Mass Effect 2

Anyone played this on XBox360 or PC? Will not playing the original matter?

Did some research for myself, as I've played both ME1 and ME2 on the PC.

Mass Effect 2 on PS3 is going to have a 'prologue' that sort of runs you through ME1 and allows you to make the decisions that influence ME2 and eventually ME3.

Not only that, but I may have to buy this for my PS3 for another reason entirely. They didn't simply port the game to the PS3, but they are installings the new graphics engine of Mass Effect 3 on the PS3 version of ME2. :wub:

Didn't play ME2 on Xbox (did play a good bit of the first ME though), but I just played the demo on PS3 and it is very impressive. Even the demo has a quick run-down of some of the major events from the first game, so I'm expecting the full PS3 release of ME2 to have an impressive prologue before getting into ME2 proper.

Game looks great on PS3. Not comparing or anything... just saying, it looks great.

Might as well compare, it looks better than any other Mass Effect game because the graphics design engine from Mass Effect 3 was installed especially for the PS3 version of ME2.

Well there's really no comparison to make if it's specifically enhanced for the PS3 release.

I'm just glad someone is finally taking the time to make the PS3 version of a multi-platform game special. Treyarch totally crapped on PS3 owners with Black Ops. It's not even funny how much worse it is for PS3 than Xbox.

• 3 weeks later...

Game is out now... I haven't picked it up and don't plan to for a little while longer, but I'll definitely be getting it. Soooo glad they took the time to do a port of Mass Effect proper justice. It's an excellent series... would have been a real disservice if it was just a straight port of the game. Makes me want to buy it that much more. :)

You still have to have a code to download the Cerberus Network just so you can access and download the comic. Not to mention that not all DLC is on the disc, some you can get for free if you have the code, you can still get the Cerberus network but it cost $15.

There has got to be a better term than RPG. Don't you play a role in every game, regardless of genre?

There isn't a better term then RPG, Everybody will tell you that Mass Effect is an Action RPG game and If they don't think so then they have no clue what an RPG game is.

There isn't a better term then RPG, Everybody will tell you that Mass Effect is an Action RPG game and If they don't think so then they have no clue what an RPG game is.

I didn't mean RPG as it is used to describe Mass Effect, but the actual genre role playing game because the term RPG applies to any game. In Donkey Kong you played the role of Mario, but the game itself was a platform game. The tech world uses the term RPG to describe an open world game where stats influence combat success and development of your character is a core part of the experience. It needs a better name/definition than RPG, especially now that games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption are merging the traditional RPG with the shooter genre.

I didn't mean RPG as it is used to describe Mass Effect, but the actual genre role playing game because the term RPG applies to any game. In Donkey Kong you played the role of Mario, but the game itself was a platform game. The tech world uses the term RPG to describe an open world game where stats influence combat success and development of your character is a core part of the experience. It needs a better name/definition than RPG, especially now that games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect and Red Dead Redemption are merging the traditional RPG with the shooter genre.

RPG gaming has emerged from "Hit, wait, hit again" example FF10x2 and below. You know that type of RPG is dead when Final Fantasy is now an action RPG game instead of wait and attack type of RPG in the past.