Everybody

Mr. Hoopah!

I thought it appropriate to create this thread after yesterday. College football, not unlike (1) war, (2) facebook/twitter and (3) Dancing with the Stars, brings out the very worst in humanity. Notions of common decency are thrown out of the window.

I really enjoy coming here to objectively discuss our beloved college football teams (alma mater in my case) with you guys. We get heated, and it's fun to poke at each other in good jest when the competitive level is running high, and then congratulate each other after each game. That's what this forum should be, and what I would like it to be.

However, it's almost not even enjoyable to post here anymore. There are a few bad apples that have made it their personal mission to libel Auburn with the most vile and venomous posts I've seen on here in quite some time. It's disgusting. It's not everyone, as I said it's only a few. There are several numerous fans of different schools that I like conversing with. However, a select few make me hesitant to post here anymore.

Let me remind you that this is NOT a UGA message board. It is the college sports subforum of the Atlanta Falcons Message Board. Are the majority of posters here UGA fans? Yes. Does that give them a right to treat other fans with open hostility? No. Look, if I came to a dedicated UGA forum to post, I would expect to constantly have shots fired at me. I get that. But I don't think there's any room for the trash that's been thrown my way here. This forum is for all fans of college football guys.

I understand that UGA fans are disappointed in the season that yall had. Trust me, I've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. We would have been lucky to win 6 games with Trotter this season. Cam is a once in a decade talent. However, I don't think it's reasonable to take our your frustrations on Auburn.

I'm here to offer an olive branch to you guys. I'd love to come here and have rational, passionate, and civil discussions about college football. What do you say guys?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mdrake, I think you are a rational Auburn fan who speaks intelligently on the game of football. I like reading your posts. With that said, surely you can understand why there is such a level of animosity directed toward Auburn right now.

When Cam Newton is gone, my guess is things will be business as usual. But Auburn is getting crucified right now, not just by members of this board, but by sports journalist and college football fans across the country -- and many of us would argue rightfully so given the evidence of improprieties committed by the Newton family and the inexplicable actions of Auburn, the NCAA, and the SEC looking in the other direction while counting their money.

Mdrake, I think you are a rational Auburn fan who speaks intelligently on the game of football. I like reading your posts. With that said, surely you can understand why there is such a level of animosity directed toward Auburn right now.

When Cam Newton is gone, my guess is things will be business as usual. But Auburn is getting crucified right now, not just by members of this board, but by sports journalist and college football fans across the country -- and many of us would argue, rightfully so given the evidence of improprieties in conjunction with the NCAA and the SEC looking the other way.

I do understand the ill-feelings towards Auburn because of Cam and Fairley. I HATE it. This has been the most exciting season since 2004 for us and it's been almost completely tarnished because of all of this. This season was so much fun until Cam-gate started. I hate the cloud hanging over this team, I hate the way certain players/coaches act.

With that being said, there is NO reason for some posters to attack Cam/Fairley/Auburn in EVERY SINGLE POST THEY MAKE. It's getting a little old. What else is there to say? Move on.

I do understand the ill-feelings towards Auburn because of Cam and Fairley. I HATE it. This has been the most exciting season since 2004 for us and it's been almost completely tarnished because of all of this. This season was so much fun until Cam-gate started. I hate the cloud hanging over this team, I hate the way certain players/coaches act.

With that being said, there is NO reason for some posters to attack Cam/Fairley/Auburn in EVERY SINGLE POST THEY MAKE. It's getting a little old. What else is there to say? Move on.

I really never attack Fairley, but I understand where that disdain comes from. As for Cam, I do not think anybody outside of Auburn believes he is innocent in this ordeal and it is easy to pile on when players are carrying Cam off on their shoulders while Trooper jumps up and down waving his towel to try and get on camera. I know you don't endorse those actions, but they have become a part of the culture for this team.

I have to agree to an extent that SEC thread last night did get a little ridiculous instead of people just enjoying the game and discussing it

I'm glad I don't participate in those. I haven't even read the one from last night but that might be because my team got curb stomped into oblivian.

Nothing was directed at USC and no USC fans were posting it was just a few posters trashing Auburn every 5 seconds and not even discussing the game just insulting everything to do with Auburn every chance they got

This. Not a single USC fan that I remember. Just repeated, viscous attacks on everything associated with Auburn. I tried to just post on the game but of course got caught up in everything.

I understand how you feel, pretty much all non-UGA SEC fans on this board deal with it at one time or another. That's just the price you pay for posting on a board that's dominated by fans of one particular team. With that said I still enjoy posting here. Sure I get tired of reading jabs against my team, but I like throwing in a couple myself here and there. It's all in good fun (most of the time).

I'm going to take your olive branch and drive to auburn and shove it up fairley's... Haha I'm just kidding. I feel for you man I really do. To have a season like your having and to constantly have to defend your team. It has to suck. The animosity won't go away for auburn so I would advise you just tune it out and enjoy it. Then just let the chips fall were they may after the season. I don't think I've said anything over the top but if I did I apologize.

