DE Kroy Biermann (ankle) LP

G Harvey Dahl (knee) LP

TE Tony Gonzalez (ankle) DNP

LB Curtis Lofton (knee) DNP

RB Antone Smith (hamstring) LP

RB Jason Snelling (hamstring) DNP

WR Roddy White (knee) DNP

LB Coy Wire (head) DNP

I guess this is related to some of the topics about whether we start to rest players or not. I think we can be a little more generous with weeks off for injured players, at this point. I know I know. The Panthers aren't truly a bye; they are pros too, etc etc. I do think that we could rest a couple of the more nagging injuries, however.

If I were in charge, here's how I would do things:

-Abe's groin has been bothering him for a couple of weeks now. Give him the week off. I'd like to see Sidbury before the playoffs anyway. There's the possibility he'd be needed and I'd like to have him get some snaps before crunch time.

-I'd give Babs the week off also. Their offense is weak, and we have a deep rotation, anyway. IMO, he's our MVP on defense, and I want him healthy against the Saints and going into the post season.

-I'd play Biermann, as we need some consistency on the DL.

-Dahl I'd activate, but give him rest, and let Hawley or Johnson show what they can do. Play him if the rooks are not getting the job done.

-Give Gonzo the week off for that ankle.

-I don't know what's going on with Lofton's knee. Sit him if we need to; maybe reduce his snaps and get a different combination in there- maybe Peterson in the middle. Just work out some other scenarios we may have to deal with in the playoffs.

-Smith... really... Does it matter? I mean for his sake- heal up, but...

-Snelling- give him another week off. Love the guy. Hamstring injuries are easily aggravated if they aren't healed up, and we'll have greater need for him soon.

-White- Activate, if he can go at all. Limit his snaps. If we need him, get him out there.

-Wire- It's a head injury of some kind. Rest him.

For me, it has become difficult to read anything useful into these injury reports. Even the Friday report is of little use unless it says "OUT."

Smith seems inclined to rest any veteran player who has the slightest tweak, so a DNP for Gonzo could mean Coach is being cautious or it could mean a real problem. Smith is going to err on the side of caution as well as play it close to the vest with our next opponent. I pretty much hold my breath until the inactives are announced on game day.

The Panthers are still an NFL team. We can't just go resting all of our players, no matter how weak they are. Taking teams lightly like that is how you lose games, and this is still a divisional game.

No matter how weak who are? Our injured players, or the Panthers?

Generally, I'm in favor of resting guys with injuries that could be easily aggravated anyway; especially so when we have games to play beyond the end of the regular season.

The players I've mentioned sitting have had ongoing injuries, or are at positions where our depth matches up well with the Panther's weaknesses.

Other positions I'd be more cautious and activate the regular, but have their backup take more of the snaps.

I understand what you're saying- that they are not going to lay down just because we are preparing for the post season, but we're now positioning ourselves for a bigger picture.

For the record, this is not the same as just the traditional resting of starters at the end of the season. I just think it's the wrong time for players to be pushing through injuries.

No. We have to slip up twice to give them control of the divison.

just once outside of the game vs the saints. if we lose to either carolina or seattle then the saints can win the division by winning their last four. right now there is nothing the saints can do to win the division. they can win all four and will still be the wild card.

just once outside of the game vs the saints. if we lose to either carolina or seattle then the saints can win the division by winning their last four. right now there is nothing the saints can do to win the division. they can win all four and will still be the wild card.

Yes. We have to slip up twice. Two losses. if we lose once and win vs them that loss is irrelevant.

Lofton has had some knee issues for a few weeks now. I hate to report that when I reviewed the game yesterday I saw him make a tackle on the sideline, get up, grimmace in pain and limp noticeably. Hope it's nothing serious.

Then I think this would be a good week to rest him. If he could go if he had to, maybe activate him, but not play him unless he's needed.

I just don't think that this week we need to have players playing through a lot of pain.

Yes. We have to slip up twice. Two losses. if we lose once and win vs them that loss is irrelevant.

right now the saints have no control at all when it comes to the division. they can beat us by 50 on mnf and it wont matter. if we lose to carolina or seattle the saints now have control of their own destiny for the division. we also would be in control of our own destiny, but have just as much power as the saints. as of now we have all the control.