Ron Paul & Wikileaks.

DefenseWinzCliche

I honestly have not kept up with what Wikileaks has leaked to have much of an opinion.

As long he isn't releasing any info that puts soldiers and citizens in harms way I see no problem. This government getting embarrassed needs to happen. If they embarrassed by the leaks, quit doing #### to be embarrassed about. Pretty simple, really.

I've referred to our government as the "Imperial Federal Government" for years now.

Not sure why that would surprise you.

In all fairness, the focus of all complaints was alot more on "federal" than "imperial". I haven´t seen too many people questioning Americas "imperial agenda" on this forum because it should be obvious that the US - despite the costs of war - is benefiting from maintaining its role it gained during the cold war. Without it, what would the US be?

I think Ron Paul is right and wrong on this issue. He is correct to chastise our government for lying and attempting to cover up it's wrong doings. He's also right in arguing that the security lax in this case should be pointed out and critiqued. And it's his normal fair to weave in his opinions of our foreign policy around it. That's fine too, and he does make salient points.

Where he's wrong, and others as well I've seen grandstanding on this issue, is in providing an underlying approval for the facilitation of theft of secret documents, which is what has occurred. This isn't journalism, this is a hacked file dumped onto the web. There are thousands of documents, which only a few are proving to be "news worthy". Fortunately, most of it is simply embarrassing, and really nothing life threatening as some have tried to claim. But I fear the precedent it sets for others who may not be as discerning or has a higher classified access.

It also invites a serious backlash by our government and others to guard and protect secret information making it even more difficult for direct whistleblower efforts.

Wikileaks didnt hack anything. They released information that was given to them.

How would you feel if it were names, addresses, and social security numbers? Would the website be a problem or not?

Journalists use confidential sources and leaks often, but rarely do they involve the illegal obtaining of information. And you'd be hardpressed to define what has happened here as some form of journalism. The Private who is on trial for this could have just as easily sent him the video and back story on the Yemen strike if that was what he wanted to do. Instead he downloaded thousands of documents, most of which are useless not newsworthy diplomatic crap, and gave it to a source he knew would make it public for viewing. Trying to mainstream this type of action is exactly the problem I see with it long term.