Madden 11 Patch #5 Details

In a surprise move EA Sports has released a fifth patch for Madden 11. Upon starting the game for the 360 or PS3 the prompt to download the update should appear. Currently though patch distribution for both consoles seems to be inconsistent with some having received the patch while many others are still waiting for it to arrive.

The patch takes into consideration community feedback with a focus on improving the defense. It also attempts to fix a few online related exploits. Continue on for the patch details and leave your thoughts in the comments!

Improved reaction times for defenders in coverage to better react to receivers

Improved logic to get defenders in better position to make plays on the ball while in the air

Improved defensive play recognition to get defenders reacting to the play faster

Tuned up defensive pursuit to get defenders to take smarter angles to the ball carrier

Tuned up defensive gap aggressiveness to get defenders into the hole faster

Fixed an issue where the play art on defense would sometimes not show up correctly when showing blitz. We have corrected this problem in thirteen formations so now all proper play art will be displayed when showing blitz to the offense.

Fixed an exploit to disallow defenders from all blitzing when the quarterback tried to pump fake when facing the wrong direction. This was discovered in NCAA Football 11 and fixed in both titles.

Fixed an exploit where unscrupulous players could get their fullback or tight end to move across the line of scrimmage and cause an encroachment penalty against an unsuspecting defensive player.

Fixed an exploit where online gamers could use specific timing in pulling the network plug and cause a soft lock for both users, thus not having to face a loss. We’ve isolated and fixed the problem, so now if someone pulls their plug, they rightfully get a loss.

To anyone that isn't pleased with any of these patches, something is seriously wrong. Here are some comments from peeps outside of AFMB.

Hector 9 hours ago

Great news! EA really delivered with the patches this year. Excited to see how much better the game is now with these tweaks.

Lol 9 hours ago

First and it's nice to see that the defense is being improved. I cant stand playing online and the game being decided by who gets the ball at half because of no defensive stops.

Jeff Solomon 9 hours ago

The first update I like A+ on description, now lets see what I have to say after I play with it. Sounds like they upped the D a lot.

Zak 9 hours ago

I used to love Madden but i just could not stand the broken tackles this year. If they fixed that i would have loved to continue to playing this game. Oh well.

Lake Allen 8 hours ago in reply to Keith.

They've been trying to make the game better with the patches. Taking things that people want fixed or improved. Its not like the game was broken along the way. Ridiculous to suggest that doing a bunch of patches are a bad thing. EA deserves credit for putting these resources into the game when they could have just moved on to next year!

Masters Roman 4 hours ago in reply to Hungryandrew

you don't want a game that needs 15 patches, but a game like this where you need patches to fix some exploits to make the game more fun and balance is understandable. it's a give take thing, some people will look at it this way the others will look at it that way. As long as they work hard making the game better as a product, i'm a consumer... look at the smartphones. they have updates all the time, and some people don't say anything about that. consider this a system update.

Thanks for the post J.

This is good news as I'd stopped playing for a while because I got tired of unrealistic scores and gameplay.

Hopefully this helps... and now hopefully I can actually finish playing a season in my Franchise Mode!

No doubt. There is no one that can say EA doesn't at least try to fix what's broken. Hopefully they can tackle all these issues b4 they decide to release next years game

I really didn't know what the patch fixed when I downloaded it the other day; however, I did notice that my D has improved so much. I a am getting to the point where I actually will punt it now. It was so bad before I couldn't risk punting and giving them the ball back. I just couldn't ever get a stop against someone with any skill.

I really didn't know what the patch fixed when I downloaded it the other day; however, I did notice that my D has improved so much. I a am getting to the point where I actually will punt it now. It was so bad before I couldn't risk punting and giving them the ball back. I just couldn't ever get a stop against someone with any skill.

I never had a problem with my D except missed tackles and my corner not catch the interception

I never had a problem with my D except missed tackles and my corner not catch the interception

I hated getting my DB in perfect postion to make the INT and pressing the button and having him do an animation that basically took him out of position to catch the ball. I had so many big plays against me because of this.

I still dont like the fact that the QB always seems to just get the ball off in time to avoid a sack and the fact that if your going to tackle a rb they always bounce off. I did a little experiment where i put Willy Mo's tackle and hit power all the way up and went up against Addai and Addai broke about 6-7 tackles from Moore

I still dont like the fact that the QB always seems to just get the ball off in time to avoid a sack and the fact that if your going to tackle a rb they always bounce off. I did a little experiment where i put Willy Mo's tackle and hit power all the way up and went up against Addai and Addai broke about 6-7 tackles from Moore

I still wish they would do something about the rubberband AI. I swear it is in affect in online games. Last night I was up by 10 with 2 minutes left, and went to kick off. I kicked off the same way I do everytime, but the kick meter didn't stop. I didn't shank the kickoff out of bounds, but i put it in the corner of the field. Right where Reggie Bush was able to break contain and score a TD. I should have squibbed it but I have been on such a role lately about being able to stop the KR man.

Anywho the guy tried an Onside kick and it bounced off my players hands. Needless to say I ended up losing by 4 because my DB's decided they would drop 3 sure INT's on the last drive. I ended up missing a 4th down bat down by Grimes to allow him to score.

There was no way this guy should have been back in the game, and I felt like that **** rubberband AI helped the guy.

I noticed I can actually play this game on All-Madden now and it's a decent game. I went up against the Bucs, and won 20-10. The biggest thing will missed tackles is everyone tries to do the hit stick. What alot of people fail to realize is that the hit stick is supposed to be a big risk/big reward type thing. If you go for a big hit, there is an increased chance of fumbling. This might be the reason why alot of the guys are bouncing off your tackles. Try just making the standard tackle and they won't break off as many runs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...