Terrelle Pryor thinks he could dominate like Cam Newton

Unknøwn

As difficult as it is to tackle Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor one-on-one in the open field, its even harder to shut him down when ever theres a microphone or notepad in front of him.

Despite all the considerable efforts by OSU to restrict Pryors access or polish his public persona, he inevitably escapes and almost always causes a more eye-opening reaction with his words than his actions on the field.

Pryor is quite the gadfly on Twitter, taking aim at his critics via his account, @TPeezy2, as he did after the Buckeyes 20-17 victory at Iowa.

None of you haters could fill my shoes with 10 socks on. Bums, he Tweeted.

That post was deleted, as was another where Pryor took issue with the analysis of ESPNs Kirk Herbstreit, whom TP called a fake Buckeye for daring to question the quarterbacks chippy sideline demeanor.

This week, Pryor sent OSUs small army of NCAA rules compliance officials scrambling when he promised to give away two tickets to the Sugar Bowl on Twitter.

Hes since been told he cant do that, for fear it might compromise his eligibility should an agent or booster win the seats.

When he failed to make first- or second-team all-Big Ten, Pryor Tweeted: ****. I must be the worst quarterback/player. I might quit football.

While no doubt an irritant to Ohio State, Pryors Twitter missteps at least can be stricken from the record.

His ill-chosen words arent as easy to eradicate, and he let loose a streeam of them this week to the Chicago Tribune.

Asked about how he would fare if operating an offense like Auburns Cameron Newton, Michigans Denard Robinson or Northwesterns Dan Persa, Pryor told the Tribune:

Ill put it like this: You put me in any of their offenses any of them and Id dominate. Id dominate the nation. What those guys do, thats what theyre supposed to do in their offense. They carry the ball 30 times a game. I carry the ball maybe five times. There are times I didnt even run the ball. You put me in any of their offenses, where I can run the ball and have a chance to throw, I would dominate college football.

Pryor obviously believes Ohio States offense is holding him back, which must drive Ohio State coach Jim Tressel crazy for an assortment of reasons.

First, Tressel abhors his players speaking candidly about what they could do if only they were given more opportunities to shine individually. Coaches in every team sport are funny that way.

Second, Tressel said earlier this year OSUs best play was allowing Pryor to scramble and make something happen on the fly, so its not like the head man has handcuffed his quarterback.

Third, Pryor said when he came to Ohio State that the reason he rejected Michigan and Oregon was because he didnt want to run the Spread offense, but develop into an NFL quarterback.

What Pryor told the Tribune is a direct shot at his head coach and the Ohio State offensive staff. How could it be taken any differently, when Pryor emphasized three times that in any of the offenses in question he would dominate college football.

Second, what Pryor campaigned for making himself the focal point -- is exactly what Ohio State has done virtually from the day he reported to campus.

Trouble is, it hasnt worked as well as when hes asked to do less and his teammates more.

Did Tressel not change OSUs approach Pryors freshman year upon inserting him as the starter in the seasons fourth game?

Yes, he did, shelving the downfield passing game the Buckeyes featured with Todd Boeckman under center to go with shorter throws, roll-outs and plays with a run-pass option tailored to Pryor.

Did Tressel last year not put virtually the entire offense on Pryors abilities before he committed four turnovers in an inexplicable loss at Purdue?

Yes, he did, and when OSU reverted to a tailback-oriented offense thereafter it became much more effective on offense.

Did Tressel this season not again try an all-TP-all-the-time approach until Ohio State lost at Wisconsin?

Yes, he did, but after watching Pryor throw incomplete on three successive plays after the Buckyes pulled within 21-18 in the third quarter via Dan Herrons runs out of the I formation, Tressel remembered what stoked the furnace a year earlier and went back to Herron for the stretch run.

Getting opportunities to shine has never been Pryors problem. Delivering on those opportunities in big games, and taking personal responsibility when he doesnt, has been the problem hes so far unable to shake.

Pryor rushed 18 times for 56 yards at Wisconsin and went 14-of-28 passing for 156 yards and one interception. Those numbers almost exactly match his career average in games against ranked opponents.

