Pony Excess

CrimsonKat

Another great 30 for 30 documentary on ESPN. The focus was obviously on the Death Penalty for the football program at SMU. Just fascinating how everything went down. It is also pretty ironic to air that documentary immediately following Cam Newton winning the Heisman trophy.

Another great 30 for 30 is the Marcus Dupree documentary that was on a few weeks ago. If you are a fan of college football recruiting, it was a must see.

Guest AtlWhite84

Best one ever. That was the most engaging and fascinating sports documentary I've ever watched. These 30 for 30 documentaries have been the best idea ESPN has ever come up with, and there's no doubt they'll continue making them.

All the best ones have been football related in my opinion.

The U, The Best That Never Was, Pony Exce$$, and Run Ricky Run were my favorites.

Edited by AtlWhite84

Best one ever. That was the most engaging and fascinating sports documentary I've ever watched. These 30 for 30 documentaries have been the best idea ESPN has ever come up with, and there's no doubt they'll continue making them.

Did you see the Marcus Dupree documentary? I cannot decide which one I liked better -- they were both great. I also really like the 30 for 30 documentary on the USFL a few months ago and I really liked the Loyola Marymount special as well.

I didn't watch it but it comes on again around 1 or 1:30 and I'll be tuning it in. I'm ready to learn what the "Death Penalty" was all about.

It is outstanding.

I will say this for those who watched, I think some of those SMU guys are right about selective enforcement. Every other school in the SWC was paying players at the time, including Baylor and TCU -- and the big boys, Texas and Texas A&M, were shelling out the cash at about the same rate (or maybe even moreso) than SMU. The NCAA was not going to touch the big boys, but they made an example out of SMU.

Have any of y'all seen The U DVD? Are the extras worth it? Are there more Uncle Luke outtakes? BTW the guy behind The U also made the spectacular Cocaine Cowboys documentary.

The U is the second best sports doc after Tyson. One of the highlights is Tyson telling the story of becoming the youngest heavyweight champ ever after defeating Trevor Berbick by a TKO in the second round. Tyson said that he was in a hurry to finish the fight because the gonorrhea he contracted "from an unclean woman or prostitute" was really burning.

Have any of y'all seen The U DVD? Are the extras worth it? Are there more Uncle Luke outtakes? BTW the guy behind The U also made the spectacular Cocaine Cowboys documentary.

The U is the second best sports doc after Tyson. One of the highlights is Tyson telling the story of becoming the youngest heavyweight champ ever after defeating Trevor Berbick by a TKO in the second round. Tyson said that he was in a hurry to finish the fight because the gonorrhea he contracted "from an unclean woman or prostitute" was really burning.

Hahahaha

Guest AtlWhite84

It is outstanding.

I will say this for those who watched, I think some of those SMU guys are right about selective enforcement. Every other school in the SWC was paying players at the time, including Baylor and TCU -- and the big boys, Texas and Texas A&M, were shelling out the cash at about the same rate (or maybe even moreso) than SMU. The NCAA was not going to touch the big boys, but they made an example out of SMU.

Oh absolutely. The NCAA as a whole in the 80's was a completely corrupt operation. No way they would have went after Texas, TA&M or Arkansas for the EXACT same thing as SMU was doing. Then again, nobody was calling in complaining about those teams either because they were "traditional powers."

They make it a point to show how it wasn't really even the other SWC schools that started reporting all of this to the NCAA, but rather when SMU started to recruit nationally, schools like Michigan and Ohio State were pissed off that they were coming into their states offering this and that.

The other SWC schools weren't going to rat each other out because they were all doing the same things, it was the other schools in other parts of the country who were pissed that little ole SMU was coming into their states and cherry picking their best athletes.