Lawrence Sidbury

atljbo

link

After showing some flashes of potential late last season, Falcons second-year DE Lawrence Sidbury has been active in only six games this season and he has yet to record a tackle. Atlanta is hoping he will develop into a potential replacement for 32-year-old DE John Abraham, but Sidbury isn't coming along as quickly as some had hoped.

WTF happened?

Buddy showed some signs last year and this preseason.

I say put him in the dam game. If he just gets one sack like he got last year that's at least what Biermann and Busterson have.

Smitty still hasn't gotten what he has been begging for.......Sacks from the LDE position.

Where the hail are Kerney and Lester Archambeau? They got 10-15 sacks from the LDE position.

Somebody needs to RTFU at the LDE position.

WTF happened?

I say put him in the dam game. If he just gets one sack like he got last year that's at least what Biermann and Busterson have.

Smitty still hasn't gotten what he has been begging for.......Sacks from the LDE position.

Where the hail are Kerney and Lester Archambeau? They got 10-15 sacks from the LDE position.

I dont get it either... I understand his special team ability mustve not been high (the reason why he is not active for allot of games but we need to see the guy in the game... We need a pass rush at that LE spot in the worst way... The guy was looking awesome during the preseason.

Sidbury must have had a bad camp and practices, they are not even giving him a chance.

During camp time... I heard great things... I think its the Special team thing... I think he was a let down in ST.. Coach Smith even mention that it has to do with ST (the reason why he is not active)

IDK.

Pretty good friends with Sid, what I'm hearing from some of his old teammates (he pretty much doesn't talk to any college friends anymore, understandable) he really isn't sure himself why he hasn't been playing. I feel they're developing him this year and just letting him run wild next year? Idk. He's looked good every time he's in there.

Pretty good friends with Sid, what I'm hearing from some of his old teammates (he pretty much doesn't talk to any college friends anymore, understandable) he really isn't sure himself why he hasn't been playing. I feel they're developing him this year and just letting him run wild next year? Idk. He's looked good every time he's in there.

Im thinking its that also.

WTF happened?

I'm with you, Practice, Shamtice lets see him in a game to evaluate him.

perhaps his tackling and thus run support is suspect based on lack of inspiration on ST's or innability to make tackles/stops at that level.

they said before that the #1 job of our DE's is stopping the run on 1st and 2nd and forcing 3rd and longs so the pass rushers can pin their ears back.

i was thinking run support was their concern all along, and not that he cant do it, just that he lacks consistancy. he cant go in their and give up as many big plays as he makes. i remember in PS that he made some good stops vs run but he also gave up some big runs as well. KC seemed to run at him, but they are a very good running team so you cant count that against him too harshly. maybe his attitude aint quite right, who knows.

the panthers are a running team so i doubt we see him this week either, but i would like to see him get a chance to fail or succeed before seasons end. maybe CAR at home the last game of the year depending on where we stand in the playoff race and home field advantage throughout.

WTF happened?

Here is what I don't get, why is anybody surprised. The guy had 5 tackles and one really nice play last year. That small glimmer doesn't mean you have arrived or big things are in store for you. I understand hope, but we are talking about a 4th round pick from a small school and wonder why he has not shown more. Bierman had a nice season last year but has only one sack this year.

I think the bottom like is that the Falcons don't have enough talent at the DE position besides Abraham whom is up in age.

He's not taking anyone's spot on 1st or second down. So if he is going to earn playing time, it would be by taking pass rushing snaps away from Abe or Biermann. Seems to make sense that if he isn't on ST he isn't going to see more than a small handful of snaps. We already keep a lot of DL active on game day, so there just isn't space for another one if they aren't going to play ST. The good news is that he's getting the chance to develop and learn, and his lack of PT isn't necessarily a reflection of poor play.

Remember, our defense is built around not making mistakes, so it's reasonable that a guy like Sid, who's strength is playmaking but also who arrived raw, would sit for a while. DeCoud and Moore each sat for a full year, even Biermann sat behind a pretty unproductive JA98 for 2 seasons.

It is purely a numbers game. Over and over I have said this when Sid is brought up and Smitty confirmed it.

Sid isn't better than Davis or JA98 at run support and Abe/Biermann are our pass rushers. Therefore, if he is activated, who does he replace? He isn't active on special teams (i.e. Biermann) so why use a roster spot on a guy who is only going to see 3rd & long situations?

I say we are developing him with no rush/pressure on him and this offseason let Trey Lewis and Chauncey Davis go making room for Sid and the rookie DE. We know Sidbury is a talented pass rusher, he just needed coaching.

Think about how the Pats rotate players when older ones walk, it is because they have had good talent in the stables being coached up. That is all that is happening.

He came out of Richmond guys. His learning curve is much steeper than guys coming out of bigger schools and programs. Sidury is a 3-4 year project that has the tools to be a solid pass rusher. He was worth the gamble and is still worth the gamble, because it is unrealistic to think he would be contributing in a big way this year.

Personally I thought he would take a much larger step forward in his development, but a lot of it has to do with his struggles on ST's and not so much his defense. They can't afford to waste a roster spot on Sidbury right now. I expect him to become an active part of this team next year but right now he is still developing his game.

Everytime I see Sidbury on the sidelines or see him in the locker room on NFL Network he always has a look like he does not want to be there or he is bitter about something. That is just me judging his body language. Hopefully he is not acting like some stupid azz thug and listening to what the coach's are telling him because the dude has skills.

I understand bringing a guy along slowly, but there is no way that the guy should be playing so much less snaps than he played last year. Atleast give him some opportunity to get in there.