I'm going to take your olive branch and drive to auburn and shove it up fairley's... Haha I'm just kidding. I feel for you man I really do. To have a season like your having and to constantly have to defend your team. It has to suck. The animosity won't go away for auburn so I would advise you just tune it out and enjoy it. Then just let the chips fall were they may after the season. I don't think I've said anything over the top but if I did I apologize.

I don't recall you saying anything that I took offense to, but thanks. Like I said, it was just a couple of posters, but they got downright nasty. There was no reason for what they said and the frequency of them saying it. I realize Auburn has a huge bullseye on our back but it got out of hand yesterday. Unfortunately, I know that I will have to deal with this the rest of this year and probably well into next season.

I'm not some thin-skinned nancy boy, but there was no real reason for what went on yesterday.

I really never attack Fairley, but I understand where that disdain comes from. As for Cam, I do not think anybody outside of Auburn believes he is innocent in this ordeal and it is easy to pile on when players are carrying Cam off on their shoulders while Trooper jumps up and down waving his towel to try and get on camera. I know you don't endorse those actions, but they have become a part of the culture for this team.

that is pretty much sums it up. mdrake is one of the few auburn posters on this board who has said he doesn't like those actions and that's a credit to him, but it's naive to think that doesn't turn off opposing fans even more so than just being rivals. this is happening on all boards out there and auburn is being trashed nationally by most guys. auburn fans need to enjoy the win and enjoy the ride and not really worry about anything else. whatever happens is going to happen.

I'm more than happy to be civil and just talk football with people. I was only talking about the game in the SEC title thread until it got into the 4th quarter and people just couldn't talk about anything other than the extra crap surrounding Auburn right now.

I made a couple of posts generally stating how I felt and got some kudos from Auburn fans, but it just kept going and one Auburn guy started arguing with me even though I just spelled out why people are attacking Auburn.

So I'm more than happy to not talk about all the crap going on right now... we're not going to solve anything by reminding Auburn fans of their problems at every turn. And personally I love that this board has many different fans, though mostly within he SEC or ACC. It has been really really annoying to me at times as well when some of the UGA fans on here get going relentlessly on a rival fan based on little more than supporting different teams.

It's hard for me to feel too bad about some of the Gator guys that have stopped posting though... they only disappeared because the Gators had a bad season and they talked a bunch of trash all off-season and in the early part of this season.

I formed my Auburn opinions a while back and moved on until if/when the other shoe drops. It'll probably be about 11 months before I invest much emotional capital into anything Auburn related.

This was my first season on the board. So I gotta ask if the whole "Auburn vs The World" is the ugliest things have ever gotten on the board? Obviously most Auburn fans are gonna state that it is, but I would be happy to hear what anybody has to say on the subject.

I formed my Auburn opinions a while back and moved on until if/when the other shoe drops. It'll probably be about 11 months before I invest much emotional capital into anything Auburn related.

This was my first season on the board. So I gotta ask if the whole "Auburn vs The World" is the ugliest things have ever gotten on the board? Obviously most Auburn fans are gonna state that it is, but I would be happy to hear what anybody has to say on the subject.

Since I've been here it has pretty much always gotten ugly between UGA and UF people. The end zone dance was an absolute riot on here... then the late timeouts in Florida's blowout the following year.

There have been plenty of 16 page hate threads between UGA and UF on here. :lol:

I have no hostility toward any Auburn fan and can carry on a decent discussion any subject. But I still think Nick Fairley is a cheap shot thug and Gene Chizik is a cheap shot thug for letting (or encouraging) Fairley play like one all season long. Any coach that will let their player hold an opponent down on the ground and scrape his chin with a face mask in a blatant attempt to cause injury, or spear a qb right in the back well after the ball is gone, after letting this thug play the same way all season, is a rogue coach in my book. I'd like to see him (the coach) taken down before one of his players causes serious injury with a cheap shot. And that opinion was formed before the Georgia Auburn game and has nothing to do with the fact I'm a georgia fan.

I'm also of the opinion that Cam Newton had full knowledge of the financial transactions of his father and would not be the least bit surprised to find that money changed hands with someone on Auburn's behalf. At one time I was neutral on whether Auburn did anything wrong, but when your coach proves to me that he's a cheater with no regard for anything but winning, then he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

If any Auburn fan considers those opinions inflammatory or antagonistic, so be it. If you don't like that perception of your program, might want to consider looking at your coach and your players. Or maybe consider how much goodwill you'll have the next time a team blatantly and repeatedly tries to injure your quarterback during a game, or how much respect you'll have for that team's coach who permitted that behavior for an entire season.

Edited by CalDawg

GT/UGA got pretty entertaining a couple of years ago but now not so much with order restored

yep we had over 200 fans (not referring to our regulars who post on this forum) who were either gt fans or uga haters who took over the board after that game. it reminded me when philly beat us when vick was our qb and how they took over the board. i would say something similar to this auburn thing was the kiffin hire and his comments and how he acted along with the vol fans defending was pretty bad. it was every fan base who couldn't believe the defense of him with how he acted and the disrespect kiffin showed to all teams in the sec. i thought it was appropriate though that kiffin spurned those same fans after 1 year in knoxville and they had to admit they were wrong the entire year in defending him. like with the auburn thing the kiffin hire pretty much had all opposing fans even ones who weren't in the sec at odds with another fan base's view.