Putting Deion in the ROH

GTFalcon25

When it was announced that Deion Sanders was being inducted into the Falcons Ring of Honor, there was a lot of mixed emotions about it (especially on this board). Some people said he "betrayed" us by some of the things he said after he left Atlanta. Others simply thought he didn't accomplish enough while he was here to warrant that kind of recognition.

Here's what has come from this move:

Deion has become one of our biggest advocates. Every time he speaks of our franchise he praises us. He insists to his colleagues that Arthur Blank is a classy, dedicated, motivated, and otherwise ideal owner (not that anyone would doubt that). He just said on NFL network that he's "riding the Falcons all the way..."

Here's why:

Now that the Falcons are the class of the league (or at least tied for the best), we hang his name in our stadium. We didn't do the whole look-at-us-now routine and try to rub our success in his face. His name is now on a banner in the best team's stadium. He genuinely appreciates that.

In conclusion, all of you out there who fawn for more media attention should take note. We've got some guys on TV who are going to bat (BTW, Tom Jackson on ESPN really did some work, too).

Nah, we rewarded him for doing that.

Only thing I'll say about this.

Learn your Falcon's history. Look at what he did for our franchise on and off the field. He was only here 5 years but did more for our franchise than Tuggle (love him by the way). No one was watching us. No one was paying to see us. Deion put us on the map in a big way and we haven't really fallen off since then. Before then, NO ONE knew who we were. He was flashy. He was arrogant. He was everything everyone says he was...does that exclude him from the ROH?

ROH is for people that make a significant contribution to the Falcon's organization. To say he didn't is ignorance.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Oh Yeah ?

On the NFLN tonight Rich Eisen was reviewing our game and mentioned Matt Ryan as potential MVP, and Deion told him

STOP.

Not once but TWICE.

Pretty smart move huh ? :wacko:

You guys got me goin.

Matt Ryan is a very good QB. Deion wouldn't argue that.

Matt Ryan compared to a small handful of others in the League is not the MVP. I love Ryan and love my Falcons, but Ryan is not number one on the MVP list. He's up there and should be in the discussion, but I can see why Deion doesn't think he should be mentioned with Brees (as much as we hate it, but he'll get more votes because he's Brees), Rodgers, Brady, and even Rivers. And that's just the QB's.

I'm not arguing Ryan can't stack up with these I've mentioned, but I can see how someone COULD argue Ryan is 4 or 5 or 6 on the list of just QB's.

I guess that I just have such tunnel vision when it comes to the Falcons (just keep on winning boys)...

I just don't care that much one way or another.

Only thing I'll say about this.

Learn your Falcon's history. Look at what he did for our franchise on and off the field. He was only here 5 years but did more for our franchise than Tuggle (love him by the way). No one was watching us. No one was paying to see us. Deion put us on the map in a big way and we haven't really fallen off since then. Before then, NO ONE knew who we were. He was flashy. He was arrogant. He was everything everyone says he was...does that exclude him from the ROH?

ROH is for people that make a significant contribution to the Falcon's organization. To say he didn't is ignorance.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Learn your history right back. Tuggle led the league in tackles for the entire 90's decade. He wasn't making "Must be the money" videos and making a fool of himself. He was one of the guys on defense that got us to the Super Bowl.

Deion also played in 1991: A good year to be an Atlanta fan. Braves went to the WS and the Falcons beat the Saints to advance to the divisional playoffs (got destroyed by Rypien/Washington). There were a lot of people in the seats that year. They were there to see the Falcons beat the Saints, not a primetime dance. The games in which we pitched back INT's to him for a good return were exciting, but getting to the NFCCG was way more important (for me anyway).

2 Legit 2 Quit Hammer era was overrated.<---- had to say that

And we fell off "the map" in 1999. "The House that Deion built" was empty due to bad teams fielded, not because he left.

Your opinion of Deion is fine. Having an opinion on my Falcons history knowledge is suspect.

You guys got me goin.

Matt Ryan compared to a small handful of others in the League is not the MVP. I love Ryan and love my Falcons, but Ryan is not number one on the MVP list. He's up there and should be in the discussion, but I can see why Deion doesn't think he should be mentioned with Brees (as much as we hate it, but he'll get more votes because he's Brees), Rodgers, Brady, and even Rivers. And that's just the QB's.

I'm not arguing Ryan can't stack up with these I've mentioned, but I can see how someone COULD argue Ryan is 4 or 5 or 6 on the list of just QB's.

I do not feel that Ryan on the MVP short list either,, but

for Deion to start mouthing off the way he did was ugly,

and the guy is a hater pure and simple.

