Again the third quarter killed us

Without looking at the stats I believe we had kept the panties to around 35 yards total offense in the first half. With about 50 of that on the ground and they were something like -20 passing. They had not crossed their own 40 and I think the longest play was 8 yards. Then half time and the third quarter.

I don't know what happened. I would not expect to hold a professional team down the entire game, but caroline almost had 200 yards rushing, in one quarter including several 10+ yard rushes.

I don't think what they did in the third was indicitive of our overall run defense. It looked like we started to blitz a lot more in the 3rd quarter. What ever it was it appears that the third quarter is a problem for us.

Matt also did not look good in the third. He started out hot, but mid second quarter it looked like Ryan took a stupid pill or something. I wonder if that wack he took trying to run it in did something.

Don't know. It's great to be 11 - 2 and in sole first place in the NFC, but I can totally see when Smitty is coming from when he says we have to be more consistent the entire game. A really good team, like the ones we will be playing in the playoffs, will exploit that weakness. Hopefully we can have everything clicking in three more weeks.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thi9s is the most apprehension and complaints I have ever seen about a 31 to ten domination of a team. Its almost silly.'

Umm, not complaining and if you think I am then you must be a bandwagon fan. Pretty sure I asked a question. Pretty sure I stated what the head coach stated. Pretty sure I stated what the starting QB said in his after game statement.

Umm, not complaining and if you think I am then you must be a bandwagon fan. Pretty sure I asked a question. Pretty sure I stated what the head coach stated. Pretty sure I stated what the starting QB said in his after game statement.

Uh. . I've been on the board a good long while and a pre vick fan and team fan since 86, first year I moved down here as a kid, so. . .

Uh. . I've been on the board a good long while and a pre vick fan and team fan since 86, first year I moved down here as a kid, so. . .

Hey, that's great. So, what do you think happened in the third quarter? Do you think it was because we were trying new looks and walking our LB's up to try and confuse the panties QB, or did Carolina adjust to something.

If they did adjust what do you think they did. I saw a lot of traps being run where our OLB was getting kicked out, but nothing that would make me think they were doing anything special. I didnt see one Dlinemen who was getting consistently beat. In fact it looked like we were getting good penetration. Do you think this penetration was possible a cause of the big runs? They didnt appear to be running veers or counter plays.

So???

Hey, that's great. So, what do you think happened in the third quarter? Do you think it was because we were trying new looks and walking our LB's up to try and confuse the panties QB, or did Carolina adjust to something.

If they did adjust what do you think they did. I saw a lot of traps being run where our OLB was getting kicked out, but nothing that would make me think they were doing anything special. I didnt see one Dlinemen who was getting consistently beat. In fact it looked like we were getting good penetration. Do you think this penetration was possible a cause of the big runs? They didnt appear to be running veers or counter plays.

So???

I honestly think it was just a freak set of plays that happened and that its not particularly indicative of anything special.

You dared to not immediately agree with him.

A bandwagon fan - (noun - in the possive) a persion who begins to like a team for the simple fact that they are winning, or who cannot handle any critism because their team wins. Someone who will blindly follow a team or person just because. To ignore the obvious.... Like we gave up 150+ yards rushing in less than 15 minutes.

So???

Are you one of those fans who thinks every play should be a touchdown and on defense it should be an int or turnover?

A bandwagon fan - (noun - in the possive) a persion who begins to like a team for the simple fact that they are winning, or who cannot handle any critism because their team wins. Someone who will blindly follow a team or person just because. To ignore the obvious.... Like we gave up 150+ yards rushing in less than 15 minutes.

. . . .Well, thats an interesting set of EXTRA things you added onto that definition that are not, in fact, even part of it.

Anyone who claims they are a "fan" of a particular sports team, even though they had no prior support for/interest in the team until that team started winning. These types of fans only show playoff interest, have probably never watched a regular season game, don't own any type of team merchandise, nor would they buy any.

Would be accurate as a definition. Albeit not as convenient for you. If I have been a fan since 86 its pretty much a GIVEN I can't just be in it because they were winning.

I assume Carolina made some half-time adjustments. I'm also imagining we saw a little bit of the habit we have of not hammering teams when they are down. I think it might be a by product of our even keel mindset.

I also think we were trying some different things. Some of our D formations looked odd to me at times in the 2nd half.

Edited by Geneaut

Are you one of those fans who thinks every play should be a touchdown and on defense it should be an int or turnover?

My man, you can't deny it as an issue. Watch the Bengals game for example, when we got scorched in the third. That stepping on the throat mentality is lacking...not to undermine any half time adjustments opposing teams might make. We certainly won't be as complacent come playoffs. Smitty won't let that happen.

Edited by revo3

No, I'm the type of fan who deconstructs each play and trys to figure out why it was good or bad. We went from only giving up 50 yards of rushing and 30 or so total yards over 30 minutes to giving up 150+ rushing yards in 15 minutes. I would like to know why. I didnt appear that we did much other than push our LB's and blitz more. I could understand 1 or 2 big runs if we got beat in a certain situation but not give up run after run. Carolina has a good defense when healthy, but they werent healthy. I don't know why we got beat on a series of plays. I havent watched the replay.

I was suprised by some of the decisions Ryan made after the first. Not that expected every pass to be a TD or even a completion, but,,,, how often does Matty hold on to the ball to get sacked three times by a depleted defense. I saw Smitty as him on the sideline when we called TO after the hit he took if he was okay.

No, I'm the type of fan who deconstructs each play and trys to figure out why it was good or bad. We went from only giving up 50 yards of rushing and 30 or so total yards over 30 minutes to giving up 150+ rushing yards in 15 minutes. I would like to know why. I didnt appear that we did much other than push our LB's and blitz more. I could understand 1 or 2 big runs if we got beat in a certain situation but not give up run after run. Carolina has a good defense when healthy, but they werent healthy. I don't know why we got beat on a series of plays. I havent watched the replay.

I was suprised by some of the decisions Ryan made after the first. Not that expected every pass to be a TD or even a completion, but,,,, how often does Matty hold on to the ball to get sacked three times by a depleted defense. I saw Smitty as him on the sideline when we called TO after the hit he took if he was okay.

Now, if we could also see you dissect something and call it good, well. . .