Rev's thoughts from the Bucs game

Rev_Hal

Good morning gang. I hope your Falcons hangover is not as bad as mine. I have always said that I don’t care how we win, as long as we win. Well, I got to test that theory yesterday!

1. A win is a win, and I am glad we won, but man, this wins an award for one of the ugliest wins ever. But great teams find a way to beat good teams, even if they are not playing their best. That’s why the Falcons might just be a team of destiny this year.

2. I watched 2 other games yesterday, and neither game was anywhere close to the intensity of the Falcons Bucs game. It was a real war. It is clearly obvious that these 2 teams genuinely hate each other.

3. The 3rd quarter was just bizarre. I cant remember a more frustrating quarter of football in my life. Everything that could possibly go against the Falcons did. I had never seen anything like ie. That was an ugly 15 minutes.

4. Ryan was off yesterday. I know the crappy condition of the field played a part in that, but he was not sharp at all.

5. There are days I love replay, and days I think it has hurt the game. Yesterday was a bad replay day. Since the technology can determine the exact position of the ball on every catch, plays are constantly overturned on tiny technicalities, and the interpretation is different for every officiating crew.

6. I can’t believe that Grimes’s first interception was overturned, and the last interception was not overturned. These refs were not consistent with the reviews.

7. To be honest, I have never been a Weems fan. I did not think he has a return for a TD in him. But hats off to the best return of his career, and I hope we get to see more of those. It was the turning point in the game.

8. William Moore is a stud. I love how hard this kid plays the game. We have a great young pair of safeties.

9. The Bucs are young and improving, and will be a solid team for years. That organization is really moving in the right direction.

10. Have you ever seen a team in the creamcicle uniforms play so well?

If you'd told me before the game Ryan would throw a couple of picks, complete only half his passes, the falcons couldn't tackle, and lost on TOP, TOs and running yards. I'd have said, well can't win them all.

Elite teams find ways to win. Falcons keep doing that. goal line stand here, last minute drive there, big returns at critical times, big plays by the D at critical time.

And did anybody else notice on the 15 yard penalty on White, that the replay showed him smiling at the other player and just giving him a "great play" tap- he just tapped him on his helmet?

I thought the ruling on Grimes' second INT was dead on according to the rules. The tip of the ball appeared to be heading towards the turf. Then Grimes' butt blocks the next frame and we are left wondering if the ball hit the ground or not. Next time we saw the ball it had Grimes' hand underneath it. Ruling on the field was an INT so it had to stand.

Weems really should have 2 returns for TD, but the Packers guy had to grab Weems' facemask to prevent the first one. He's really improved lately. I used to be one that thought that he just ran until he made contact, but he's actually finding holes now. Could anyone else believe that it had been that long since we've had a Falcon run one back?

It would have been a big day for Snelling. Ovie stepped up and even scored for us but Snelling is the bigger pass-catching threat and he would have helped keep some of those drives alive.

I was watching the NO/Cincy game earlier in the day. The Bengals have the talent but with 3ish minutes left and the ball in the hands of their offense I had no faith they could get the score they needed. They just cannot will the wins. Watching our game and Weems returning the ball for a TD we are just the opposite. People keep saying good teams find ways to win and it is true. Weems is part of a team that wills victories and even though it came from one of the most unlikely places he was a big factor is changing the outcome of the game.

We lost our cool in the first half. Ryan was struggling on that "field" and we were just not generating our own momentum. We lost our calm and generated stupid penalties that shot us that much more in the foot. It is a division game but I, also, feel the team looks to Roddy as a leader and he was "enjoying" himself a little too much.

Rev, I am one of the very few that actually think the ref's got all the calls correct on replay. It was an emotional game and when I first saw a couple of plays at full speed I was screaming at the TV, but the rules are the rules like them or not. That first INT of grimes that went as an incompletion hit the ground, you could see it clearly. His hip obscured the ball hitting the ground on the second. You could infer that it hit the ground but you never saw it and you have to have conclusive evidence.

I personally thought he should have gotten the first just because of how pretty it was and he switched hands mid-air, but that is not a football move, so it was not a completion or INT. I don't like the rule, but the refs got it right.

Matt did have a sloppy game and was off on several targets. Was it really windy there yesterday? I noticed a couple of passes and even one or two kick-offs where the ball appeared to change direction in flight. Not an excuse for Matt and I'm sure he would agree that it was a bad day but both Ryan and Freeman seemed off. Plus the field sucked. I can't remember seeing so many receivers fall down, and linemen too. Did you notice a couple of times one of the linemen would lose their footing and just slide right to the ground?

Rev, I am one of the very few that actually think the ref's got all the calls correct on replay. It was an emotional game and when I first saw a couple of plays at full speed I was screaming at the TV, but the rules are the rules like them or not. That first INT of grimes that went as an incompletion hit the ground, you could see it clearly. His hip obscured the ball hitting the ground on the second. You could infer that it hit the ground but you never saw it and you have to have conclusive evidence.

