Are the Falcons just lucky?

If the Falcons win their close games by luck, don’t that mean that wins like the Patriots had last night are simply the result of just being REALLY,REALLY,REALLY…lucky?

The Brown creamed the Patriots!

Don't care how we win.

When the patriots won their first Superbowl under BeliCHEAT, they hardy blew teams away, but they won the big one!

On the other note, I'm constantly being bashed by Pats fans on how the "zebras" are helping us out in games this season! :lol:

The Brown creamed the Patriots!

Don't care how we win.

When the patriots won their first Superbowl under BeliCHEAT, they hardy blew teams away, but they won the big one!

On the other note, I'm constantly being bashed by Pats fans on how the "zebras" are helping us out in games this season! :lol:

Oh that first Pats Superbowl team had its fair share of luck and I'm not talking about the "Tuck Rule."

They actually played the Falcons in the Dome that year. I remember a specific play where Brady threw a pass and Ambrose jumped to pick it... except the ball hit his knee and bounced back... right into the hands of Troy Brown who then ran the ball into the endzone.

It was un-f@!#ing believe-able...

I tend to believe that there is no such thing as luck in sports.

It's just preparation and execution. Being mentally and physically able to execute your job on the field.

I'd say it's 95% that. 95% of the time, the team that is better prepared and executes better is going to win.

But 5%, something strange happens. Could be the weather, or the refs, or one odd-ball coaching decision, or one out-of-the-blue individual performance (good or bad) that swings a game in a way that all of the prep-work in the world couldn't have helped against.

Edited by K26dp

I don't think we'll see many 45-3 victories just because it's not our style of play. We're a ground it out, wear down the defense and pull out a close win in the 4th kind of team. The Pats play a different style, where you'll get scores like that every now and again.

I suppose we'll see which is the better style of play in February...!

If the Falcons win their close games by luck, don’t that mean that wins like the Patriots had last night are simply the result of just being REALLY,REALLY,REALLY…lucky?

by that same token though, if we meet the Pats, their really really really good luck will trump our simple luck.

Hellz yea we are! Have you SEEN the games this season? We are lucky Ryan is so clutch, and we are lucky that other teams have failed in the last 60 seconds of games.

Luck aside, we are still a very good team no matter which way you shake the branch. Luck, or fate if there is a difference, have definently been a part of our 10-2 record thus far.

If you make a mistake versus the Falcons, they will act and capitalize.

Short version

Don't miss fieldgoals, make mental mistakes, allow us to drive down the field, let it come down to "one play" in the first place.

Long version

Opposing fans can't believe it and call it luck or bad calls. It all comes down to that call/luck, and the effort it takes to capitalize by the other team is thrown out the window.

Saints miss a fieldgoal. In the minds of skeptics, that's it. Atlanta won the game after that. Forget that the Falcons had to drive down 60+ yards to score.

Ravens no-call on OPI. The ball was on the Ravens' 33 prior to the play in question. Offensive pass interference is 10 yards. That puts the ball on the 43 yard line with 20+ seconds left and Atlanta has one timeout. They are down 21-20. The game isn't over.

San Fran INT individual mistake. All he had to do was go down and the game is over, right? Most definitely. But he didn't. They didn't go down last year either; instead, a "me first" CB highstepped midfield, Roddy caught him, and got the ball back. And once again; the game wasn't over after the botched interception. The Falcons still had to drive down the length of the field, with little time left(1:16), to win the game. The Falcons were trailing 14-13, yet they drove 68 yards in 1:10 to kick a 43 yard fieldgoal.

Now the Bucs game. It's because Fox didn't have multiple angles on the Brent Grimes INT. Skeptics ignore all the blown calls previously, and focus on one play. Did we not return a kickoff 102 yards? Guess not. Did we not have 3 3rd downs (one 3rd and 20) and still march down and score on TB in their own back yard clumped up polo field? Even if they call back Grimes' INT (AGAIN), does that result in a TD? There was still time to play. And to go further; TB could have stopped us. They had to stop us. We still got the first down that sealed the win.

With all this talk of our "luck," why is it that no Falcons fans ever bring up the Steelers game? (Rhetorical Question) That was a close game that we lost. I know why.