Zach Mettenberger to LSU

ohiodawg8

QB Zach Mettenberger commits to LSU football

Jim Kleinpeter, The Times-Picayune, December 06, 2010 11:46 a.m.

Former Georgia quarterback Zach Mettenberger has committed to LSU, a source close to the program said Monday.

Mettenberger, who is 6-feet-5 and 247 pounds, will have three years of eligibility and plans to enroll for the spring semester and participate in spring practice. He is LSU's 18th committment for the class of 2011 and will also be eligible to participate in LSU workouts for the AT&T Cotton Bowl which will probably start next week.

He is expected to compete for the starting quarterback job with rising seniors Jordan Jefferson and Jarrett Lee, both of whom struggled this season. He will also provide a bridge between those two and the incoming recruiting class of quarterbacks, which so far includes only one committment, Stephen Rivers, of Athens (Ala.) High School.

Mettenberger, who made an official visit to LSU the week of the Ole Miss game, told Scout.com he was impressed that LSU Coach Les Miles called during the summer to express interenst in bringing him back to the SEC.

"That was big for me," he said. "That kind of let me know that getting back into the SEC was a possibility. Things were up in the air right after I left Georgia, so for coach Miles to offer me a scholarship at that point let me know he was really after me.

"I had actually committed to coach Miles and LSU at the Ole Miss game, but I didn't want to go public until my team finished our season because I thought it might become a distraction," he said. "I knew on the visit that weekend that it was where I needed to be."

The Watkinsville, Ga., native played this past fall for Butler Community College in El Dorado, Kansas, leading his team to a No. 1 ranking and the National Junior College Championship game (Citizens Bank Bowl) on Sunday where Butler lost to Navarro Junior College, 13-12.

Mettenberger completed 17 of 28 passes for 166 yards and a touchdown for Butler which finished 11-1. For the season, Mettenberger completed 177 of 299 passes for 2,678 yards and 32 touchdowns with four intercetpions.

After apparently winning the Georgia starting quarterback job in spring practice earlier this year, Mettenberger was dismissed from the team in May. He pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor counts of sexual battery. He was sentenced to two concurrent 12-month probation periods under the state's first offender act. He was also ordered to pay $2,000 in fines and serve 40 hours of community service work.

The charges stemmed from a March 7 incident in which Mettenberger grabbed the breasts and touched the buttocks of a woman in a bar in Remerton, Ga.

I didn't know that he had won the starting job after the spring. I thought the coaching staff said that Murray won it. Did I miss something?

Met didn't win anything. The coaches new Murray was the starter the day he committed to UGA. Met had a good spring game but Murray eats, sleeps and breaths the QB position.

Edited by Bulldog1950

I didn't know that he had won the starting job after the spring. I thought the coaching staff said that Murray won it. Did I miss something?

no you didn't. aaron murray was going to be our starter and he had won the starting job. they wanted mett and logan to compete with aaron to make him better, but there was no way zach who was going to be suspended for a number of games was going to be our starting qb.

Thanks guys, somebody should correct the writer on that. I know plenty of folks around the local media had Murray as the stater before Spring practice even started. Mett would have been one heck of a back up though, it would have really opened up the playbook for Murray from the beggining of the season.

Thanks guys, somebody should correct the writer on that. I know plenty of folks around the local media had Murray as the stater before Spring practice even started. Mett would have been one heck of a back up though, it would have really opened up the playbook for Murray from the beggining of the season.

it's a writer of an article who was probably given that info from mett..

Well its good to hear he has another opportunity. Hopefully he realizes the amazing opportunity his talent has given him - not once, but TWICE - and keeps himself out of trouble.

Hopefully he truly understands that what he did is wrong and has become a better person from going through all this.

LSU got themselves a heck of a QB talent.