would not be in if the season ended today. But they’re very much in the picture.

At 8-5, the Bucs currently stand as the No. 7 team in a playoff scenario in which six teams will go to the postseason.

LOL...that is funny stuff.

Apparently he just retracted it.

My link

Falcons close, but no clinch yet

December, 12, 2010

Dec 12

11:59

PM ET

* Email

* Print

* Comments

By Pat Yasinskas

The Atlanta Falcons are 11-2, but have yet to clinch a playoff berth, despite a close call Sunday night.

The Falcons could have clinched if the Dallas Cowboys defeated the Philadelphia Eagles in Sunday night’s game. It didn’t happen as the Eagles won. But Atlanta still could clinch a playoff berth Monday night if the New York Giants lose to the Minnesota Vikings, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

Tags:

Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, NFC South, playoff scenarios, playoff picture

Wrong there are barely any scenarios. Honestly, I can't find one. So I can't figure out how we haven't clinched.

Exactly 1 scenario:

Atl, GB, Philly, and NY win 11.

Chicago wins 11+

NO wins 12+

Based on who plays who, if this were to happen, NO wins South, Chicago wins North, NY wins East. 3-way tie between Atl, GB, and Philly would come down to Strength of Victory.