You guys sound like bitter ex-girlfriends.

The point I wanted to make with this thread is that we have a classy organization. When you operate like that, people gravitate toward you.

Deion wasn't a perfect Falcon, and has since said some things that are a bit polarizing. As far as the MVP comment goes, I heard that... And in no way did it bother me. Matt Ryan is not the MVP. Brady is quantifiably better than Matt. And that's fine with me, so long as we keep winning.

All I was trying to say is that we're better than that. We honored a guy who may or may not have deserved it. Because we're better than that. We took the high road, and now we look like the classiest franchise in the country.

You guys sound like bitter ex-girlfriends.

The point I wanted to make with this thread is that we have a classy organization. When you operate like that, people gravitate toward you.

Deion wasn't a perfect Falcon, and has since said some things that are a bit polarizing. As far as the MVP comment goes, I heard that... And in no way did it bother me. Matt Ryan is not the MVP. Brady is quantifiably better than Matt. And that's fine with me, so long as we keep winning.

All I was trying to say is that we're better than that. We honored a guy who may or may not have deserved it. Because we're better than that. We took the high road, and now we look like the classiest franchise in the country.

HE DIDN'T AND HE RUINED IT FOR ALL THE ONES THAT DO ............AND YES I'M A OLD FART........FAN SINCE 66........FIRST YEAR THEY HAD A FALCONS TEAM

You guys got me goin.

Right now the MVP in the NFL is Tom Brady after he carved up the Bears defense today!!

Edited by Chitown2ATL_Falcon

Only way Ryan can be called MVP is if he takes us to the super bowl and we win it. But even then, it'll probably have a lot to do with Roddy and Turner as well. So Ryan is def a long way off the MVP in any book.

Maybe in a year or two he'll be firmly on the top of MVP talks, but not this season. This season it would be a gift.

HE DIDN'T AND HE RUINED IT FOR ALL THE ONES THAT DO ............AND YES I'M A OLD FART........FAN SINCE 66........FIRST YEAR THEY HAD A FALCONS TEAM

Your arguing with people who are comparing a fool who use to wear a bandana and dance around like a clown after he made a play while splitting time with the Braves to arguably the greatest Falcon. Its a joke but it seems to be irritating you.

Only way Ryan can be called MVP is if he takes us to the super bowl and we win it. But even then, it'll probably have a lot to do with Roddy and Turner as well. So Ryan is def a long way off the MVP in any book.

Maybe in a year or two he'll be firmly on the top of MVP talks, but not this season. This season it would be a gift.

isn't the MVP named after the regular season is over? playoffs and superbowl don't come into the vote at all. if i remember right, two years ago was the beginning of the talk about changing the overtime rules because 'the MVP is not getting to play anymore' talking about the colts losing in overtime when manning won it.

Matt should be and will be TALKED ABOUT, but that's all. FOR THIS YEAR. as he continues to grow up before our eyes, I truly believe that one day he WILL be MVP, maybe next year! Unless Brady tanks completely the rest of the season, he's earned it for this year

Oh Yeah ?

On the NFLN tonight Rich Eisen was reviewing our game and mentioned Matt Ryan as potential MVP, and Deion told him

STOP.

Not once but TWICE.

Pretty smart move huh ? :wacko:

Pre-Pats/Jets game he put on a Falcons helmet and made a passionate argument for why Ryan should win MVP. Brady has taken steps forward while Ryan has taken a step back.

I was on the fence when it came to him being put in the ROH. The fact that he has mentioned it with pride every single week since makes it seem better. However, I do not expect him to lie and say that Ryan is a current front-runner for MVP.

You guys got me goin.

I'm guessing you could leave out all those names other the Brady and THAT'S why Ryan won't get the MVP, and as much as I hate to say it I agree with that. No Tom Brady in NE means no NE in the playoffs. If, god forbid, Ryan did go down I think we'd have a fighting chance still... not so sure about the pats.

Here's what has come from this move:

Deion has become one of our biggest advocates. Every time he speaks of our franchise he praises us. He insists to his colleagues that Arthur Blank is a classy, dedicated, motivated, and otherwise ideal owner (not that anyone would doubt that). He just said on NFL network that he's "riding the Falcons all the way..."

Here's why:

Now that the Falcons are the class of the league (or at least tied for the best), we hang his name in our stadium. We didn't do the whole look-at-us-now routine and try to rub our success in his face. His name is now on a banner in the best team's stadium. He genuinely appreciates that.

Deion will say whatever is the popular statement of the day, and he'll turn on the Falcons in a heartbeat. Deion's commentaries are about.......well......Deion.