Do You Feel It Too?

egoprime II

This is a Fslcons thread, but bear with me a sec ok.

Back in 1991, the hotshot team of baseball's National League was the Los Angeles Dodgers. Everyone picked them to win the NL East if not a World Series title, especially since they had just signed Daryl Strawberry. No other team in the division was considered a threat, especially the Atlanta Braves, who were completely off the radar at the time.

But the Atlanta Braves brought in a GM from Kansas City, John Schuerholtz, who radically changed the culture in the Braves' organisation. Solid baseball players like Sid Bream, Rafael Belliard, Otis Nixon and Terry Pendleton were added to the roster. More farm clubs were added to an already solid collectiion of minor league teams. And the Braves trotted out three young starting pitchers in Glavin, Smoltz and Avery. This was when the Braves started thier 14 year dominance of the National League East. The Braves did it with a combination of talent, skill, determination and a little bit of luck. The Dodgers have never been the same since.

I saw it happen then, and more important I felt it happen. There was a changing of the guard kind of feel...the Braves had the same 'it' that coach Smith talks about in Matt Ryan. And the entire Falcons team is acquiring 'it' too. How else do you explain two guys in Grimes and Weems who were not even drafted, coming out of seeming nowhere, rising up (pun intended) and influencing the outcome of the game in TB last week? There seem to be different 'heroes' every week though the constants have been our core players...just like what the Braves pitching staff used to be like.

Am I alone in this or do you guys get this feeling too?

Edited by egoprime II

This is a Fslcons thread, but bear with me a sec ok.

Back in 1991, the hotshot team of baseball's National League was the Los Angeles Dodgers. Everyone picked them to win the NL East if not a World Series title, especially since they had just signed Daryl Strawberry. No other team in the division was considered a threat, especially the Atlanta Braves, who were completely off the radar at the time.

But the Atlanta Braves brought in a GM from Kansas City, John Schuerholtz, who radically changed the culture in the Braves' organisation. Solid baseball players like Sid Bream, Rafael Belliard, Otis Nixon and Terry Pendleton were added to the roster. More farm clubs were added to an already solid collectiion of minor league teams. And the Braves trotted out three young starting pitchers in Glavin, Smoltz and Avery. This was when the Braves started thier 14 year dominance of the National League East. The Braves did it with a combination of talent, skill, determination and a little bit of luck. The Dodgers have never been the same since.

I saw it happen then, and more important I felt it happen. There was a changing of the guard kind of feel...the Braves had the same 'it' that coach Smith talks about in Matt Ryan. And the entire Falcons team is acquiring 'it' too. How else do you explain two guys in Grimes and Weems who were not even drafted, coming out of seeming nowhere, rising up (pun intended) and influencing the outcome of the game in TB last week? There seem to be different 'heroes' every week though the constants have been our core players...just like what the Braves pitching staff used to be like.

Am I alone in this or do you guys get this feeling too?

wow that brings back memories!!