I personally thought he should have gotten the first just because of how pretty it was and he switched hands mid-air, but that is not a football move, so it was not a completion or INT. I don't like the rule, but the refs got it right.

Matt did have a sloppy game and was off on several targets. Was it really windy there yesterday? I noticed a couple of passes and even one or two kick-offs where the ball appeared to change direction in flight. Not an excuse for Matt and I'm sure he would agree that it was a bad day but both Ryan and Freeman seemed off. Plus the field sucked. I can't remember seeing so many receivers fall down, and linemen too. Did you notice a couple of times one of the linemen would lose their footing and just slide right to the ground?

Someone from the Falcons tweeted before the game that ir was really windy.

I'll give the refs a pass on the challenges but how about the no call on the roddy push and then give him a personal foul a few plays later. Inconsistencies drive me crazy. Also saw some questionable holding no calls.

And then Talib shoves Roddy on the sidelines? That got Coach Smith a big fine last year.

And did anybody else notice on the 15 yard penalty on White, that the replay showed him smiling at the other player and just giving him a "great play" tap- he just tapped him on his helmet?

I'll give the refs a pass on the challenges but how about the no call on the roddy push and then give him a personal foul a few plays later. Inconsistencies drive me crazy. Also saw some questionable holding no calls.

Roddy lightly threw the ball in his face to begin with, then he gave him the gentle push. I believe it was the combination of the 2 that drew the flag. I did not like the penalty and I think it should have been a no flag, but I don't think it was just the push that drew the flag. I think the push along with the ball toss caused the yellow laundry to be thrown.

I have always hated the Sucs as I feel they play dirty and try and get other players to react to their antics. I'm just glad that Roddy and company were able to have the last laugh, 28-24!

A win is a win, no matter how you look at it, it's still a win! 10-2 best record in NFL!!!

If you'd told me before the game Ryan would throw a couple of picks, complete only half his passes, the falcons couldn't tackle, and lost on TOP, TOs and running yards. I'd have said, well can't win them all.

Wow... we did win this game, right? I was drinking while I watched, but I didn't think I had that much.

I don't think the Bucs are that good, remember they haven't beaten a team with a winning record, we just played a terrible game. First of all we have them down 14-7 then we stop running the ball. Turner was cruising through the Bucs and Ryan goes to no huddle and forgets the running game.

Also Ryan lost his mind and was throwing some terrible balls. He was throwing the ball to guys that were covered. He got lucky a few times because the Bucs didn't come down with an INT but he kept doing it. The Bucs wound up with 2 INTs which I think was a direct result of the Falcons and Ryan abandoning the running game.

The Falcons defense also failed to wrap up Freeman time and time again and they did not stop the run effectively. Easily one of the worst games by the Falcons defense this year. There were so many missed tackles in this game and I'm sure Coach Smith will be going ballistic about them this week.

Screw the Bucs too bad we can't play them again so we can beat them convincingly. I also hope Biermann told Freeman "welcome to the NFL" after he knocked the daylights out of him on the sidelines. Another point is we punished them physically. A bunch of Bucs players had to be sidelined because we messed them up.

The bottom line is we played a horrible game and still beat those punks.

The Falcons defense also failed to wrap up Freeman time and time again and they did not stop the run effectively. Easily one of the worst games by the Falcons defense this year. There were so many missed tackles in this game and I'm sure Coach Smith will be going ballistic about them this week.

You might as well get this paragraph ready for every time the Bucs play the Falcons from here on out. Freeman is a beast and shrugs off at least one LB or DL a game. Blount is a 250 lb back and drags guys once he gets a head of steam. Get used to it...they'll be around for the next 5+ years.

Another point is we punished them physically. A bunch of Bucs players had to be sidelined because we messed them up.

Not really. Talib tweaked his hip just pursuing a play and Faine re-strained his bicep while making a routine block(an injury that knocked him out for several games earlier in the season). Those were the only injuries.

The bottom line is we played a horrible game and still beat those punks.

Can't argue with that. The Bucs definitely played a role in the horrible game for you guys. The youngest team in the league, while getting very close, still hasn't been able to finish off a good team yet. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Can't argue with that. The Bucs definitely played a role in the horrible game for you guys. The youngest team in the league, while getting very close, still hasn't been able to finish off a good team yet. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I will, and it's going to last a while.

It's going to last a good while- what makes you think the Falcons aren't going to get better over time?

They'll be much better next year simply because the young D will have another year of experience and another year of TC to get better.

Ryan will get better next year- he'll have rapport with Meier and HD- Don't know Meier? you will.

Then there's the draft, TD works his magic.

Just wouldn't be surprised if the Falcons swept the Bucs next year or two before the Bucs get enough talent in 2012 or 13 to win a game.