The only time hes produced a Cam Newton-type performance on the big stage was in the Rose Bowl at the end of last season, when Pryor went 23-of-37 for 266 yards and two TDs and rushed for 72 yards on 20 carries. He was outstanding in that 26-17 victory, which turned on a jump ball he threw up for grabs on the clinching touchdown drive that 6-6 tight end Jake Ballad plucked out of the air for a 24-yard gain.

Ballad saved Pryors bacon on that play, just as Dane Sanzenbacher saved him numerous times on acrobatic catches this season.

Pryor seems to forget that the teammates he berates on the sideline when he throws an interception are the same guys who spare him turnovers from time to time.

He surely forgot that earlier this season upon stating his reasons for wanting to come back for his senior year.

Im a Buckeye until I break all the records, Pryor said. I want to leave a legacy here, maybe some day get my jersey hung up. Thats one of my goals, as well.

Was there anything in there about winning a national championship? Anything at all that was team related?

Humility apparently is not in Pryors arsenal, but we knew that when Wisconsin administered a 31-18 beat down in Madison in October and Pryor said within the next week, They werent better than us. Everybody knows that if we play nine out of 10 times, wed beat Wisconsin.

Only if they put ball in your hands, right, Terrelle?

Pryor is one of the few guys in college football that I don't like, and I'm pretty sure some of his own teammates don't like him. Straight up hating going on.

Dude just sounds and looks like the most selfish guy in college football. No true leadership skills at all.

Troy Smith won a Heisman with that same Tressel offense, I don't see a whole lot of changes since then.

Pryor is a direct result of this new recruiting services machine. They take an unproven recruit, name him the "top prospect" in the nation, and basically turn a 17-18 year old into an overnight rockstar. I think that most recruits take that mentality into the next level.

Tip to Pryor: Be a leader and lead your team to an undefeated season and a spot in the NC game, very achievable in that conference. Have the camera show you rooting guys on in the sideline. This will almost guarantee you a Heisman, this award has turned into a polularity contest, and you're not the most popular football player right now.

"His ill-chosen words aren’t as easy to eradicate, and he let loose a PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL of them this week to the Chicago Tribune."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

That gets me every freakin' time. As to the article, Pryor needs to STFU and play football. Hopefully Tressel has him running laps from now until doomsday.

If Tressel makes him run laps until he's dead, Tressel can respond to the murder allegations with... "Everybody kills people!"

Maybe you dont watch ohio state games? Pyror is the best player on the field. He makes one comment about a what if and a possiblitiy and he's a tool?

I am sure Cameron Heyward would disagree...

If Pryor wanted a "better" offense, he should have gone to Michigan. He can't blame anyone but himself...

Guest AtlWhite84

He spoke his opinion. But his dad didnt get paid for pryor to play either. He also didnt whine like a ***** when he lost games either. He is dominate. And once again its a run first team that always pumps out good RB's. HE doenst have to have a great arm. But he gets it done when nessisary.

Greatest spelling of that word ever.

You said you go to Ohio State?

Edited by AtlWhite84

Greatest spelling of that word ever.

You said you go to Ohio State?

Sure do. I'm not writing a paper for my english professor and i dont have spell check turned on. Therefor I dont really care too much about impressing anyone on here with spelling and if your really that worried about it you can get over it.

Sure do. I'm not writing a paper for my english professor and i dont have spell check turned on. Therefor I dont really care too much about impressing anyone on here with spelling and if your really that worried about it you can get over it.

We need to give you a break on the spelling, after all, everyone kills people, right?

Sorry for being a jerk, but outside of football, Terrelle Pryor is a bad punchline. As a qb, he is good and very good but he's not great, at least yet. Seriously though, no NCAA championship and the stats aren't there so regardless of potential, he still is not great. I'm 50-50 on who will win this game but no offense, as a Southerner I feel obligated to root for Arkansas.

By the way, GO HAWKEYES! I know, yall beat them...

We need to give you a break on the spelling, after all, everyone kills people, right?

Sorry for being a jerk, but outside of football, Terrelle Pryor is a bad punchline. As a qb, he is good and very good but he's not great, at least yet. Seriously though, no NCAA championship and the stats aren't there so regardless of potential, he still is not great. I'm 50-50 on who will win this game but no offense, as a Southerner I feel obligated to root for Arkansas.

By the way, GO HAWKEYES! I know, yall beat them...

This warms my heart, southerners unite.