Trooper Taylor's son victim of racism...

TyroneDawg

Really sad story. His HS basketball coach wont let him play unless he cuts his braids. Its sickening that racism like this still exists in our country. The Taylors have filed a lawsuit against the school system.

Hair

BTW ... the "racist" in this story is a black man who won citizen of the year in 2005. Lol what a joke the Taylors are.

"Racist"

Really sad story. His HS basketball coach wont let him play unless he cuts his braids. Its sickening that racism like this still exists in our country. The Taylors have filed a lawsuit against the school system.

Hair

BTW ... the "racist" in this story is a black man who won citizen of the year in 2005. Lol what a joke the Taylors are.

"Racist"

With kids like this, I don't blame Mike Leach. He probably should have gone further. If he won't voluntarily take a trim, jump him and shave his head.... or just kick his sorry butt off the team.

I really don't want to get in a racial discussion (and you stay outta here, Clockwork!) but unless you're a Rastafarian, then how are braids a part of your heritage? I've met a number of native Africans (BTW some of the nicest most gracious people you could ever know) and they all have really short hair.

Okay so my old high school Wayne County hired a guy about a decade ago who was a former college cheerleader to coach our once proud football team. He had no clue what he was doing and had the most lax weightlifting standards of any coach I've ever heard of, despite being able to bench 450 himself. So after he got canned they hired a real hardass, old-school, wing-t runnin' dude with a buzzcut(he was like an older version of the gym teacher from Beavis and Butthead). This guy said right off the bat that you couldn't play if any hair hung outta your helmet. So technically that's race neutral, but there was something I learned from LEGL 6500 Employment Law called disparate impact. Thats because the white kids' idea of long hair is Bama bangs, but there were plenty of black kids who flat out refused to get a haircut and thus didn't play. Well on his second year on the job, he was also AD, he got into it with the black basketball coach, and the powers that be decided to fire Coach Buzzcut. Well the story has a happy ending as Jody Grooms, Trinton Sturdivant's old HS coach, was hired and he has turned things around off the field and is starting to turn things around on it. A lot of folks I went to school with at UGA and have met in metro ATL aren't familiar with Wayne County - we have '11 GT commit Tre Jackson and '12 UGA QB offeree Greyson Lambert. Wayne County also gave you Lindsay Scott - you're welcome.

A lot of teams have these types of rules like Joe Torre during his Yankee days

I think it goes back even further than Torre, who I don't think had similar grooming standards with the Cards. I remember Don Mattingly having mustache drama when I was a baseball card collector in grade school. BTW I really wish they had been less concerned with facial hair and more concerned with Torre's nose picking. I'm looking at you, too, Bobby Cox!

A lot of folks I went to school with at UGA and have met in metro ATL aren't familiar with Wayne County - we have '11 GT commit Tre Jackson and '12 UGA QB offeree Greyson Lambert. Wayne County also gave you Lindsay Scott - you're welcome.

Also current Georgia backup QB Parker Welch, who throws the ball well enough that you wonder why Wayne County was running the Wing T.

Our coaches didn't allow facial hair, like Mark Richt for most of his time in Athens. But they also didn't allow hair hanging out of the back of the helmet for the simple reason that it gave opposing players something to grab onto. But I for one am am just shocked to see Trooper Taylor do something that draws attention to himself. Just shocked. Sounds to me like he lost a p***ing contest with an old school coach and escalated things.

I respect what the coach is attempting to instill with these young men but I don't agree with the policy. I understand it's been in place for 20 years but he is not their parent or guardian, I'm indifferent about the lawsuit however.

Edited by iQue

You may not agree with the policy but a rule is a rule. We couldn't have dreads, facial hair or anything in high school or on the sports teams. CUT YOUR **** HAIR. Jesus. It just makes me mad that an idiot like this would believe his son is a victim of racism. How about you get the kid to cut his **** hair and there would be no problem. Jesus.

At this juncture in the thread, I think this point should be reiterated: "THE COACH IS AFRICAN-AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!" While not impossible, I can tell you that the legal burden to present even a prima facie case of racial discrimination against a decision-maker who is in your same protected class is VERY DIFFICULT.

A good portion of my practice is Employment Law, primarily racial discrimination actions, and 99 cases out of 100 case against a decision-maker who is in a protected class are dismissed at summary judgment and never come close to seeing a jury. I do not think this case will end well for Trooper Taylor, unless the School Board, which is likely not in a great financial position, just decides to cave to save on legal fees. If they do, that will be a shame -- I hope the School Board wins this case at summary judgment and asks the Judge for a recoupment of fees from Trooper.

I respect what the coach is attempting to instill with these young men but I don't agree with the policy. I understand it's been in place for 20 years but he is not their parent or guardian, I'm indifferent about the lawsuit however.

I'm just going to leave this link right here. Parents like the Taylors were one reason I got out of coaching. It's just not worth dealing with them. Of course I left coaching to go to law school and after graduating I've learned that Crimson Kat is right. This kind of suit is almost impossible to win against someone who is in a protected class, especially the protected class you claim is being discriminated against. Though I would love to see the school board attorneys file a Rule 11 motion on this thing and call Trooper's bluff.

I see where you are going but that really doesn't apply here.

Um, tell that to the U.S. Supreme Court. Someone must have forgotten to inform them that they overruled themselves on it. Schools can limit the way students dress, including hair. And the restrictions on student freedom can go even further within the context of voluntary activities, like sports, because the student has a choice: follow the rule or don't play. The main case on it is Vernonia v. Acton.

Not to go all berserker lawyer here, but this lawsuit is DOA.

Um, tell that to the U.S. Supreme Court. Someone must have forgotten to inform them that they overruled themselves on it. Schools can limit the way students dress, including hair. And the restrictions on student freedom can go even further within the context of voluntary activities, like sports, because the student has a choice: follow the rule or don't play. The main case on it is Vernonia v. Acton.

Not to go all berserker lawyer here, but this lawsuit is DOA.

Nice summary.