December 7th 1941

IceStone

Pearl Harbor Day: time to reflect upon the WWII service of my father, who served in the US Army, 3rd Division, 30th Infantry from 1939-1950. Fought in Fedala, French Morocco; Licata, Sicily; Anzio, Italy; St. Tropez, France. Awarded 8 Bronze Stars, 5 Service Chevrons for overseas duty, French Croix de Guerre w/Palm, and many more. He died when I was 16: wish I could give him a hug and say thanks.

military-salute.jpg

Pearl Harbor Day: time to reflect upon the WWII service of my father, who served in the US Army, 3rd Division, 30th Infantry from 1939-1950. Fought in Fedala, French Morocco; Licata, Sicily; Anzio, Italy; St. Tropez, France. Awarded 8 Bronze Stars, 5 Service Chevrons for overseas duty, French Croix de Guerre w/Palm, and many more. He died when I was 16: wish I could give him a hug and say thanks.

military-salute.jpg

I wish I could say thanks as well, unfortunately it won't be too much longer before they are all gone. My Uncle just passed away this year. He was a fighter pilot in the China, India, Burma theater of the war. 10/14 Air Force, 311 Fighter Group, 524 Fighter Squadron. He flew 90 combat missions and received 2 air medals and the Distinguished Flying Cross. He flew the P-51 A,B and D models; P-40; P-38; and P-39. He was given his United States Citizenship for his service but never lived in the US. He absolutely hated every minute of it.

The generation who set the bar for excellence.

True. They didn't worry about being 'politically correct'--they made the sacrifices necessary and just got the job done without excuses or blaming. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend reading the Tom Brokaw book "The Greatest Generation". Anyone under age 40 might be able to learn a thing or two...I'm just sayin'....