Pitt receiver Baldwin planning to declare for NFL Draft

atljbo

Pitt receiver Baldwin planning to declare for NFL Draft

University of Pittsburgh junior wide receiver Jonathan Baldwin intends to declare for the 2011 NFL Draft, he confirmed to NFLDraftScout.com on Tuesday, shortly after coach Dave Wannstedt stepped down amid pressure following a disappointing 7-5 season. Reached through text message Tuesday evening and asked if it was safe to say he would forego his senior year with Wannstedt stepping down, Baldwin responded, "No, it's not safe to say that. It doesn't change my quarterback!"

At first, it sounded as if Baldwin was non-committal on his future, but when asked, "Why would you stay [for your senior season] when you have no chemistry with QB Tino Sunseri, a new coach/system taking over next season and possibly hurt your draft stock for the 2012 draft, Baldwin clarified, "Oh, I misunderstood you ... Heck yeah I'm leaving. It can only get worse. They had me running a lot of deep routes [this year] and yards were hard to come by. I barely ran intermediate routes; it felt like they were purposely trying to disrupt my draft stock."

At 6-feet-5 and 230 pounds, Baldwin is the No. 6-rated junior wide receiver by NFLDraftScout.com. But he entered 2010 with high expectations after catching 57 passes for 1,111 yards and eight touchdowns as a sophomore.

He was rated the No. 1 underclassman prospect in the Big East by NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst Rob Rang in August. However, he struggled to build on his sophomore success and has 52 catches for 810 yards and five touchdowns entering Pitt's bowl game as he struggled to adjust to first-year starter Sunseri.

Before the start of the season, Baldwin expressed his concerns on how he would adjust to Sunseri, and was cautiously optimistic about the success they could achieve on the field together.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried, because Tino and I haven't been on the field together that much," Baldwin told NFLDraftScout.com in an exclusive interview in July. "This is a big year for me, and I made him aware of that; he knows it's an important year for me, and he's going to try to help me have a big year."

The optimism that Baldwin expressed during the summer never translated on the field this season. And even though Pittsburgh will face Kentucky in the Compass Bowl on Jan. 8, Baldwin will have to prove to scouts this offseason that he's worthy of a high-round selection in April.

very, very, verrrrrrrrrry selfish statements. I dont care how true they may be. You don't say those kind of things about your system or team. A GM like Thomas Dimitroff does not want to hear anything like that. I wouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole now. Seriously.

I kind of thought the same thing when Dunta Robinson did the "Pay me Rick" thing.

I kind of thought the same thing when Dunta Robinson did the "Pay me Rick" thing.

This is tough because what he is saying is the truth. He never showed it on the field though. He isn't pulling a Haynesworth and saying since I am not running the routes I want to I am going to stop. He kept playing (52/810/5). He played with a freshman QB so the offense was limited. I don't really mind the comments as his actions showed otherwise. If he is there and we take him, we all would be ecstatic.

This is tough because what he is saying is the truth. He never showed it on the field though. He isn't pulling a Haynesworth and saying since I am not running the routes I want to I am going to stop. He kept playing (52/810/5). He played with a freshman QB so the offense was limited. I don't really mind the comments as his actions showed otherwise. If he is there and we take him, we all would be ecstatic.

I can say that I would not be.

I think he has great size, athletic ability and he locates and adjusts to the ball really well when it is in the air, but he runs very poor routes, does not change direction well and doesn't sink his hips when going into a break, nor does he have much burst or suddenness to his routes, which will limit his ability to create separation tin the NFL. Not to mention he is a long strider, and because he is not very fundamentally sound he is going to have to be coached up for a year or two before he will make an impact.

That's not to say he can't emerge and have a big year as a 3rd year receiver like so many of them do, but I think Baldwin is a boom or bust guy. And for those of you that have seen me post over the years you know that I don't like those kinds of prospects very much.

TD did an interview about a week ago on one of the radio shows, and he said he didn't like to hear guys trashing thier college system. he said it was bad when a guy came in and said "they didn't use me right."

He doesn't want players to come in here and start complaining about us not using them right. It is a little crazy to say he has character concerns but it is some food for thought.

I can say that I would not be.

I think he has great size, athletic ability and he locates and adjusts to the ball really well when it is in the air, but he runs very poor routes, does not change direction well and doesn't sink his hips when going into a break, nor does he have much burst or suddenness to his routes, which will limit his ability to create separation tin the NFL. Not to mention he is a long strider, and because he is not very fundamentally sound he is going to have to be coached up for a year or two before he will make an impact.

That's not to say he can't emerge and have a big year as a 3rd year receiver like so many of them do, but I think Baldwin is a boom or bust guy. And for those of you that have seen me post over the years you know that I don't like those kinds of prospects very much.

To me he is a Roy Williams type WR... You must throw him the ball on the move... He is not really a yac guy... To slow to start back up if he has to stop and catch the ball....